+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, GUITAR! Do you play? in Fun Stuff; Hi All, Just putting this out there... As I've fallen a bit out of love with it for a long ...
    Thank Post

GUITAR! Do you play?

Hi All,

Just putting this out there... As I've fallen a bit out of love with it for a long time, I've picked it up again now and then, but realised I'll never be the next Steve Vai. Work and family put being in a band out of the question for about 15 years and I never put enough practise time in.

What set-up/gear do you have?

Fave guitarists?

How long you've been playing?

Anything really!

I'll start:

Playing for - *cough*over 20 years*cough* on and off (should be so much better).
    Gear - Almost too much to mention! About 10 guitars ranging from a Strat to a classical, amps from Fender and Marshall. Zoom and POD effects pedals.
    Fave guitarists - Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert (yes I'm a speed freak)!
    Style - Blues, Metal, anything that is guitar based and ROCKS! But can easily listen to classical guitar!

Kol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 831 Posts
    I do but like you I've fallen out of love with it.

Been playing for 15 years, but with long breaks in that time. I probably play to the level of someone who has practised well for a couple of years!

Classic rock and blues are my thing, favourite guitarists being Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Slash, Aynsley Lister, Keith Richards, Joe Perry... I could go on!

Got all sorts of pedals that I rarely use since buying a Fender Champ X2, which is now my only amp.

Guitars are a Gibson LP, Danelectro DC-59, a Yamaha EG112 (my first electric, pre-Pacifica but identical in all meaningful aspects, I heavily modded it with all black hardware, 13's, dual covered humbuckers, bolted bridge and custom electronics - it was intended for slide but I suck at slide!), an Epiphone Dove for when I feel like getting mellow and a little handmade baglamas the missus bought me in Greece one year.

My problem is I have no patience. I want instant results!

I have been thinking of getting one of the Rocksmith games recently to see if it renews my interest...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've been playing (more off than on) since I was about 8. Only in the last couple of years have I actually started to "get good" (by which I mean - "I can play barre chords now"). The turnaround started with Rock Band 3 Pro Mode and major kudos to Ubisoft's Rocksmith. Started playing Bass last year - wow, so much fun!!!

Guitars....

3/4 size Encore classical guitar, Marlin by Hohner SG100 (el cheapo Fender Strat rip off), A full size Encore accoustic, A cheap Fender Elctro-Accoustic, Alden Dorchester-12, Inspire Instruments YouRock Guitar, and my two baby's....

56225_l.jpg

and

DV016_Jpg_Large_1337699308086_A.jpg

Got some pedals my brother in law gave me but never use them (not even sure what they are), An old Cry Baby, couple of Fender/Squire practice amps and AmpKit/Amplitude/iRig on the iPad.

Grow up wanting to be Hank Marvin, then Brian May. Neil Finn's son Liam is insane, and Glen Teelbrook of Squeeze is probably the best guitarist I've seen live (wow, just wow!).

Style - what ever RockSmith 2014 and it's DLC throws at me. Not good enough to have my own "style". Favourite track to play lead is probably Thrill Is Gone by B.B.King.

Thank Post
    Indeed playing since 2004/5 but not picked it up for about 3 years - kids etc...that's who I blame anyway! so not very good.

Just a Line6 Spider 3 75w and pacifica 115 and a jackson kelly and classical acoustic and coupla pedals - Demon Wah and some other fuzzes

death,metal,groove metal etc.... Bleeding Through, Carcass, Avenged Sevenfold, Arch Enemy, Hatebreed, Galactic Cowboys, Volbeat.

Mainy i just fanny around on it and that suits me.
    Last edited by mole; 25th February 2014 at 01:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I've been playing (more off than on) since I was about 8. Only in the last couple of years have I actually started to "get good" (by which I mean - "I can play barre chords now"). The turnaround started with Rock Band 3 Pro Mode and major kudos to Ubisoft's Rocksmith. Started playing Bass last year - wow, so much fun!!!

Guitars....

3/4 size Encore classical guitar, Marlin by Hohner SG100 (el cheapo Fender Strat rip off), A full size Encore accoustic, A cheap Fender Elctro-Accoustic, Alden Dorchester-12, Inspire Instruments YouRock Guitar, and my two baby's....

56225_l.jpg

and

DV016_Jpg_Large_1337699308086_A.jpg

Got some pedals my brother in law gave me but never use them (not even sure what they are), An old Cry Baby, couple of Fender/Squire practice amps and AmpKit/Amplitude/iRig on the iPad.

Grow up wanting to be Hank Marvin, then Brian May. Neil Finn's son Liam is insane, and Glen Teelbrook of Squeeze is probably the best guitarist I've seen live (wow, just wow!).

Style - what ever RockSmith 2014 and it's DLC throws at me. Not good enough to have my own "style". Favourite track to play lead is probably Thrill Is Gone by B.B.King.
    Always wanted to get into guitar, would you recommend rocksmith for a complete novice???

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Always wanted to get into guitar, would you recommend rocksmith for a complete novice???
    Yes, yes, yes, and er - yes! Mixed in with a bit of Justin Guitar | Free Guitar Lessons and you should pick it up pretty quickly.

I don't really want to be a musician as such. Just happy strumming away at home. RockSmith as let me really play some fantastic songs and totally improved my playing and opened up my musical tastes.

Seriously the best guitar purchase I've ever made!

Thank Post
    Wow, that's some nice gear!

My Fender amp is a 100w Silver Face Twin-Reverb valve amp (from my Dad) which was built in the sixties or something! It weighs a ton and needs a service, but sounds lovely.

I have a glass slide somewhere and I too suck at it! Heavy strings, open tuning and a high action needed for sure...

My one orange Boss DS distortion pedal and Digitech Whammy (which I only bought to emulate Satriani and Vai) have sat in the loft for years since I discovered my Zoom 9002 and when that died, my 8080! I also had an original Cry-Baby wah and a WEM copicat which I sold for literally a few pounds (*boo-hoo* hope my Dad never finds out!).

I use the Zoom with the Fender amp if I can be bothered to dig it all out, but have a Line 6 Pocket Pod hooked up to my PC for ease.

My first guitar my dad built, then I had some horrible Marlin thing (which got stolen thank god) a Fender 12 string acoustic and aquired an old Hondo II (Les Paul style copy) from somewhere, then got a rare Squier HMIII strat in a second hand shop. Guitar wise, I have an old Ibanez RGR321EX for the heavy stuff (drop D anyone?), Fender Stratocaster (Mexican *sniff*) for bluesy stuff, an LAG Arcane A200 Honey Shadow for 80's hair metal stuff! Loads of other random ones (Epiphone G-400 SG Gothic, Washburn WI-65 PRO, CRAFTER GAE-8 electro-acoustic, Encore 7F-B electro-acoustic, Honer HC-06 classical, TANGLEWOOD TCC SC E electro-acoustic classical and even a STAGG BC300-N bass), mostly from ebay.

I think I went through a stage of thinking my rubbish playing was the guitars fault and not my fingers lol!

Amps apart from the Fender are a Kustom Dual 35 DFX and I have just been gifted a load of amps including, a Carlsboro GLX 85, Ashdown Engineering MAG 300 and cab, and various other heads and cabs (including a Marshall stack) that I'm currently sorting through...

Love the Stevie Ray Vaughan stuff and spent a lot of time learning the G'n'R - Appetite for Destruction songs! But I too am like you with wanting instant results (although I have put a lot of time into learning the scales and chords, my memory is a bit fish like) I just pick out a bit of the song I like, I don't think I've ever learnt a song the whole way through!

Also I think buying the new gear thing always sparks my interest for a while! GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) haha, I've started putting my guitars on the wall in the bedroom and the amps are lining up against the wall (the other half is really... not impressed).

Kol.
    Last edited by Koldov; 25th February 2014 at 02:24 PM.

Thank Post
    I have a guitar and I try to play it.

It's only a Squire Strat so only very entry level. I'd love to have lessons but can't find the time to have them.

Thank Post
    There's a few in our house, shame really because my playing's probably on par with a cat running down the fretboard.
    Currently got three electrics (Fender 2001 Tele, Yamaha Pacifica 115 and an Atlas Luxurious), an acoustic (Custom Washburn) and a bass (Some cheap fender..thing).

The amps are all just cheap little things that I don't even know the brand of.. I only really use my guitar when sat in a loading screen or something, know the odd intro / riff here and there, I'll eventually try and pick it up properly :P

On the guitarists front, Steve Vai (went to see him in August, aweeesome), Devin Townsend and Joe Satriani.

My stepdad used to tab country music, and played a lot of Vai, Satriani etc when he was younger, so I grew up around guitars and something musical being on at all times. Most of the guitars up there are his, shame we don't have the old ones any more, had a Jem, a Strat and a Schecter at various points through the past few years.
    Last edited by DMcGuigan; 25th February 2014 at 02:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Use too when I was 16-20. Used my stepdads Gibson Les Paul custom

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i'll resist the urge to make a rude comment about one of those sentances.... @tmcd35

May be something worth investing in..... anyone recommend a good cheap entry level electric guitar???

oxymoron alert...
    Last edited by Tesla; 25th February 2014 at 02:34 PM.

Thank Post
    i'll resist the urge to make a rude comment about one of those sentances.... @tmcd35

May be something worth investing in..... anyone recommend a good cheap entry level electric guitar???
    I've not had a fault with my Squire Strat. Was only about £100 with a little 10w amp.

I also have a Zoom G1x (G1 / G1X obsolete now I think) Which, for me, makes playing more fun as I can easily switch effects/sounds. Also let me play with headphones on which the Mrs loves.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What, you got something against the way I strum?

eh-hum, on topic...

The problem with cheap guitars (as I found out with my old Merlin) is intonation. The further down the fretboard you go the more out of tune it gets. It's why I paid out for the PRS Custom SE which has a fixed bridge and is intoned at factory - it's a "mid-range" guitar at around £600. I'm sure you can pick up something suitable for less, but I haven't really looked at the market. This is probably the best place for answers: Electric Guitars | Reviews @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

RockSmith, because of the way it listens on the RealTone cable, is very picky about intonation.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    that's a bummer, i don't know how into playing guitar i'd get, so don't want to spend a lot on something i may, in the end, stop using.

i'll stick to guitar hero ( i can do most songs on expert!), for now, lol.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    I've not had a fault with my Squire Strat. Was only about £100 with a little 10w amp.
    Cheers, theres some used ones going on e-bay going for less.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast