+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, Genesis thread in Fun Stuff; This has been on my mind since re-watching American Psycho where Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale) goes on a lengthy monologue ...
    Thank Post

Genesis thread

This has been on my mind since re-watching American Psycho where Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale) goes on a lengthy monologue about how Genesis evolved as a piece once Peter Gabriel left the band Phil Collins' presence becomes more noticeable, stating that Invisible Touch is their masterpiece. I can't help but think he's inherently wrong and that it will always be The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, but maybe he was right about just the one song.

So yeah, discuss all things Genesis.

Thank Post
    Eeew, yuch! I can't stand "Phil Collins" in Sugar-pop mode.

The Lamb is definitely up there as a great concept album, but with some weak material padding it out. Selling England by the Pound is probably my favourite stand alone Genesis album but "Suppers Ready" from Foxtrot still has the power to send shivers down my spine so gets my favourite Genesis track vote.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally always felt that Mike & The Mechanics and Peter Gaberials solo stuff was better, but I do prefer post Gaberial Genesis to the Gaberial era (yes "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" rocks, as does "I Know What I Like In Your Waldrobe" (I think that's the title)).

Personally I say Genesis's best output was with Ray Wilson (Stilitskin - Inside). Love the title track for the Congo album.

Edit: My bad! Album was called "Calling All Stations". Congo was the lead single - still a great track.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 28th April 2014 at 01:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Yeah, Selling England By The Pound is probably my favourite after that.

And admittedly, I don't mind Collins' solo career if you take it at face value for what it is, catchy pop songs about love wahwahwah, although I can't help but catch any hints of irony what with divorcing one of his wives by fax.

Thank Post
    PG's solo stuff is very good and probably gets more playtime from me than Genesis, Melt and So being relatively frequent visitors to the pcstru playlist. They all tend to transport me back to my teens and early twenties. Ah, nostalgia ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjames View Post
    face value
    Deliberate pun? If not, a nice coincidence ;-)

Thank Post
    The album I listen to most is the "Seconds Out" live double. It really is the "best of..."

PG has done great stuff since leaving; touring still, with new UK dates added this year if you missed him last autumn.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    "It's one o'clock and time for lunch" (well, nearly)

MASSIVE Genesis fan here -got all the albums. Best band of all time
    I think the early stuff is more progressive and perhaps a bit more difficult to understand. My favourite era is after Peter Gabriel left but before the move to the more "poppy" stuff. Having said that, I like ABACAB and Duke.

I prefer PC's singing on tracks like Supper's Ready and Lamb Lies Down, I think he has a better voice than PG.
    Carpet Crawl is one of my favourite tracks - as sung by PC it definitely sends shivers up my spine.
    I think mrwITch would say that Foxtrot is his album of choice - mine is the live Seconds Out album (Paris?)
    I have most of the albums by the members of Genesis, past and present. I really love Steve Hackett and Tony Banks, as well as Mike and the Mechanics and even Bill Bruford who used to tour with them.
    I do have the PC albums too and I enjoy them for what they are.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For Genesis, and the various off-shoots, I'm a more "pick 'n' mix" listener. Don't think I like/own any one complete album. We Can't Dance might be the closest (and my favourite of the PC era).

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    and Tony Banks,

Love this track!

Thank Post
    Only time I've seen PG was with the New Blood orchestra a few years at Hop Farm, was fantastic to hear some his songs like that. Was on holiday during that So tour, meh.

Thank Post
    Seconds Out has to be one of the best live albums ever - the live versions of some of the earlier songs are far better than the studio versions which sometimes sound a little under produced to me - the depth of sound they got in the live versions is missing in the earlier studio albums. Although there is stuff I like on all their albums my favourite is probably "A Trick of the Tail" which is somewhat whimsical in parts but has some lovely songs on it and is probably the peak of their older style work before they started to get a little more "poppy". Lamb has some classic tracks on it, but there is too much filler on there for me to consider it one of their best.

Thank Post
    For me I think "And Then There Were Three" has to be my personal favourite. I first saw them in the post PG era at Knebworth back in the '70s and have seen them a couple of times since.

Thank Post
    I queued all night outside the Southampton Gaumont for seats for the ATTWT tour. In the days before "on-line" ticketing... Gods it was cold!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I walked out on a Peter Gabriel gig once (shock-horror!).

It was Hyde Park Calling in 2007 (can't belive it was that long ago!). Great Saturday lineup. Ghosts followed by a new up and coming band called The Feeling doing tracks from their debut Twelve Stops And Home. Then a newly reformed Crowded House (who I'd gone there particuarly to see). Then Peter Gabriel.

Nice sunny day. Neil Finn (Crowded House) joking about the weather in Glastonbury (held on the same weekend). And then he sung Four Seasons in One Day and the heavens opened. Never been so wet in all my life. By the end of Crowded House's shorter than expected set it was bright sunshine again. When Peter came on we were shivering but looking forward to some old classics.

He kicked of with his new world stuff. After three or four unfamiliar tracks we got bored and headed home. No doubt he rocked the stage later in the set with all the songs we wanted to hear, but we were far too cold and wet and bored to wait around for them!

Thank Post
    I'm, counting outttttttttttttttttttttttt time

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast