+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, KMS Setup in Technical; Im currently trying to get KMS working for Office 2010. I've got the server set up dowloaded the KMS host ...

Thank Post

KMS Setup

Im currently trying to get KMS working for Office 2010. I've got the server set up dowloaded the KMS host setup and it says it's installed and licenced. I've also remembererd to enable the KMS service through the server's firewall.

So I come to a machine that I've got Office 2010 installed on and put in my KMS key. I've downloaded Office from my licencing site, (Office 2010 ProPlus with SP1) the clicked on the key link to get my key and entered it and Office tells me that he key is "Not a Valid Office Product Key".
    Now this is the same key I've used to activate my KMS host (The KMS host is even giving me the last 5 digits of the key). I've checked for typo's, copy and pasted the key and so an and still the client PC is having none of it. I've checked the edition and it says it's a KMS volume client edition.

I know it can't activate until I've made 5 activations to the KMS host but it still should accept the key so it can try and activate.

So what can I do?
    Last edited by Stuart_C; 14th February 2012 at 11:14 AM.

Thank Post
    are you not supposed to be using office 2010 enterprise? Might be the wrong version for the key?

Thank Post
    So I come to a machine that I've got Office 2010 installed on and put in my KMS key. I've downloaded Office from my licencing site, (Office 2010 ProPlus with SP1) the clicked on the key link to get my key and entered it and Office tells me that he key is "Not a Valid Office Product Key".
    Now this is the same key I've used to activate my KMS host (The KMS host is even giving me the last 5 digits of the key). I've checked for typo's, copy and pasted the key and so an and still the client PC is having none of it. I've checked the edition and it says it's a KMS volume client edition.

I know it can't activate until I've made 5 activations to the KMS host but it still should accept the key so it can try and activate.
    To my understanding, KMS keys can only be used with KMS hosts. If you want to manually activate you'll need to use a MAK key instead.

Why are you wanting to manually activate clients if you've got a KMS up and running? Just give your clients time to check in and they'll sort themselves out.

Thank Post
    Don't think so. Everything matches up from what I've got from the licencing site. The key is (should) be for the version I'm downloading. I don't seem to see Office Enterprise 2010?

Thank Post
    @Edu-IT. I'm not trying to manually activate. I'm trying to put in the KMS key into Office so that it know's I'm tyring to activate via KMS and willl then go looking for my KMS host.
    Just double checking the server, I notice a change in status, wich raises the question of, am i confused?
    If I'm using KMS do I need to specfy a licence key in Office itself or not? Will it automatically find my KMS host and try and activate?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    @Edu-IT. I'm not trying to manually activate. I'm trying to put in the KMS key into Office so that it know's I'm tyring to activate via KMS and willl then go looking for my KMS host.
    Just double checking the server, I notice a change in status, wich raises the question of, am i confused?
    If I'm using KMS do I need to specfy a licence key in Office itself or not? Will it automatically find my KMS host and try and activate?
    When you roll out your Office installation you tell it to either activate against a KMS, or use this key. You can do this using the Office Customization Tool. That's all specified within the setup. You don't need to enter any keys into the client if you've told it to activate against the KMS.

7. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Stuart_C (14th February 2012)

Thank Post
    When i installed office 2010 i just downloaded and installed the KMS host on our server and then either deployed the package, installed the image or installed office off the disk and had it connected to the network (wireless or cable) and it activates itself. Some take a few restarts.

Check the event logs on the server to see if any machines have activated automatically off your KMS. That way you will know it is defiantly working and running through your firewall.

Thank Post
    Ensure the DNS record is setup showing the _VLMCS key as this allows all client to point to the license server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    When you roll out your Office installation you tell it to either activate against a KMS, or use this key. You can do this using the Office Customization Tool. That's all specified within the setup. You don't need to enter any keys into the client if you've told it to activate against the KMS.
    thats where im getting confused i think. i'd best go install a few more copies to check its working.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    thats where im getting confused i think. i'd best go install a few more copies to check its working.
    Remember that it doesn't start activating until X amount of clients so turn a few on and leave them to play. :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread