+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Visual Basic Application SIMS!!! in Technical; Can anyone help, WE have now got office 1010 and everything is running fine. however SIMS is not running reports ...

Thank Post

Visual Basic Application SIMS!!!

Can anyone help,

WE have now got office 1010 and everything is running fine. however SIMS is not running reports properly. According to SIMS we need to install Excell Visual Basic Application ???

How do i Do that?

TIA

Thank Post
    Via add remove programs, change your office install, custom and select it to install.

Thank Post
    Hi James,

sorry for been thick but where abouts is it in there?

Thank Post
    In the Office 2010 install options>Office Shared Features>Visual Basic for Applications

Is that what you're looking for?

When you say SIMS is not running reports properly what do you actually mean? Does it fail to load Word/Excel? Does it load it but nothing is displayed?

Thank Post
    We click run report excell opens then we get a error saying
    repairs to 'ReportData.xml'

This workbook has lost its VBA project, ActiveX controls and any other programmability- related reatures

Thank Post
    In the Office 2010 install options>Office Shared Features>Visual Basic for Applications that says run from my computer

Thank Post
    Just do a complete install. That'll cover it!

Thank Post
    Hmm not sure how to get SIMS reports to produce an xml file as the ReportData, thought it was just a txt file.

EDIT: Actually it does produce xls files too.. hmm have they updated their templates?
    Last edited by apeo; 14th December 2011 at 01:15 PM.

Thank Post
    hmm have they updated their templates?

What you mean?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you need to enable this on a large scale (as I did when I had exactly the same issue) you can create a .mst with the office customisation toolkit which will just install that component.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Hmm not sure how to get SIMS reports to produce an xml file as the ReportData, thought it was just a txt file.

EDIT: Actually it does produce xls files too.. hmm have they updated their templates?
    For as long as I remember, SIMS has always produced it's reports as XML files, it's just that it converts them to whatever format you ask for before you see them usually.

On topic - SIMS relies on VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) to produce it's reports in Word and Excel; if you don't have VBA installed, SIMS can't produce it's reports. You need to install VBA.

- In your computer's Control Panel, find "Add/Remove Programs" (or "Programs and Features" in Win7). You'll be presented with a list of installed applications.
    - Locate Microsoft Office 2010 in the list, then look for a button labelled "Change/Remove" (it's position will vary dependant on OS).
    - A windows will pop up with an option to "Add or Remove Features"; select it and click next.
    - You'll then be presented with a list of all the Microsoft Office features available; one of these will be "Visual Basic for Applications". Right click on it and select "Run from my computer".
    - Click next to any further screens and once installation is complete, try SIMS again (you may need to restart your machine first)
    Last edited by LosOjos; 14th December 2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thank Post
    For as long as I rememmber, SIMS has always produced it's reports as XML files, it's just that it converts them to whatever format you ask for before you see them usually.

On topic - SIMS relies on VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) to produce it's reports in Word and Excel; if you don't have VBA installed, SIMS can't produce it's reports. You need to install VBA.

- In your computer's Control Panel, find "Add/Remove Programs" (or "Programs and Features" in Win7). You'll be presented with a list of installed applications.
    - Locate Microsoft Office 2010 in the list, then look for a button labelled "Change/Remove" (it's position will vary dependant on OS).
    - A windows will pop up with an option to "Add or Remove Features"; select it and click next.
    - You'll then be presented with a list of all the Microsoft Office features available; one of these will be "Visual Basic for Applications". Right click on it and select "Run from my computer".
    - Click next to any further screens and once installation is complete, try SIMS again (you may need to restart your machine first)

This is all done and still the same problem??

Is there anything in the OCT that i could have done to disable it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDLEA View Post
    Is there anything in the OCT that i could have done to disable it
    What is the "OCT"?

It may be worth re-installing SIMS on the machine with the problem; is it localised to one machine?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    What is the "OCT"?

It may be worth re-installing SIMS on the machine with the problem; is it localised to one machine?
    I imagine it means Office Customisation Toolkit, and if you've disabled it in your deployment then you would see that when you check in add/removes which you've already stated is installed.

Try reinstalling sims apps and office pia.

@LosOjos: AFAIK on our systems its always produced an xls, txt or doc file as the ReportData (the file used to store data) and then launch office app, using macros to pull the data out. Thats how i thought it worked but I must say I haven't seen ReportData.xml in the tmpSimsRpt folder before. Funny, maybe I missed it.
    Last edited by apeo; 14th December 2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Meant to say haven't seen

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread