+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Produce username/password slips in Technical; I have all the moodle pupil usernames/passwords in an Excel file and I'd like to simply be able to setup ...

Thank Post

Produce username/password slips

I have all the moodle pupil usernames/passwords in an Excel file and I'd like to simply be able to setup some sort of mail merge thingy to print them off to hand out to parents.

I can do a mail merge in Word and use the spreadsheet as a source but I can only get 1 slip/page when I really want about 6.

Anyone know what I need to do please? (or got a Excel macro to do it direct?)

Simon

Thank Post
    You might be able to use the address label function.

3. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

SimpleSi (22nd February 2012)

Thank Post
    @KC Brilliantly simple - love it ta

Thank Post
    Theres a next record field that you can insert in the mail merge in word. I use it all the time when doing things like this. In word 2010 its under the rules drop down box on the mailings ribbon.

6. Thanks to DSapseid from:

SimpleSi (23rd February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    I have all the moodle pupil usernames/passwords in an Excel file and I'd like to simply be able to setup some sort of mail merge thingy to print them off to hand out to parents.

I can do a mail merge in Word and use the spreadsheet as a source but I can only get 1 slip/page when I really want about 6.

Anyone know what I need to do please? (or got a Excel macro to do it direct?)

Simon
    Are you giving out pupil logins to parents or parent logins to parents?

If you are giving pupil login to parents this is not a good idea as you are giving parents to much access. The security, data protection and safe guarding implication are huge.

Thank Post
    This is for primaries

Si

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    This is for primaries

Si
    The same still applies though. You are allowing the ability for parents to directly communicate with other students using the students profile.
    Im not trying to be difficult but you could open yourself to a big can of worms
    @GrumbleDook Would you concur?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    The same still applies though. You are allowing the ability for parents to directly communicate with other students using the students profile.
    Im not trying to be difficult but you could open yourself to a big can of worms
    @GrumbleDook Would you concur?
    Parents are the data owners for children who are not over 12 and so they could reasonably be expected to have their son / daughter hand over the password as they can insist on having access to anything their child is doing.

On safeguarding grounds ... as long as it is standard practice that all parents and children are aware that the account may be accessed by the parents, be viewed by parents and that it is subject to checks on activity by the school then a reasonable measure has been taken to protect the children. As the emphasis to parents is that other adults may also be on the system then there is an onus on the parents to monitor what their children are doing and reporting any possible strange activity to the school for investigation (or reporting to the relevant authorities).

There have been cases where adults have masqueraded as children to befriend other children ... and this happens on a regular basis on many IM / social media systems. As all of this traffic / communication is logged in a school MLE / VLE / LP then you are taking actions to ensure that should anything go on it can be traced and dealt with. There has been a recent discussion on the LinkedIn eSafety Law in Education group about the responsibility to schools about how to deal with bullying, etc in walled gardens (the example was a virtual school in Second Life) but I can see similar applying here as well.

Personally, assessing similar risks in the past with secondary school students, there is no guarantee that parents will not log on as the student and look at what is going on, responded to messages or even initiate conversations. This is one reason why the AUP *has* to be signed by the parent ... another reason is that minors have limited legal ability to sign any form of contract. At this point you have to rely on the technology to assist with the work here ... having logs which allow you to check what has gone on (deterrent rather than prevention?) and even having filters which stop abusive messages going between users (or logging / flagging content to appropriate responsible staff) this can allow you to take control and reduce the risk. One of many reasons why, personally, I think that you should have any system which sends messages between users operating with a filter. Most in-house exchange boxes don't ... and it comes back to the same issue.

Back to the question in hand ...

Don't hand over the Username / Password without getting signatures to the AUP. Ensure you have good policies and processes in place to check (or automatically alert) about activities ... and ensure that parents are aware of their 'at home' responsibilities.

I think I might take this over to the LinkedIn group too as a topic of conversation as well as asking via the DfE Safetynet list. I am sure I, or other mugs^Wvolunteers, will summarise responses ... but I would be interest to hear how others deal with this too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 986 Posts
    Not sure if this still applies as far as printing out mail merged word documents but thought it may come in handy just in case :

Applying printer finishing options in a Microsoft Word Mail Merge.Many printers perform finishing at the job level. Stapling, for example, can only be done at the end of a job, not within a job. This presents a problem when working with Microsoft Word Mail Merges. Word creates a merge as one file (job) containing all of the merge records, so it’s not possible to do the merge to the printer and apply finishing options to individual records.
    Here’s a work-around.
    First, make sure the target printer is the default Windows printer. Then set the defaults of the print driver for whatever you need, such as stapling, duplexing, specific tray for the first sheet, etc.
    Note: Setting driver defaults varies a bit depending on the OS. From within the Printer Folder, right-click the printer and choose ‘Properties’ in Win 9x, ‘Document Defaults’ in Win NT, or ‘Printing Preferences’ in Win 2k. Make sure you remember to ‘Apply’ or ‘OK’ the settings changes you make before closing the driver screens.
    Next, run the mail merge and choose ‘New Document’, instead of ‘Printer’. Word creates the merge in memory, visible on the screen. Now, run the following macro.
    Code:
    Sub Mail_Merge_Print()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Rem Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
    Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
    With Selection.Find
    .Forward = True
    .Wrap = False
    .Format = False
    .MatchCase = False
    .MatchWholeWord = False
    .MatchWildcards = False
    .MatchSoundsLike = False
    .MatchAllWordForms = False
    End With
    Do
    Selection.Extend
    Selection.Find.Execute FindText:="^b"
    If Selection.Find.Found = False Then Exit Do
    Selection.MoveUp Unit:=wdLine, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
    Application.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintSelection, Background:=False
    Selection.MoveDown Unit:=wdLine, Count:=2, Extend:=False
    Loop
    End Sub
    The first line turns screen updating off while the macro runs. This decreases processing time considerably. You can remark this line out if you want to see the macro work on screen, but it’s really too fast to follow anyway, and it slows overall execution.
    The second line won’t run unless you remove the ‘Rem’ (remark). It moves the cursor to the start of the merge document when the macro begins. If you leave the remark, or remove the line completely, the macro will run from where you’ve placed the cursor. This gives you an easy method for testing (or job recovery). Set up the print driver the way you want it and position the cursor on the first line of a record near the end of the file. Run the macro and you’ll get the records from the cursor position to the end of the file. Just remember when you start a full job to place the cursor at the beginning of the file!
    The next lines, all the way to ‘End With’ just set up the parameters of the upcoming search. These lines may not even be necessary, since they’re defaults anyway, but it’s good housekeeping just in case they’ve been changed in a previous search.
    The Do Loop is where the work is actually done. Here, the macro turns on Extend mode and selects (highlights) the text between the current cursor position and the next “^b” (section break) it finds. It then sends this selection as a print job to the default Windows printer. When the job has been sent, the cursor position is advanced to the top of the next record and the process is repeated until there are no more section breaks. Notice that Background printing is turned off.
    Creating the “Macro”
    There are a number of ways to install the macro. The following method is not the most straightforward, but it’s pretty simple and it makes it unlikely that you’ll effect existing macros. If you know and prefer another way, please do. Otherwise, open this file on the workstation that will be doing the mail merge.
    Select (highlight) the text of the macro from ‘Sub Mail_Merge_Print()’ to ‘End Sub’, inclusive. On the Word toolbar, select ‘Edit’ and ‘Copy’
    Next, select ‘Tools’, ‘Macro’, ‘Record New Macro’. Make the new macro name e.g. ‘Mail_Merge_Print’ and click ‘Ok’. Click the ‘Stop’ button to exit record mode (we’re not actually recording anything).
    Select ‘Tools’, ‘Macro’, ‘Macros’. In the dialog box, select ‘Mail_Merge_Print’ and click ‘Edit’. In the code window, select everything from ‘Sub Mail_Merge_Print()’ to the first (maybe only) ‘End Sub’, inclusive.
    On the Word toolbar select ‘Edit’ and ‘Clear’ (that’s ‘Clear’, not ‘Cut’!), then select ‘Edit’ again and ‘Paste’.
    Now close all open windows, and exit Word. The new macro will be available the next time you open Word. To use it, select ‘Tools’, ‘Macro’, ‘Macros’ and double-click it, or select it and click ‘Run’. Don’t forget about the cursor position.
    I have the pdf file if interested but for some reason would not allow me to upload it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread