+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, Archery in Fun Stuff; I was thinking of doing a beginners course in it saw it on this website. 2020 Archery - Archery Lessons, ...
    Thank Post

Archery

I was thinking of doing a beginners course in it saw it on this website. 2020 Archery - Archery Lessons, Courses and Events in London - Home Just thought I would ask anyone else do archery? I have been wanting to do it for quite a few years now and watching 'Arrow' has kinda fuelled me more into giving it a try at least.

Thank Post
    A couple of my friends are members of (Sheffield) local archery clubs.. Was there anything specific you wanted to ask?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    A couple of my friends are members of (Sheffield) local archery clubs.. Was there anything specific you wanted to ask?
    Not really just curious if anyone else on the boards does it as a hobby and how they find it really.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Used to, good fun, even just at the range stuffing around with a recurve bow and pin site (the one on arrow is a recurve). The ones with the little wheels at each end are compound and are much more compact and powerful.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Used to, good fun, even just at the range stuffing around with a recurve bow and pin site (the one on arrow is a recurve). The ones with the little wheels at each end are compound and are much more compact and powerful.

Just deciding to do the weekend course or the 5 week course.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used to when I could afford the club fees, once a week.

I recommend a composite bow if you are starting out for the following reasons.

Recurve bows are great for beginners and cheap, but it is most often the wrong bow and most off putting for people, as they cannot shoot properly with them and end up grazing their arms, hands etc. They can be very dangerous (as with all bows) and cause you a significant amount of damage.

Draw weight
    It takes around 8lbs of draw to achieve a 40lb draw weight, around 18lbs of draw to achieve a 90lb draw weight, as opposed to a recurve or long bow which you will need the full 40lb draw or 90lb draw...which takes a lot of strength, if you are not used to this, it WILL hurt you.

Accuracy
    I have personally found them to be much more accurate than recurve bows, and long bows should really be handled by seasoned professionals. Accuracy is key for maintaining focus and joy. Hitting 2's and 3's all the time is no fun, and it takes much longer to attain accuracy with recurve and long bows than with composite bows. Once you know how to handle it, you can move on.

Attachments
    You can add various attachments to the bow (grips, scopes, handguards etc) which make the bow better suited to you. This is a key factor in maintaining focus and joy as you can tailor things to suit your needs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by north-ict View Post
    Just deciding to do the weekend course or the 5 week course.
    You get to shoot stuff so it is generally enjoyable, nephilim is right in that it uses muscles that are not usually used much so you may end up a little sore. Personally I'd try to go along on a club night, rent a bow off them just to try it out. Most clubs that I know of have such nights where you can give it a go and decide if it is for you before signing up to a course. The five week one may be easier on your arms and finger tips than a full weekend one if you are just starting out.

You may also find that there are a few more 14 year old girls there than you are expecting as apparently it is a somewhat 'in' thing thanks to the Hunger Games books and movie.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info guys thats much appreciated. My want for archery was well before hunger games!! lol but will definitely look into it with greater detail.

Thank Post
    I hope it's nothing to do with Chester and Welshmen! or York and the Scots!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    I hope it's nothing to do with Chester and Welshmen! or York and the Scots!

Haha no just have an appreciation for the skill and strength involved in it. Plus the new series 'Arrow' kinda reminded me of actually going andhaving a go. Plus its something different.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can tell you, it takes years to master, I am still a bit of a novice with these things. I can hit a target at 100m on a still day, but factor in wind, makes things massively different!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I can tell you, it takes years to master, I am still a bit of a novice with these things. I can hit a target at 100m on a still day, but factor in wind, makes things massively different!
    That's when legends are born lol

Thank Post
    Been shooting recurve for the past 3 years and i am starting to learn how to shoot a compound. I find it a great way to unwind at the end of the week. If you have any questions just ask.

Thank Post
    Just to let you guys know I signed up for the 5 week course as opposed to the one day intensive one. Can't wait

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good luck

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast