+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, Pa system in Fun Stuff; Hi All, I dont know if this is the right forum but.... My school is after a new PA system ...
    Thank Post

Pa system

Hi All,

I dont know if this is the right forum but....

My school is after a new PA system or new amp to power the speakers etc.

The speakers have the cables that look like guitar cables

That is all I know if you need anymore info please do ask.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    PA systems often have 5mm jacks (headphone style plugs) for speakers. If the speakers are OK, why not just buy a new AMP? I've used Berringer products as PA for a live band. It's relatively cheap but reasonable quality - or overall good value.

Thank Post
    What will it mainly be used for. How many microphones will you use. How big is the environment it will be used in? Remember, if you are planning to use the existing speakers with a new amp, you need to make sure they are the right impedance and will handle the power of the amp. Speakers usually have the ratings on a plate at the back.

What's your budget?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    What will it mainly be used for. How many microphones will you use. How big is the environment it will be used in? Remember, if you are planning to use the existing speakers with a new amp, you need to make sure they are the right impedance and will handle the power of the amp. Speakers usually have the ratings on a plate at the back.

What's your budget?
    What ^^ said, but also - what's your reason for buying something new - is it a new system or repairing an old one?

Thank Post
    FYI they're 6.3mm or 1/4inch jacks, or should be for speaker level signals.

Thank Post
    Cheers all, it will be used for in the school hall and out on school field.

The existing amp is dead pretty much, it works one minute and the next it doesnt.

Ill find the info out and let you all know. if you can help?

Thank Post
    We had a similar problem. Eventually we got the cash for a Yamaha Stagepas 500. For us the advantage was the amp packs into a speaker and the cables into the other, that and a 'suitcase' on wheels. All in all a good investment and very easy to transport around the building.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The yamaha kits are very good for small stuff. Very easy to rig and pack. Seem good value for money.

Thank Post
    We've got one of these Kustom KPRO100 PA System 100w that we used to use in the hall until the PTA funded a bespoke system. We use the Kustom one for Sports Day etc., but with hindsight I'd get the 200W version.

The speakers are wedge shaped and by connecting the "line in" to the "line out" of the hall system, they make great stage monitors, laid on their side.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    the amp should be above the power consumption of the speakers connected, but don't go way above you can blow speakers if its turned up to loud. so if you have 2 100W speakers you will can use a 200W amp. but a 250w or 300w would work just as well as long as its not turned up to far, and would allow for additional speakers. most amps are 2 channel (stereo) and don't worry to much about the connectors they are easy to change. and difrent amps will always have a different connector. normally input is a 6.5mm Jack or an XLR. and output to speakers is a spekon connector but it can be a 6.5mm jack the spekon is more stable and far less likely to fall out as it verry securely locks into place. pretty much any mixer will work just make sure that it has enough channels (microphone / CD /PC inputs) for you. and wiring from stage to mixer just use stage cable again check the length and number of cables in it normally these cables are very well shielded. i would put all of this on the same ring-main i have had issues where the amp and the mixer are on different mains supply's and the buzz from the equipment is unreal soon as its on the same ring nothing. ive even had the buzz running through the vga because a projector was on a different ring the PC was plugged in the amp and on the same ring but the difference between the projector and the amp via the pc still caused a massive buzz.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by januttall View Post
    pretty much any mixer will work just make sure that it has enough channels (microphone / CD /PC inputs) for you. and wiring from stage to mixer just use stage cable again check the length and number of cables in it normally these cables are very well shielded.
    We're in a similar situation to the original poster, trying to figure out the best way to organise our audio kit so it's easy to transport between several different venues (assorted halls and churches that we use for various events). At the moment we have a large wheeled 19" case, about half a full-size rack in height, which is very sturdy but proving a bit much to transport aound. I'm thinking of splitting that up into sveral discreet comonents, with each one in its own flight case ready to be picked up and moved around. If I split up the amp and the mixing desk then I can place the mixing desk somewhere I can actually hear the sound being produced instead of having to sit near the speakers (i.e. I don't have to be stuck at the front, getting in the way). However, that does mean that any wired microphone has to be connected back to the mixing desk. Is that likly to be practical, having, say, four microphone cables and the mixing-desk-to-amp connecting cable all in a bunch running maybe 10 metres? Is there maybe a multiplexing option of some sort that lets me plug in a bunch of wired mics at the front of the stage and gets the signals back to the mixing desk for me?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Is there maybe a multiplexing option of some sort that lets me plug in a bunch of wired mics at the front of the stage and gets the signals back to the mixing desk for me?
    One of These.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    One of These.
    Looks perfect, just the thing, thanks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also the DXR series powered speakers form Yamaha looks amazing.

Thank Post
    I'm not sure I would agree with getting an amp that's rated higher than the speakers. The tendency is to turn the volume up to 11.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast