+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Office Software Thread, Disable Right-Click in Office 2010 or Windows 7 in Technical; I need to disable the right-click menu in Word 2010 (our locked down exam accounts can still right-click>synonyms to get ...
    Thank Post

Disable Right-Click in Office 2010 or Windows 7

I need to disable the right-click menu in Word 2010 (our locked down exam accounts can still right-click>synonyms to get a thesaurus); I am happy to take the brutal approach and disable it in the entire of Windows 7 if need be, but whatever I do must be per-user, not per-machine, as the PCs in question are in constant use by "normal" users too.

Any ideas?

If it can't be disabled, can the right-click context-menu at least be customised to not include "synonyms"?

Thank Post
    Might be overkill, but for our more complex SEN children we use a variant of this autohotkey script to globally disable right clicks:

Disable the Right Mouse Button?

Thank Post
    Certainly brutal, but I'm not beyond that option if I have to...

Thank Post
    I currently only have Office 2003, but we disable the dictionary files in the Office Common files using Software restriction policies

Doesn't stop them from pressing F7 which you cannot disable in office, BUT it does mean that when you do click it, it complains that it cannot find the files!!

Thank Post
    Doesn't work in Office 2010, as Office re-installs itself if it cannot find that file (Office 2007 and 2010 do have options for disabling shortcut keys like F7, by the way; not sure if they exist in 2003 or not). Most importantly though, having a system whereby students can still F7 and run the spell checker isn't acceptable.

Thank Post
    If it was per machine then its easy to do as you an just un-install the dictionary from office as this is what i have done on 3 laptops that are used for exams.

As for per user have you looked at the ADM templates for office? i have the 2007 ones and i have just had a quick look at there are 2 options that might fit your bill, they are " Disable commands. - enter a comand bar ID to disable" and "Disable shortcut keys". They may well be more advanced ones for 2010 but i haven't got 2010 yet so haven't got the templates.

Also are your students using there normal accounts for exams? I create separate exam accounts for exams and the policy's on these accounts are locked even more than the normal student account you could just block right click for all the exam accounts if need be.

Thank Post
    I know that OFfice 2003 will do the same if you delete the file, whereas if you remove the ability for it to access the DLLs to check for their existence then it doesn't bother trying to reinstall.

Unfortunately there is no way on 2003 I looked for ages to find a way. Anyway the SRP means that even if they found a way of pressing F7 whilst standing on their head and spinning round (we know MS like to have strange ways of getting to dialog boxes which are out of the control of admins, my favourite being adding printers using the Add Scanner and Camera Wizard!!) they couldn't actually use it as the dictionary doesn't exist for them to try to run it

Thank Post
    @jamo - SRPs don't work with Office 2010. Users need full rights to the .dll file, otherwise Office just gets stuck in an endless reconfiguration loop.

@DSapseid - those options allow me to grey out the toolbar buttons for language and spelling, to turn off the "check spelling as you type", and even to disable keyboard shortcuts, however not mouse shortcuts, i.e. Alt+Click or Right Click then "Synonyms".

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that this cannot be done in Office 2010, which is an enormous oversight.

Thank Post
    What about a new group in Ad that has a policy applied to it to disable the context menu then apply that group to the accounts for the exam then remove? or just new accounts like i suggested.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    What about a new group in Ad that has a policy applied to it to disable the context menu
    Sounds good. How do I do that?

Thank Post
    I am subscribing to the view currently that we should be encouraging the use of Wordpad for cases like this.....

I feel your pain, I am now no longer looking forward to updating office to 2010 /cry lol

Thank Post
    Generally, I would agree with you, and this is what our English Department have decided to do, however MFL will also be doing Controlled Assessment later in the year, and they will require Word as they need to insert tables and calculate a Word count.

Thank Post
    - Create a new security group in Active Directory called for example "No Right Click".
    - In Group Policy editor create a new GPO and in the security filtering options remove "authenticated users" and add "No Right Click" it doesnt have to be assigned to any OU's.
    - Edit group policy object and set the setting to disable context menu. Not sure how in Win 7 im afraid as still XP here.

Thank Post
    The disabling right click is application specific, even if you have disabled right click in Windows I think it is still enabled in most apps?? (I think)

Thank Post
    Just found this article. Word 2010 Exam login - remove right-click context menu this looks like it will do the job!!

16. Thanks to DSapseid from:

enjay (6th February 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast