+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, Graphic Novels in Fun Stuff; I thought I had already started this topic a while back but can't seem to find it now... Well I've ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts

Graphic Novels

I thought I had already started this topic a while back but can't seem to find it now...

Well I've been wanting to get into graphic novels for a while now, read/watched a lot of Manga as a teen and started to read Bleach but the Japanese humour isn't doing it for me at the moment, so decided to pick up some graphic novels. I've always been a fan of Batman so it seemed a good place to start. So far I have read Year One and The Killing Joke, and I am going to start The Dark Knight Rises tonight. Love what I've read so far, TKJ especially was fantastic.

So my question is, what next? At some point I know I have to read Watchmen and at the other end of the scale I fancy having a look at The Walking Dead (I didn't stick with the series but hear the graphic novels tell the story better). As for Batman, I think The Long Halloween might be my next unless there are any other recommendations? Wouldn't mind reading more about the Bruce Wayne/Barbara Gordon relationship (it was a bit of a shock getting a glimpse in to it in TKJ) but don't really know where to start with that.

Up to now, I've been using this free Kindle book from DC for recommendations but for obvious reasons they're all DC/MAD/Vertigo and while I like a lot of the DC characters, I'm also (theoretically at least as I've only seen them in movies) interested in Thor and Ironman: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Entertainmen...+graphic+novel

So I guess my question is if you were just starting to get in to graphic novels, which would you read first?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you want to read Batman, The Dark Knight Returns is absolutely what you want to be reading. Though that may be what you meant by Dark Knight Rises, as that's the name of the third movie, not a graphic novel (AFAIK).

Watchmen is incredible in graphic novel form, don't judge it on the movie. Alan Moore specifically set out to make something that took advantage of the medium and that wouldn't translate across to anything else.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman series is always spoken of highly, but I've never had the money around to actually buy & read it

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Ballad of Halo Jones: The Complete Ballad of Halo Jones (2000 Ad): Amazon.co.uk: Alan Moore, Ian Gibson: Books One of the best, and another winner from Alan Moore too
    Oh, and DR and Quinch: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-D-R.../dp/1906735883 if you want a giggle!
    I'm also a big fan of MegaTokyo. You can read it online of buy the books (which are better for following the story narrative) and are full of geeky humour: MegaTokyo - [1] E3 Nightmare Begins

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    100 Bullets is really cool, with a long running series http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Bullets-.../dp/1563896451

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    If you want to read Batman, The Dark Knight Returns is absolutely what you want to be reading. Though that may be what you meant by Dark Knight Rises, as that's the name of the third movie, not a graphic novel (AFAIK).

Watchmen is incredible in graphic novel form, don't judge it on the movie. Alan Moore specifically set out to make something that took advantage of the medium and that wouldn't translate across to anything else.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman series is always spoken of highly, but I've never had the money around to actually buy & read it
    You're totally correct, I did mean Dark Knight Returns I'll be starting that one tonight

I have heard a lot of people singing Watchmen's praises so it's definitely on my reading list

Sandman is another I keep hearing crop up so I'll add that to the list too

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The Ballad of Halo Jones: The Complete Ballad of Halo Jones (2000 Ad): Amazon.co.uk: Alan Moore, Ian Gibson: Books One of the best, and another winner from Alan Moore too
    Oh, and DR and Quinch: The Complete D.R. & Quinch: Amazon.co.uk: Alan Moore: Books if you want a giggle!
    I'm also a big fan of MegaTokyo. You can read it online of buy the books (which are better for following the story narrative) and are full of geeky humour: MegaTokyo - [1] E3 Nightmare Begins
    2000AD - totally forgot about those! Read a few when I was a teenager but it was annoyingly difficult to buy from my local newsagent.

That MegaTokyo looks interesting too, thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    100 Bullets is really cool, with a long running series http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Bullets-.../dp/1563896451
    Sounds excellent -added to the list!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't know what's available here, but may be worth a look. Came accross is (old resource, btw) a couple of days ago when I was reminiscing about ACE computer magazine...

https://archive.org/details/comics

For those who want to delve into the delight of ancient computer periodicals...

https://archive.org/details/computermagazines

Thank Post
    Transmetropolitan. Warren Ellis in general.

Thank Post
    DC - Identity Crisis is a pretty damn good read and the batman Hush story arc i liked.

Elseworld series by DC, Redson in which superman lands in russia and not america is also another fav of mine.

Marvel - Civil war was ok

I know of others but cant think of them right now will have to look at my collection.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just off the top of my head, in no particular order:

From Hell
    Alice in Sunderland
    Watchmen
    V for Vendetta
    The Frank Book
    Superf**kers
    Maus
    Persepolis
    Judge Dredd case files
    The Walking Dead
    The Hellblazer series
    The Lucifer series
    The Tale of One Bad Rat
    Promethea
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series
    Grandville and Grandville Mon Amour
    Sin City series
    Chew
    Fatale

Thank Post
    Something a little different - Logicomix - an epic search for truth

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Surpised @nephilim hasn't posted yet!

It's always worth getting the DC crisis novels, they're suitably epic! And also the Kingdom come novel!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    can't post now...working...lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Righty...good reads

Judge Dredd Complete - fantastic graphic novel.
    Any of the Marvel Essential graphic novels - covers the original origins of the marvel heroes and their beginning stories and enemies.
    "Greatest" - DC - Get any of the Greatest ones by DC. They have great story lines, good team ups and cover varying bad guys also.
    Beyond the universe - DC - again, great storylines, but go far and beyond what people are used too for the characters.

Vertigo (Publisher) - most of these are good reads, but be prepared for characters you are not used too or who seem obscure with their abilities.

Thank Post
    My Amazon wishlist is expanding
    @ICTDirect_Dave - the DC Crisis series looks interesting, but I can't tell whether there is a continuous story arc (i.e. is there a particular one I should start with) or if they each stand alone?
    @sparkeh - that's one hell of a list! If I said to you you're only allowed to keep three of those (series) and the rest must be burned forever, which would you choose?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast