+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, Amazon Prime in Fun Stuff; I think the school could do with getting Prime, I may use the movies myself though....

Thank Post
    I think the school could do with getting Prime, I may use the movies myself though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @securesystems, the streaming is great for me, I've not had a problem with it. As for the next day delivery, definitely worth it as I make more than 3 orders a month, so I definitely get my moneys worth. Bare in mind, even with the price hike, the streaming cost if you were to pay separately for the the lovefilm online service is £59.88 for a year, so the remaining £19.12 is used for the next day deliveries. It works out very well, especially if you factor in christmas or birthdays, you can have lots of deliveries for that cost!

Thank Post
    Over the weekend I discovered that my wife has signed up for this. She wasn't aware so I assume at some point she signed up for the free trial and ended up paying for it. Anyway, I want to take advantage of it now she has paid for the year and wanted to try the lovefilm aspect of it. But I wanted to know if it is possible to watch film/tv offline? I bought a nexus for Christmas and while it has worked well in the house streaming media I wondered if I could watch things offline when I'm travelling? I read recently that youtube offered the ability to watch offline which would cache the video for 30 days and if Lovefilm did something similar this could be quite useful for me.

Do they offer anything like this or is it streaming only?

- - - Updated - - -

Over the weekend I discovered that my wife has signed up for this. She wasn't aware so I assume at some point she signed up for the free trial and ended up paying for it. Anyway, I want to take advantage of it now she has paid for the year and wanted to try the lovefilm aspect of it. But I wanted to know if it is possible to watch film/tv offline? I bought a nexus for Christmas and while it has worked well in the house streaming media I wondered if I could watch things offline when I'm travelling? I read recently that youtube offered the ability to watch offline which would cache the video for 30 days and if Lovefilm did something similar this could be quite useful for me.

Do they offer anything like this or is it streaming only?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    streaming only I think. You will have to check the small print!

- - - Updated - - -

streaming only I think. You will have to check the small print!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Do they offer anything like this
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    couldn't see anything for offline viewing.
    Amazon Instant videos can only be downloaded to iPads and Kindle Fires.
    Last edited by Arthur; 24th March 2014 at 11:36 AM.

Thank Post
    I did read a bit, but couldn't see anything for offline viewing. Shame really as it would have been really useful.

- - - Updated - - -

I did read a bit, but couldn't see anything for offline viewing. Shame really as it would have been really useful.

Thank Post
    I love Prime. It's brilliant. I'm less enthusiastic about the LoveFilm side of it and it really irks me that you can't sign up for the 'modules' separately. I guess it's how Amazon are recouping their losses after the acquisition. I have installed the app on my phone, tablet and Xbox but when we went to view something there was nothing on there we either wanted to see or hadn't seen before. Even so, despite the exorbitant price rise I will still pursue my prime subscription next year because I use it SO much and there is a little known 'Amazon Family' aspect to prime that you can sign up for that gives you 20% discount on Nappies and other baby-related accessories so when LeBoyfriend and I start our family it will come in handy and the ability to have free next day delivery on everything I buy is brilliant. Amazon customer service isn't the worst in the world either.

I will say this though (and for me this is a decisive factor): If you select next day delivery, your parcel will be sent by DPD, ParcelForce or UPS. So it will actually get to you. If you don't, it might go via Yodel. So you might not get it at all. For me, the DPD delivery is worth £79 a year given the amount of stuff I buy on there.

- - - Updated - - -

I love Prime. It's brilliant. I'm less enthusiastic about the LoveFilm side of it and it really irks me that you can't sign up for the 'modules' separately. I guess it's how Amazon are recouping their losses after the acquisition. I have installed the app on my phone, tablet and Xbox but when we went to view something there was nothing on there we either wanted to see or hadn't seen before. Even so, despite the exorbitant price rise I will still pursue my prime subscription next year because I use it SO much and there is a little known 'Amazon Family' aspect to prime that you can sign up for that gives you 20% discount on Nappies and other baby-related accessories so when LeBoyfriend and I start our family it will come in handy and the ability to have free next day delivery on everything I buy is brilliant. Amazon customer service isn't the worst in the world either.

I will say this though (and for me this is a decisive factor): If you select next day delivery, your parcel will be sent by DPD, ParcelForce or UPS. So it will actually get to you. If you don't, it might go via Yodel. So you might not get it at all. For me, the DPD delivery is worth £79 a year given the amount of stuff I buy on there.

Thank Post
    I decided not to keep prime after the trial I had. The streaming element didn't have much that appealed to me and although I liked getting my orders faster I'd rather keep my £49 and wait that bit longer. Although I probably would have kept it on if I had people to split the price with.

Thank Post
    Thanks @AMLightfoot - I never knew about the 'Amazon Family' I'll have to look that up as we have a 1 year old and that could prove useful. I did have a look at the lovefilm aspect last night (as in the listed shows) and was quite disappointed with the shows as again either I had seen them or wasn't interested in watching. Still I might give it a go as we have already paid.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks @AMLightfoot - I never knew about the 'Amazon Family' I'll have to look that up as we have a 1 year old and that could prove useful. I did have a look at the lovefilm aspect last night (as in the listed shows) and was quite disappointed with the shows as again either I had seen them or wasn't interested in watching. Still I might give it a go as we have already paid.

Thank Post
    Just used prime for the first time. Ordered items late Saturday arrived Sunday. Really liked the old Love film not as keen on the new version.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Amazon to invest in the Yodel delivery service « The Guardian

Amazon has struck a deal with the Barclay brothers, owners of the Ritz hotel and Telegraph newspaper titles, to acquire a stake in Yodel, which was recently voted Britain's worst parcel delivery service for the second year running.

More than 10% of Amazon's $75bn (£45.5bn) global revenues are thought to be made up of sales to customers in the UK, although the US group controversially books these transactions through its Luxembourg-based office.

The decision to strike a deal with Yodel appears to signal that Amazon is prepared to support Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay's loss-making business in the crowded parcel delivery market.

Yodel accounts show Amazon has been given an option to acquire 4.2% of Yodel in a deal which values the business at £207m. The option to acquire the stake for £8.7m remains open until 2022.

Thank Post
    WHY? Why would they do such a thing? The minute prime goes over to using Yodel I will be cancelling my subscription.

Thank Post
    The £80 per year is almost worth it just to not use Yodel

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    The £80 per year is almost worth it just to not use Yodel
    Almost? It's a decisive factor for me! Here's hoping they don't make 'Amazon delivery' the defacto for Prime. Yodel couldn't deliver sand to a beach.

Thank Post
    Who delivers prime at the moment?
    Last edited by Nugget; 25th March 2014 at 05:39 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast