+ Post New Thread
Other Stuff Thread, Wing Chun in Fun Stuff; Hey folks, Just wondering if anyone has / is participating in classes for Wing Chun? Really keen on doing this, ...
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post

Wing Chun

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone has / is participating in classes for Wing Chun?

Really keen on doing this, but would like some personal opinions on how everything is going, that is of course, if anyone here has done it before.

Regards

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did it years ago - about a decade - and had the First Form memorised, but the travel to the classes became too difficult to organise. I would love to get back into it though, it was brilliant, and the weapons forms looked ace.

You look daft doing it, with the funny crouching position, but it is very effective. Being based entirely around efficiency, it is very much a Lazy Man's Martial Art.

Thank Post
    Like @sonofsanta I used to do it just over 10 years ago and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately I moved and there are no classes near me anymore. I would recommend it to anyone who was interested in it. When I looked at other things you can normally get a free taster session or just pay for a 1 off class to see if you would be interested in doing it without committing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You know what though, I've just googled Wing Chun Lincolnshire and found an instructor doing Monday evening classes 20 minutes from my house... might have to think about that. Very tempting.

Thank Post
    I practice Wing Tsun, absolutely love it. Its Wing Chun, but after late great grandmaster Ip Man died his students split off and formed their own groups with slightly different spellings.

Would recommend Wing Tsun (WT) if there is a school near by, they are a lot more focused on improving and adapting Wing Chun, some of the schools teach "traditional" Wing Chun which was developed in a time before boxing/jujitsu was popular, so not quite as effective.

If you want me to have a word with my sifu to find the closest school send me a PM, The headquarters is down in Tunbridge Wells, which is where a lot of the seminars with visiting sigung's (sifu's sifu) which are a lot of fun. Being thrown around by Grand Master Kernspecht is a real eye opener.

WT also has a link with Eskrima (kali) which is fun.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Cheers for the input @sonofsanta & @penfold

Very helpful reviews. I will be taking it up in Brumingham and go 3x a week. Can't wait to move on after i become 'decent' in Wing Chun.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    Just curious if there are any in the Northamptonshire area closer than Brum. I know this is not related really but have watched IP Man 1 and 2

Very good films

Thank Post
    While I haven't done Wing Chun myself, a couple of my old mates have and they were very good... One of them studied it in conjunction with Lee Style kung fu and the other one studied it as his main aim. Unfortunately I've lost contact with both of them so I can't say which associations/clubs they trained at.

One thing that I would say is try out a couple/several different Wing Chun clubs - just in case. I've seen a lot of promising martial art students try a style of karate, kung fu or kickboxing, etc not get on with the association/instructor/other students and then just give up on martial arts as a whole thinking that the martial arts is not for them just because of that experience. Like everything else, quality and what each instructor focuses on varies from club to club and association to association.
    @mac_shinobi there seems to be a couple of club in the Kettering area, not sure if they are still going though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread