+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Other Stuff Thread, Heroes Reborn: 2015 in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave Problem with SciFi/Fantasy is that it costs a whole lot more to produce than your standard ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Problem with SciFi/Fantasy is that it costs a whole lot more to produce than your standard drama. Everything needs creating from the ground up unlike your typical crime drama where you could just pop to the shops for costumes and get a lot of fake blood.

So if you're investing in such a show you want it to be a Game of Thrones / Battlestar Galactice 2003, and not Heroes (season 3/3) or SGU (no viewers). Or you'll never get your money back.

Edit:

Also most fantasy novels and series have an awesome scope spread acorss several books. It takes balls to back something for such a long period. I think That the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan would make a fantastic fantasy TV series, but you'd find it hard to get a studio to back a series to cover all 14 books IMO.
    I'm not sure that's entirely true. Props aren't *that* expensive to build, and they get reused constantly throughout a show. Look at something like Firefly - most scenes were on their ship set. So, location shooting is relatively limited - and when they do a location, they choose a random bit of desert so have low costs in terms of shutting roads etc... Not to mention, the costumes are pretty constant too - you don't have lots of costume changes 'day to day' (hence signature looks like the brown coat in Firefly).

The expensive bit as far as I can tell is the CGI. Done right, CGI costs a fortune. However, once the 3D models of ships are built, its a lot cheaper to reuse them in new scenes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Blake's Seven... to be remade... say no more

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Blake's Seven... to be remade... say no more
    Begging to b done i'd say! I love the original, the story was fantastic and it was brutal for the time.

However, who doesn't want to see the Liberator in beautiful CGI? I know I do. And providing they keep the serious outlook and grim reality that the crew face I think it'd be a hit.

Thank Post
    Robert Jordans WoT there is enough scope in the books to make a couple of stand aloneish stories and see what the reception is like

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'm not sure that's entirely true. Props aren't *that* expensive to build, and they get reused constantly throughout a show. Look at something like Firefly - most scenes were on their ship set. So, location shooting is relatively limited - and when they do a location, they choose a random bit of desert so have low costs in terms of shutting roads etc... Not to mention, the costumes are pretty constant too - you don't have lots of costume changes 'day to day' (hence signature looks like the brown coat in Firefly).

The expensive bit as far as I can tell is the CGI. Done right, CGI costs a fortune. However, once the 3D models of ships are built, its a lot cheaper to reuse them in new scenes.
    Totally agree with this, if the idea behind the show is sound you can get away with a limited budget. CGI 3D models of ships can be left for future seasons when the show has taken off. See Red Dwarf

While we are listing show we would like to see back I would like another series of Paradox from the BBC. Mostly because my wife really enjoyed it, and she is not normally a fan of Sci-fi
    Last edited by JJonas; 24th February 2014 at 09:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    I did enjoy the cheerleader, but like Lost it got dragged out far too much.

If its anything like the awful tomorrow People that's just come out run for the hills
    watched the first few episodes of that and then just gave in it diddnt seem to be going anywhere almost felt like a cut down version of heroes crossed with tmnt where everyone had the same powers and lived in the sewer

Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    What I never understood is why Hollywood (and whever the TV Co's are based) insist on the constant remakes and "remimagings"?

There must be 100's, if not 1000's, of quality original Sci-Fi/Fantasy novels out there that could be adapted. Look at Game of Thrones and Walking Dead for instance.
    yes but if you release a say star trek/gate series you have a premade audience at least for the first 1/2 season even if its utter pap and there is less need to generate hype as fans will do that way before it ever airs

Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Totally agree with this, if the idea behind the show is sound you can get away with a limited budget. CGI 3D models of ships can be left for future seasons when the show has taken off. See Red Dwarf

While we are listing show we would like to see back I would like another series of Paradox from the BBC. Mostly because my wife really enjoyed it, and she is not normally a fan of Sci-fi
    red dward is an oddball though as at least imo its not sci-fi as much as a sitcom that happens to be set in space
    Last edited by sted; 24th February 2014 at 09:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,003 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Please don't be carp please don't be carp please don't be carp

I loved the first season, absolutely adored it, but after that it dropped off remarkably fast. As I understand it the original plan was to have a whole new cast of Heroes every season, but then they got so successful in their first run that they bottled it and invented some rubbish new arc with the existing characters. Add in the aforementioned Writers' Strike... (remember Peter's Irish girlfriend? Got abandoned in the disease-ridden apocalypse future and never mentioned again? That was because of the strike.)

I also think I would break a great many laws and morals for the guarantee of new Firefly, though I fear too many threads were cut short in Serenity for it to be worth bringing back - the original run had enough mysteries for four or five seasons.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,960 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tomorrows people was awful. The concept seemed cool, almost an Xmen quality too it, but it got generic and samey and I haven't watched beyond episode 3 it bored me that much.

Take Arrow - not exactly SciFi, but it is a show which for the 1st season had a shoestring budget, season 2 had much more of a budget so they could afford to do a lot more, and season 3s budget is expected to surpass season 1 and 2 combined. It tried to stay "real" but still based on the comics, and now is delving into proper superhero abilities (Mirakuru, Deathstroke, The Flash) and has opened up for the Flash to start soon as well. The DC universe will stand in better stead being like this show than film based and I can imagine stretching to batman and hopefully Superman and Green Lantern.

Look at other SciFi, SGU - ended terribly, season 2 was too stretched out, ended on a poor cliffhanger. Heroes quality dropped to the point we were glad it ended. Alphas should have been renewed but wasn't of which I am gutted.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Begging to b done i'd say! I love the original, the story was fantastic and it was brutal for the time.

However, who doesn't want to see the Liberator in beautiful CGI? I know I do. And providing they keep the serious outlook and grim reality that the crew face I think it'd be a hit.
    I loved it too. It was dark. Very dark. I think if it were done it needs the same tone, a game of thrones darkness to it. And yes the liberator in CGI...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tomorrow People is utterly shocking. It is that crappy Mutant X combined with Smallville... Both awful!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12