+ Post New Thread
Other Stuff Thread, Old Amp gone bang! in Fun Stuff; Well I've blow my old NAD 3020a amp last night From having a look this morning my be the capacitors. ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy Old Amp gone bang!

Well I've blow my old NAD 3020a amp last night From having a look this morning my be the capacitors. This amp is what I used on my PC for years, Had this amp for almost 20years now! but it's a lot older then that.

Anyone use old stuff with your new stuff that you just can't let go of?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anyone use old stuff with your new stuff that you just can't let go of?
    I think my brain counts.

Thank Post
    Sure. On my office PC I use a Quad 44 with a pair of 404's bi-amped into some relatively young Linn Keilidh (20 year old!) speakers. That will probably change to an even older pair of Quad 303's (currently in a cupboard) when I swap the 405's into the cave to take a bit of the strain off a very modern Onyko surround amp. The 303's are much the same vintage as me. I'm on the look out for some more 404's and am very very tempted to go with an old pair of ESL 63's.
    Last edited by pcstru; 3rd May 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a pair of Bose 201 speakers I got in 1997 which are still going strong. Nice sound from the them as well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I still have my separates which I bought from a friend of mine when I was 18. A pair of speakers whos brand escapes me right now, a Nakamichi amp and a Yamaha CD player. I know that it's nothing special but it's amazing how much nicer it sounds than a lot of the crap being produced today.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sure, got a Rotel amp I bought in 1991.

Don't chuck it, get onto the RS site and get the bits you need.

Thank Post
    My Kenwood turntable and tuner date from 1974. I still have the matching amp too, but it's sits in the cupboard. I upgraded the amp (Kenwood) and speakers (Morel) as recently as 1989. The Sony cassette deck is early 1970's vintage, which I purchased second hand in 1978. It's all still going strong, although I though I'd lost it last year when smoke started pouring from the back. It was just a fuse, and the replacement is fine (touch wood). I bought my Ricoh KR5 camera with my first pay cheque in Dec 1979. It's been serviced a few times, but still sees regular use. It saw a lot of use in the first three or four years. You know when your in a restaurant and somebody comes up and says "Would you like a photo to remember the occasion?" Well, that was me! I also have a 1980 vintage Pentax LX, but I got that in 2000. These were built for the press and are bullet proof. Finally I have an Exacta Varex VX, which is from 1950. It's older than me and is a truly beautiful camera. That was another 2000 purchase.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Sure. On my office PC I use a Quad 44 with a pair of 404's bi-amped into some relatively young Linn Keilidh (20 year old!) speakers. That will probably change to an even older pair of Quad 303's (currently in a cupboard) when I swap the 404's into the cave to take a bit of the strain off a very modern Onyko surround amp. The 303's are much the same vintage as me. I'm on the look out for some more 404's and am very very tempted to go with an old pair of ESL 63's.
    I was looking at get the 44 pre-amp and a 405 some weeks ago! not got the money for them at the min!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by w-clarke101 View Post
    I was looking at get the 44 pre-amp and a 405 some weeks ago! not got the money for them at the min!
    I don't know what's going wrong with me an Quad numbers - 404's ESL 67's! They are good bit's of kit and Quad still service them (actually the IAG service place in Huntingdon will probably service your NAD if you want to resurrect it and don't have the skills yourself or locally) which should bring them back to as good as new. Worth saving your pennies.

Thank Post
    Quad ESL 57's with clamps Musical Fidelity A300cr Rel Strata 5 .... Fab sound ... Ive refurbished the ESL's with new power supplies and the Otec treble panels

Thank Post
    I still have my separates which I bought from a friend of mine when I was 18.
    That made me chuckle, separates is a term used for underwear.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    That made me chuckle, separates is a term used for underwear.
    Hence the phrase - "your old amp is pants".

(ok - maybe not)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    I don't know what's going wrong with me an Quad numbers - 404's ESL 67's! They are good bit's of kit and Quad still service them (actually the IAG service place in Huntingdon will probably service your NAD if you want to resurrect it and don't have the skills yourself or locally) which should bring them back to as good as new. Worth saving your pennies.
    I've got a set of Quad lite 5.1 love them. So you not the only one going Quad number mad ha-ha.
    I can it myself when I've got the time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread