+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, Do we have any photographers? in Fun Stuff; Crackin' photos Mike, love your subjects too......

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Crackin' photos Mike, love your subjects too...

Thank Post
    I'd stick another vote in for Canon kit - I used Canon kit all the way through my college course many years ago including the spectacular T90 (lovely camera).

Thank Post
    Has anyone tried using the firmware modification utilities for Canon cameras that let you use DSLR-like facilities on humble compacts?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Has anyone tried using the firmware modification utilities for Canon cameras that let you use DSLR-like facilities on humble compacts?

--
    David Hicks
    That must be an interesting update! Changing the lens on a compact camera

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    I love HDR, something I do far to much of with my photos and I tend to goto extremes as well.

Have one from me

Mike
    Very nice Mike - what software is that done with? Photomatix or photoshop?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    Very nice Mike - what software is that done with? Photomatix or photoshop?
    If I told you that, I'd have to kill you!

It's actually neither of the above, although I have used photomatix before until I discovered This - It's so much easier than photomatix, with pretty interesting results as you can see.

I won't post any more, I could fill this thread with them. (And yes that was a massive 10 foot high mirror)

Thanks for the kind comments people

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 21st October 2008 at 07:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    That must be an interesting update! Changing the lens on a compact camera
    No, for real! You can modify the standard firmware on Canon machines to let you save RAW images on compacts, do other processing, all sorts of fun stuff. I'll have to find the URL now...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    No, for real! You can modify the standard firmware on Canon machines to let you save RAW images on compacts, do other processing, all sorts of fun stuff. I'll have to find the URL now...

--
    David Hicks
    I think this is what you're looking for, and it works brilliently!

CHDK in Brief - CHDK Wiki

Sorry if you've just spent the last ten minutes looking, but I happened to have it to hand.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    If I told you that, I'd have to kill you!

It's actually neither of the above, although I have used photomatix before until I discovered This - It's so much easier than photomatix, with pretty interesting results as you can see.

Mike.
    Great - that's worth some rep... thanks. I was just about to pull the trigger and buy Photomatix but will definitely try that first...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Lots of good advice here:
    Digital camera photo galleries, gallery database, info and forums

Would avoid Sony unless you are "budget restricted" - the range of lenses is poor compared to Nikon & Canon...
    ouch Tom thats a bit harsh, (its like saying that smoothwall is budget constrained as its about £8K less than the equivalent Websense package - im joking btw yours is far better!!). As for your gripe with them, just buy the Minolta lenses and theres many many hundreds of them so plenty of choice and range of them

Thank Post
    I have had my Nikon D70 (with the S firmware update) for a few years now, and I love it.

Ebay is you friend for lenses, and you don't have to buy the Nikon lenses, just 3rd party lenses with Nikon thread mounts.

I have the 55mm lens that came with the camera, but bought a fixed focus f1.8 50mm lens on eBay for £50, and also a 55-300mm Sigma lens which as been fantastic.

My top tip is, if you are thinking of shooting a lot of fast drive mode shots such as car races (or horse eventing if you are me) is to buy a more expensive high speed memory card (such as the San Disk Extreme and Ultra ranges). As what can happen is that your camera buffers the first few frames locally and then has to write them to the memory card. The faster the card the more shots you can take before the frame rate slows down.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    ouch Tom thats a bit harsh, (its like saying that smoothwall is budget constrained as its about £8K less than the equivalent Websense package - im joking btw yours is far better!!). As for your gripe with them, just buy the Minolta lenses and theres many many hundreds of them so plenty of choice and range of them
    I guess it might be a spot harsh I should admit now that I really don't like Sony kit of any type. Hmm... that reminds me - I need to re-image this bloody VAIO... we have only 3 left here, this one's going to live with those nice lads in tech support

Back OT... even with minolta lenses you are looking at a lesser range, and Canon & Nikon have more lively 2nd hand markets.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummer_Boy View Post
    My top tip is, if you are thinking of shooting a lot of fast drive mode shots such as car races (or horse eventing if you are me) is to buy a more expensive high speed memory card (such as the San Disk Extreme and Ultra ranges). As what can happen is that your camera buffers the first few frames locally and then has to write them to the memory card. The faster the card the more shots you can take before the frame rate slows down.
    My top tip is... follow this guy's top tip whatever - you should ALWAYS shoot in "burst" mode - even if you are taking weddings, it means you're less likely to get one with people blinking, and you have 3 or 4 subtly different shots to pick the best (great for that confetti-shot). You will never regret a high speed memory card.. unless you buy on ebay which is full of fakes I have found it OK for lenses tho, got my 75-300IS on eBay

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh, i learnt that tip for myself. My canon Ixus doesnt have any kind of anti-shake function on it and i haven't got the steadiest of hands so i find my canons "burst mode" helps a lot, especially with the Macros.

Thank Post
    Used both for over 20 Years, theres nothing in it, except the Nikon let me down on a Wedding shoot, and the Canons never have. L Series lenses are truely amazing....C

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information