+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Outlook & mandatory profiles in Technical; Having a problem with OUtlook 2010. We use mandatory profiles & the staff would like to use Outlook as their ...
    Thank Post

Outlook & mandatory profiles

Having a problem with OUtlook 2010.
    We use mandatory profiles & the staff would like to use Outlook as their email client.
    We do not have an exchange server, so it needs to be setup for our imap server. Setting up Outlook 2010 on a stand alone machine is fairly straight forward, but I cannot see a way to get it to work with a mandatory profile.
    I follwed an old guide to using the .pst file, but once the profile has been saved Outlook will no longer run & comes up with an error:
    error.jpg
    Tried a repair on office from the profile setup account, but no luck. Outlook still works OK when logged in locally.
    Has anyoner managed to setup outlook 2010 using mandatory profiles without Exchange server.
    Many thanks

Thank Post
    Anyone?

Thank Post
    What happens when you had the fresh copy of office 2010 onto the pc and your run it first time? Did you manually set the settings and point it towards your IMAP server for now?

Thank Post
    No, I was following instructions that said to open Outlook as a profile admin & run Outlook up, but not to configure it for email. This creates the PST file, then you have to move the PST & then get outlook to find it in a new network location. This was fine until I try to run Outlook again, as I get a failure as above.
    Idiots guide would be useful LOL

Thank Post
    And did you point outlook towards the new location for the pst file? Usually this does not work you should load up outlook first and then connect it to your IMAP server to download the data to the PST file. You can always create a new data store (PST) for outlook so that it opens for now then change the settings if this makes sense lol?

Thank Post
    Yes, when I point outlook to the PST & then login again I get the error as in my first post.
    If I create the PST file for a certain account, surely that would be used for all unless I create the pst file for each user.

Thank Post
    are you talking about a stand alone machine with multiple user accounts or just one user account and multiple email accounts?

create a new data store and let it default to where it wants it then load up outlook and create a new email account and direct it towards your IMAP server?

Thank Post
    I am talking about multiple Computers & multiple user accounts. logging in via a mandatory profile.

Thank Post
    Okay, the PST will be different for each user that logs in then however it will not remember the settings and it will be hard to use outlook on the machines unless you 1: stay on the same machine and don't have GPO removing unused profiles from the c drive after certain amount of time and 2: change accounts to roaming profiles if possible. This way outlook settings will carry with the user across the network.

The problem is that you have moved the PST file and it will work while you are logged in, then when you log out and in again it won't remember where the PST file is until you tell it if you see?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread