+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, Graphic Novels in Fun Stuff; With the DC infinite Crisis, as with the DC 1 million, each takes place in the view of the character, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,435 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With the DC infinite Crisis, as with the DC 1 million, each takes place in the view of the character, so you could pick one, read, then pick another and read and get a different view point. I would always suggest start with Superman or Green lantern with the infinite crisis and DC 1 millions and then work through alphabetically. Mainly because Green lantern features most of the other heroes within his story arc compared to say batman or superman or aquaman or wonder woman etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 818 Posts
    @nephilim - OK from your recomendations added Judge Dredd Complete Case Files and Marvel Essential Avengers (thinking that will be a good leaping off point for some of Marvel's biggest names),

When you say DC "Greatest", is this the kind of thing you mean? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-Great...ds=dc+greatest

Struggling to find the "Beyond the Universe" series on Amazon, keeps coming up Batman Beyond...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    With the DC infinite Crisis, as with the DC 1 million, each takes place in the view of the character, so you could pick one, read, then pick another and read and get a different view point. I would always suggest start with Superman or Green lantern with the infinite crisis and DC 1 millions and then work through alphabetically. Mainly because Green lantern features most of the other heroes within his story arc compared to say batman or superman or aquaman or wonder woman etc.
    Are they quite hard to get hold of or am I just looking in the wrong places? The only places I really know are Amazon and Forbidden Planet and neither throw up much searching for Infinite Crisis...

If anyone is interested, here's my reading list so far: http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2VEUBVN73SUVK

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Transmetropolitan. Warren Ellis in general.
    Transmetropolitan is a great call...

Also Y: The last Man if you've not read it too... Y The Last Man TP Vol 01 Unmanned: Amazon.co.uk: Pia Guerra: Books

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    @sparkeh - that's one hell of a list! If I said to you you're only allowed to keep three of those (series) and the rest must be burned forever, which would you choose?
    Oof, that's a tough one but... ok:

1. Judge Dredd case files. Can't beat a bit of justice Joe style.
    2. The Frank Book. Not to everyone's taste but there are some beautiful stories in there told purely through pictures.
    3. Watchmen. It was the game changer really and gives you an insight to a lot of work that followed it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    It's probably just me being dumb but I can't see how you differentiate which is Green Lantern, Wonderwoman, Superman etc... perhaps one I'll buy in store where I can have a proper look at them!

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Transmetropolitan is a great call...

Also Y: The last Man if you've not read it too... Y The Last Man TP Vol 01 Unmanned: Amazon.co.uk: Pia Guerra: Books
    Y! Almost forgot that one, it sounded interesting reading about it in the DC eBook I linked earlier

Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Oof, that's a tough one but... ok:

1. Judge Dredd case files. Can't beat a bit of justice Joe style.
    2. The Frank Book. Not to everyone's taste but there are some beautiful stories in there told purely through pictures.
    3. Watchmen. It was the game changer really and gives you an insight to a lot of work that followed it.
    I'm open minded - Frank Book added (the other two were already on the list )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For infinite crisis, you are probably best off getting this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crisis-Infin...nfinite+crisis

Thank Post
    Definitely - Maus

and you could try a Chris Ware such as Jimmy Corrigan or Building Stories - I got Building Stories last Xmas - very impressed - you can read the bits in any order and it still makes sense, though the themes are "grown up" and melancholic (imho)

Thank Post
    Ohhhh I sure do love Graphic Novels.

My recommendations are as follows:

Watchmen - Already mentioned several times. I feel its aged a little but it's still a fantastic read. Contains probably one of the best comic book/superhero characters ever – Rorschach.

V for Vendetta - Again a fantastic read written by Alan Moore same as Watchmen. Don’t judge the book by the movie as the film only covers the first chapter of the book. The book goes into much more detail regarding the state of Britain and delves much deeper into the two main characters of V and Eve.

The Boys - Great series. An alternative take on the superhero genre where masked heroes are ten a penny and have let the power go to their heads (similar idea to Watchmen but in a completely different style). It's hilarious, witty, engrossing and violent! It focuses on a group of folks with hero-esk abilities who work for the government. Their job is to ‘deal’ with masked superhero’s when they step out of line.

Y the Last Man – Think this one has already been mentioned too but it’s a really good read. Quite clever and very witty. Focuses on a chap called Yorick and his pet monkey Ampersand who happen to be the only two living males left on the planet after a plague whips out everything on earth with a Y chromosome!

Locke & Key – Probably my favourite series. It’s absolutely brilliant. It’s drawn to perfection, the writing is superb and it’s fantastically creative. It falls into the horror genre but don’t let that put you off if horror isn’t really your thing. It’s about the Locke family who move into an old mansion. Within the mansion are hidden keys which open special doors allowing for all kinds of unusual things to happen. Honestly it’s hard to describe but it’s brilliant! The first in the series is only about £2 on kindle so if you have a tablet, give it a go.

Batman – If you’re after a Batman novel to read I would recommend either The Dark Knight Returns (an olde but a goodie!), Killing Joke (great Joker story but a little short, contains some great artwork and Joker monologues though) or Death of the Family (my personal favourite, another Joker story which is very dark but a really great read).

Could go on but I will stop there!! All the above are available via Amazon or ForbiddenPlanet (who have a store in Birmingham btw!)

Thank Post
    Sandman definitely.

A couple that haven't been mentioned that are still ongoing but all but the most recent issues have been collected as GNs (and that crossover at one point):
    Fables: Fairy tale characters live in a secret community in NY, having escaped from a terrible adversary. But he's still looking for them. It may sound like "Once Upon A Time" (and was at one stage in development at the same channel...) but is much more satisfying.
    The Unwritten: Imagine if JK Rowling had a son called Harold Potter who may or may not somehow have the powers of her boy wizard.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    +1 for the Walking Dead
    +1000 for Judge Dredd and anything 2000AD related, the Dredd/Aliens etc crossovers were excellent.

Outcast looks immense, pencilled for 2014 release I think.

Joe

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Judge dredd is fantastic. I think he is also the only comic book character that actually AGES within the comics as it goes on. Since I have been reading - (1996 onwards) he has aged considerably if I look at the comics now compared to then.

*edit*

Should add I have been reading dredd since 96. I've read others prior to this.
    Last edited by nephilim; 8th January 2014 at 01:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Judge dredd is fantastic. I think he is also the only comic book character that actually AGES within the comics as it goes on. Since I have been reading - (1996 onwards) he has aged considerably if I look at the comics now compared to then.

*edit*

Should add I have been reading dredd since 96. I've read others prior to this.
    Also Dredd goes through some interesting character development. Today's Dredd is very different to the old Dredd.

Thank Post
    Oh yeah - V for Vendetta - Alan Moore is very good and lives just round the corner from me.

Oh - Love & Rockets are worth a look too - once they get past the initial few stories

Really enjoyed "The Adventures of Unemployed Man" too - sort of spoof on the older superhero comics by Erich Origen

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast