+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Downloading attachments from Squirrelmail in Technical; Does anyone know if there is a problem for Mac users? One of our Governors cannot open Word documents we ...

Thank Post

Downloading attachments from Squirrelmail

Does anyone know if there is a problem for Mac users? One of our Governors cannot open Word documents we have sent him.

Thank Post
    We used to use Squirrelmail and found that on the newer word document format (.docx), users had to click the "Download" link rather than clicking the file name to be able to successfully open the attachment. Otherwise, it would download as a corrupt zip file due to a glitch in the way Squirrelmail handles .docx files.

3. Thanks to netadmin from:

laserblazer (3rd March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks. I did tell him to try this and he now says that it will open but not print? I've suggested that he save the file and then open it in Word to see if that works. Trouble is, he's a bit set in his ways and can't see why we won't post it like we always did. It's a doc file we are sending BTW.

Thank Post
    We had some issues with Squirrelmail and any messages coming from Outlook. Depending on how they are sent depends on what the attachament is if the message is forwarded as an attachment with the doc attached to it rather than just being forwarded the message came through as a .dat file or something like that which only outlook can open. You have to check it it a specific way to see the contents. However, it was Ok. But we did move over to a roundcube installation as .dat files can be viewed inline with the messages. Roundcube seemed to handle things a bit better than Squirrelmail and overall a better webmail experience IMO.

If you are running squirrelmail on an OS X server, you can install a roundcube verson and have it running really easily without damaging the default installation.

I found a guide online. If your interested I can post the URL.

Of course this could all be nonsense and not the problem you are seeing at all.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread