+ Post New Thread
Other Stuff Thread, Dark Knight in Fun Stuff; How good was that?! I was expecting an all action film, but wasn't expecting to walk away from the cinema ...

Thank Post

Dark Knight

How good was that?!

I was expecting an all action film, but wasn't expecting to walk away from the cinema wanting to see it again. I didn't want to enjoy the jokers character because I didn't want to be caught up in some heath ledger love fest, but he honestly steals the show, fantastic joker.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    heading to see it at the IMAX tonight

Thank Post
    Brilliant Film, Saw it last night.....

Thank Post
    I want to see it at IMAX but its booked solid until end of august!

Thank Post
    Saw it saturday night, amazing!! never thought anyone could replace Jack Nicholson as the joker but Heath Ledger made it his own - Superb.

Went and saw Hancock last night which was equally as good.

Thank Post
    Wonder what they are going to do with ledger being dead (i assume there will be another one)... I didnt think Hancock was that great.. it was ok but i think the funny bits were shown on the trailer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    apparently Chris Nolan wasn't planning on another one after this - but then he did say that after batman begins.

I'm a huge batman fan, and hated the old films - too camp, too far away from the comics.

The new crop though have been fantastic, even my superhero hating housemate loves them

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    apparently Chris Nolan wasn't planning on another one after this - but then he did say that after batman begins.

I'm a huge batman fan, and hated the old films - too camp, too far away from the comics.

The new crop though have been fantastic, even my superhero hating housemate loves them
    After rewatching the tim burton batman for the umpteenth, i must admit Jack Nicholsons joker did ham it up more than i remembered....but he still kept an element of the deranged pyscopath in the character - it wasn't just about playing for laughs. I think it's too easy to dismiss that film or jack nicholsons performance as not dark enough or not true to the comic...whatever that means. the subsequent films were shocking but Burton's Batman didn't have much to go on, other than previous tv show and cartoons. The 1989 film itself became the benchmark and Nolan has had that, the appalling joel schumacher films and umpteen reviews to learn from and create something better with Dark Night.

Plus 1989 and today are very different times, and very different audiences both films were pitching to. I was about 12 when i watched Batman, and while i may have had an ususually sheltered existence up to that point...i wasn't the only kid not exposed to gratiuitous violence and menace from computer games and films. It did it's job of appealing to a broad spectrum thus doing well at the box office, and did a good enough job to make a sequel a cetainty. It would probably be dismissed out of sight by the youth of today, that's why dark night had to be darker and ledgers joker more menacing.

I've never understood all the fuss about Batman Begins, to me the two feature films featuring the joker are where the franchise is at it's best.

Thank Post
    Surely they have to do another Batman, got to have Batman v the Penguin. Just wouldnt be batman without a rough up with the penguin !

Thank Post

Imax

I went to see it last night at the Glasgow Imax, the shots of Gotham City(Chicago) are amazing... Heath Ledgers performance breath taking.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I went to the Imax in glasgow last night too, the imax scenes were unreal, and blended in seamlessly with the regular widescreen stuff. The floor was shaking with the bass.. Non-stop action from start to finish.. Good Stuff

Thank Post
    The Dark Knight is almost a return to the original style of The Batman.

The grim vigilante who had once used a gun in his all-out war on crime (the idea of Batman's regularly using lethal force was nixed early on by a wise, far-thinking editorial fiat) would give way to a much more innocuous character.

Ugo's World of Batman
    He wasn't a nice character, and was intended as a more human antidote to the clean cut Superman. Though there is some debate as to the progenitor of the original Batman.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't seen it yet but will when I get time to go through to the IMAX here. I did find this mashup that may be relevant in a humerous way:
    Fresh Prince of Gotham from spoonbank

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread