+ Post New Thread
Other Stuff Thread, Printing: NCR paper - laser equivalent in Fun Stuff; This came out of a cry for help discussion on a printer related forum but I thought it might be ...
    Thank Post

Printing: NCR paper - laser equivalent

This came out of a cry for help discussion on a printer related forum but I thought it might be useful for any folks dealing with Admin related printing.

The old NCR: No Carbon Required paper which requires a daisy wheel or dot-matrix printer to punch the paper so the carbon layer imprints on the layer below seems to have been replaced with a laser equivalent.

Colored Laser Paper - Collated, Multi-part Invoice Paper

I also found something called a "towertray" which seems to be able to send a number of different coloured media through an HP laser (compatibles seems to be the 4000 series of HP Laser) which puts them through one at a time. Couldn't find much definitive on it though so it may not be much help...

Figured this might be useful for someone in the future...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wow! That's expensive!! $23 (say 11) for 500 sheets of paper compared to about a tenth of that for standard A4 paper. Wouldn't be so bad if it was NCR but it's just plain paper, packed in colour sets.

If you're using a lot of it then it would be cheaper to use multiple feed trays on a printer and just put the different colours in each tray. (We do this with the Kyocera printers; they will take at least 3 extra 500 sheet trays)

The other alternative would be to just use a colur laser and print a "wash" background on white paper so that you get a "yellow copy", "pink copy" etc.

Thank Post
    The key thing though Steve is having the driver or software handle the automation of multiple copies collated in order...

I've honestly not looked that hard at this before now so I'm probably behind the ball but I figured I'd throw it out there.. If you've got a better way to handle that sort of job I'm all ears

As to 1/10th the cost of a ream of A4?!! Where the heck do you get your paper?!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Harrow Business Services, Watford - I think we pay about 1.50 a ream (but we do buy an awful lot of the stuff - our central print ream does about 1,000,000 copies each September then there's all the other copiers and printers)

The only thing we print like this is purchase orders; they used to be done on 4 part stationery but it's a good few years ago that we moved to the laser system. With the Kyocera you can send a macro to the printer saying (eg) "print 4 copies of what follows, 1 on each tray". Not really sure about HP and other printers but I know they do have a job control language so I'd guess you can do something similar.

Failing that, can't you just have kids in detention collating the paper?? Or perhaps call it an art project :-)

Thank Post
    ROFLMAO... nice idea...

Thanks for the info on the macro side of things though... useful nugget for future ref

Thank Post

Brother MFC 6490

Im pretty much into the IT side in schools, not that I know that much but reading this has given me a good bit of knowledge that what I wanted to fo a few years ago can be done. only do about 1000 orders a year at my school but the NCR sounds good.

Can you get blank NCR paper which you can send through a printer then the bottom copy will copy what the departments write on the top copy? Thinking for internal req's. Like printing my own thing so you can change with times and not sitting on 10k copies to get a cheap price!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread