+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 67
Other Stuff Thread, Do we have any photographers? in Fun Stuff; Crackin' photos Mike, love your subjects too......
  1. #46

    Little-Miss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,508
    Thank Post
    2,388
    Thanked 754 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    544
    Crackin' photos Mike, love your subjects too...

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kendal
    Posts
    1,555
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 177 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    71
    I'd stick another vote in for Canon kit - I used Canon kit all the way through my college course many years ago including the spectacular T90 (lovely camera).

  3. #48

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,655
    Thank Post
    1,259
    Thanked 783 Times in 680 Posts
    Rep Power
    236
    Has anyone tried using the firmware modification utilities for Canon cameras that let you use DSLR-like facilities on humble compacts?

    --
    David Hicks

  4. #49

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,592
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 769 Times in 598 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Has anyone tried using the firmware modification utilities for Canon cameras that let you use DSLR-like facilities on humble compacts?

    --
    David Hicks
    That must be an interesting update! Changing the lens on a compact camera

  5. #50
    Netman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    56.343515, -2.804118
    Posts
    911
    Thank Post
    367
    Thanked 190 Times in 143 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    I love HDR, something I do far to much of with my photos and I tend to goto extremes as well.

    Have one from me

    Mike
    Very nice Mike - what software is that done with? Photomatix or photoshop?

  6. #51

    maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,069
    Thank Post
    210
    Thanked 430 Times in 310 Posts
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    Very nice Mike - what software is that done with? Photomatix or photoshop?
    If I told you that, I'd have to kill you!

    It's actually neither of the above, although I have used photomatix before until I discovered This - It's so much easier than photomatix, with pretty interesting results as you can see.



    I won't post any more, I could fill this thread with them. (And yes that was a massive 10 foot high mirror)

    Thanks for the kind comments people

    Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 21st October 2008 at 07:18 PM.

  7. #52

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,655
    Thank Post
    1,259
    Thanked 783 Times in 680 Posts
    Rep Power
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    That must be an interesting update! Changing the lens on a compact camera
    No, for real! You can modify the standard firmware on Canon machines to let you save RAW images on compacts, do other processing, all sorts of fun stuff. I'll have to find the URL now...

    --
    David Hicks

  8. #53

    maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,069
    Thank Post
    210
    Thanked 430 Times in 310 Posts
    Rep Power
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    No, for real! You can modify the standard firmware on Canon machines to let you save RAW images on compacts, do other processing, all sorts of fun stuff. I'll have to find the URL now...

    --
    David Hicks
    I think this is what you're looking for, and it works brilliently!

    CHDK in Brief - CHDK Wiki

    Sorry if you've just spent the last ten minutes looking, but I happened to have it to hand.

    Mike.

  9. #54
    Netman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    56.343515, -2.804118
    Posts
    911
    Thank Post
    367
    Thanked 190 Times in 143 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    If I told you that, I'd have to kill you!

    It's actually neither of the above, although I have used photomatix before until I discovered This - It's so much easier than photomatix, with pretty interesting results as you can see.

    Mike.
    Great - that's worth some rep... thanks. I was just about to pull the trigger and buy Photomatix but will definitely try that first...

  10. #55

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,362
    Thank Post
    1,499
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Rep Power
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Lots of good advice here:
    Digital camera photo galleries, gallery database, info and forums

    Would avoid Sony unless you are "budget restricted" - the range of lenses is poor compared to Nikon & Canon...
    ouch Tom thats a bit harsh, (its like saying that smoothwall is budget constrained as its about £8K less than the equivalent Websense package - im joking btw yours is far better!!). As for your gripe with them, just buy the Minolta lenses and theres many many hundreds of them so plenty of choice and range of them

  11. #56
    Drummer_Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Near Dos_Box
    Posts
    183
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    I have had my Nikon D70 (with the S firmware update) for a few years now, and I love it.

    Ebay is you friend for lenses, and you don't have to buy the Nikon lenses, just 3rd party lenses with Nikon thread mounts.

    I have the 55mm lens that came with the camera, but bought a fixed focus f1.8 50mm lens on eBay for £50, and also a 55-300mm Sigma lens which as been fantastic.

    My top tip is, if you are thinking of shooting a lot of fast drive mode shots such as car races (or horse eventing if you are me) is to buy a more expensive high speed memory card (such as the San Disk Extreme and Ultra ranges). As what can happen is that your camera buffers the first few frames locally and then has to write them to the memory card. The faster the card the more shots you can take before the frame rate slows down.

  12. #57


    tom_newton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    4,475
    Thank Post
    867
    Thanked 850 Times in 672 Posts
    Rep Power
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    ouch Tom thats a bit harsh, (its like saying that smoothwall is budget constrained as its about £8K less than the equivalent Websense package - im joking btw yours is far better!!). As for your gripe with them, just buy the Minolta lenses and theres many many hundreds of them so plenty of choice and range of them
    I guess it might be a spot harsh I should admit now that I really don't like Sony kit of any type. Hmm... that reminds me - I need to re-image this bloody VAIO... we have only 3 left here, this one's going to live with those nice lads in tech support

    Back OT... even with minolta lenses you are looking at a lesser range, and Canon & Nikon have more lively 2nd hand markets.

  13. #58


    tom_newton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    4,475
    Thank Post
    867
    Thanked 850 Times in 672 Posts
    Rep Power
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummer_Boy View Post
    My top tip is, if you are thinking of shooting a lot of fast drive mode shots such as car races (or horse eventing if you are me) is to buy a more expensive high speed memory card (such as the San Disk Extreme and Ultra ranges). As what can happen is that your camera buffers the first few frames locally and then has to write them to the memory card. The faster the card the more shots you can take before the frame rate slows down.
    My top tip is... follow this guy's top tip whatever - you should ALWAYS shoot in "burst" mode - even if you are taking weddings, it means you're less likely to get one with people blinking, and you have 3 or 4 subtly different shots to pick the best (great for that confetti-shot). You will never regret a high speed memory card.. unless you buy on ebay which is full of fakes I have found it OK for lenses tho, got my 75-300IS on eBay

  14. #59

    Little-Miss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,508
    Thank Post
    2,388
    Thanked 754 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    544
    Oh, i learnt that tip for myself. My canon Ixus doesnt have any kind of anti-shake function on it and i haven't got the steadiest of hands so i find my canons "burst mode" helps a lot, especially with the Macros.

  15. #60

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Used both for over 20 Years, theres nothing in it, except the Nikon let me down on a Wedding shoot, and the Canons never have. L Series lenses are truely amazing....C

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •