+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Outlook 2010 keeps adding 2nd account in To when Reply all in Technical; Hi All, I have a Outlook 2010 that has 2 separate mailboxes setup on it. Lets just call them account ...

Thank Post

Outlook 2010 keeps adding 2nd account in To when Reply all

Hi All,

I have a Outlook 2010 that has 2 separate mailboxes setup on it. Lets just call them account A and account B.
    They are both for the same user but just for the 2 mail domains he must use everyday.

First I tried it where all of Account B's mail was forwarded automatically to Account A, therefore meaning he should only need 1 inbox showing and also gave him permission to reply and send from Account B. That worked fine, except whenever he got a mail to account B and clicks reply all his Account B address gets added to the To box.

So I tried setting 2 mail accounts up in Outlook. So now he has 2 Inbox's but the same problem. Mail goes to Account B, when he clicks reply all Account B's address gets added as a recipient. Which I suppose makes sense as Account A is the primary account and Outlook recognizes that any other addresses should be added when replying to all.

But my question is. Is there any way to stop it from doing this? Or to get around this problem?

For now the user is just removing their address when replying and when he forgets he reminds me that he is still having this problem.

Help.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    I assume you are using Exchange or similar, but if you setup an inbox rule in Outlook or OWA, to redirect the mail from one account to another then it isn't forwarded as such, meaning the Reply address won't be the account forwarded from.

Thank Post
    Not sure why you have to mailboxes for one user, even if said user is a member of more then 1 domain (i.e. multiple accounts). The only time I had to do something similar was when a user belongs to Domain B but main domain was Domain A. In this case there was a mailbox for both (because to give permission to user account on Domain B to mailbox on Domain A, you need a mailbox on Useraccount B) but the alias and email address for user didnt need to mean anything e.g. userb-temp@domain.com (where domain.com is your domain). Hide this email and give the mailbox on Username A to Username B. Also resolve all appropriate emails to Username A, that way all email should be sent to UsernameA only. Hope that makes sense. Not sure if it helps in your case.

Thank Post
    Yes I am using Exchange 2010.

No, I setup a mailbox rule to get Exchange to forward any mail from Account B to Account A. AS well as allowing Send as permission in Exchange.

But like I said, that's what I initially tried. I have also tried setting up 2 separate mailboxes in Outlook but even when I click into Account B's Inbox and click reply all it still adds account B's address into the recipients list.

Thank Post
    Thanks apeo. Yes, I have in the past done it the way you have suggested, however in this case Account A belongs to one company and Account B belongs to another company.

The problem being that he almost needs Outlook to treat them as separate entity's. So anything sent to account B needs to be distinguishable from Account A (if I use the forwarding method) and when he replies it needs to send from account B.

Thank Post
    I see.. does that user actually need an account for both companies? i.e. does the user ever login as Account B? If not then maybe 1 mailbox with more then 1 alias. You could then use Rules to move email to appropriate folders to identify where they come from. The only problem would be that there needs to be a default reply to email address (primary email) so you would probably need to enable the ability to change the From field. For example you have Account A that has both AccountA@domain.com and AccountB@anotherdomain.com, with AccountA@domain.com is the primary so if you want to reply from AccountB@yourdomain.com, you change the from field.

Abit of a bash but should work. The alternative is probably some third party software that can automatically identify which from address it is or prompt.

EDIT: cant think of anyway to fix Reply All problem if you stick with your current solution.
    Last edited by apeo; 29th May 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Does the 2nd account have full mailbox permission to the other account? If yes, remove & test

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Does the 2nd account have full mailbox permission to the other account? If yes, remove & test
    If full mailbox permission is removed, user will not longer have access to it second mailbox i.e. only to send as but not view.

Thank Post
    So, you require both send-as and full mailbox permission?

Is Exch authorative for both domains?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    So, you require both send-as and full mailbox permission?

Is Exch authorative for both domains?
    I dont require anything, see the the first post... I might be wrong but how is user going to Reply All for the second mailbox if the user cant even access the mailbox.

Thank Post
    What if you give permission at the folder level, i.e Inbox, then get the user to ope the Inbox, remove full mailbox permission, and grant send-as.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread