+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Office Software Thread, office 2007 vs openoffice in Technical; My 2p When was the last time all the "but they use it in industry" people were actually in industry? ...

Thank Post

Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

My 2p

When was the last time all the "but they use it in industry" people were actually in industry? Im not claiming to be vastly experianced but ive never seen a serious database designed on Access, or a serious DTP use publisher.

Being able to use word is massively helpful... if you want to be a secutery

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'm fairly sure the the summer upgrade to Sims.net will require Office 2003 to be installed on the PC Ric.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,941 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    I'm fairly sure the the summer upgrade to Sims.net will require Office 2003 to be installed on the PC Ric.
    Ooh, that'll really please one of our SEN team who has refused to upgrade from Office XP...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I've dug out the proper info now, as posted by our LEA SIMS support people:

Assessment Manager 7 and Profiles 7 both require MS Office 2003, rather than earlier versions, for reporting. Schools that are going to adopt these modules need to ensure that any workstation that will be used with these modules should have a licensed version of Office 2003 installed on it. It is likely that all SIMS modules will require this version (or later) in the future. At the present time MS Office 2007, which has recently been released by Microsoft, is not supported for working in conjunction with SIMs

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,941 Posts
    Blog Entries

Maybe now would be an opportune moment for them to start exporting the data in a universal format? Such as csv files or the like?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I also believe that they are working on the problem and that it is possible to use the free MS Office viewer tools.
    I tried the viewers - they didn't work - SIMS looks for MS Office installed in the usual places.

Thank Post

I think everyone should speak multiple languages. But if you have to pick one that will maximize your opportunities in the business world, Pick ENGLISH. Spanish, French, Korean, etc. ad infinitum are all worthy languages. But English is the one I reccomend you learn to read and write to achieve the greatest benefit in your educational and professional career.

Microsoft Office is ENGLISH. Open office is a secondary language.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    My 2p

When was the last time all the "but they use it in industry" people were actually in industry? Im not claiming to be vastly experianced but ive never seen a serious database designed on Access, or a serious DTP use publisher.

Being able to use word is massively helpful... if you want to be a secutery
    I know at least two major corporations that use Access as a front end database to their SQL server at the server. Access is now moving away from the forefront as a DB application for business use in any case towards a more "quick fix" format, leaving SQL Express and SQL from Microsoft filling the gap that it would leave for businesses who haven't yet made the transition from Access to SQL. If you look at Access 2007 it's very home user oriented, but could still fill a role for the small business should you need it to.

DTP on Publisher? Is it supposed to be a high-end DTP application then? I wasn't aware that it was. In that department you would more than likely find an Apple system chugging away. But the tools that industry really use are PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Outlook. You *will* find industry almost everywhere using all or a combination of those tools. It's still a fact of life unfortunately.

Paul

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I think the argument of 'industry standard' applications is an old one that has moved on.
    Currently schools have an obligation to provide training to get students through their courses, not to learn a particular application for industry, who knows what industry will be using in 5yrs.
    IMO the 'industry standard' is in the file format. MSOffice is fragmented, different versions defaulting to different file formats, and has inconsistencies within the different versions. The file format that should be adopted is ODF (ISO/IEC 26300) because it is supported by the biggest variety of office applications, it is recognised by the international standards organisation and is being adopted by governments around the world. Indeed, Becta want this as a mandatory requirement in UK schools.
    If MSOffice is installed, at the very minimum the ODF plugin should also be installed so that interoperability is allowed

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Also remember that there is nothing stopping you having both installed side by side. Aside from file associations (which can be solved with MSI transforms) they coexist quite happily.

Thank Post

To be honest teachers and students can cope with changes better than you think, within 3 years we have gone from a completely windows solution, to linux servers windows clients with ms office, then linux servers windows clients and openoffice(not for admin cause of sims, though we are now moving to web-based cmis). To our present setup which is linux servers and 2/3 linux clients.

We actually had parents complaining on a parents evening that the school wasn't using Linux throughout, we also seem to have a high-level of students who already (or their parents use) linux/open source at home and those who don't get a free cd with all the windows version of the software.

I must say that using software such as scribus rather than publisher does create a more professional looking document and the student (especially the yr 9's) can do fantastic posters and images in the gimp, that you could never do with a word/paint combo (we never owned photoshop).

But it's all about the school (mine is very supportive) and maybe the students (grammar school).

Back to the question though, the best thing to do is run them side by side, and if your brave, make openoffice the default!

Jo

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by linuxgirlie
    Back to the question though, the best thing to do is run them side by side, and if your brave, make openoffice the default!

Jo
    yes running side by side is a definate, as for OO set as default..................... I dont think im that brave

some very good views expressed here, so much so that i showed this thread to several people here at the College, managers and tutors alike, needless to say the fight is still ongoing ops:

Thank Post

We are actually installing OO for sixth formers real soon. But it won't be the default. I too am not that brave. We will be using OO not so much for teaching and learning (though some might do that and I have no problems with it) but for the PDF conversion tool (of all things). Because I am not so brave that I will be using Office 2007 on the network any time soon either...

Thank Post

I did a test with our 1st and 6th Form both having OO and Office 2007 to test between for a week. Which on came out on top, the one with a similar menu system to Office 2003 or the one that is completely different... Office 2007 was by far the most prefered one.

So Office 2007 went around the whole college, all staff and kids like it, although some just do not like change. OO is installed on a handful of pc's for those that use it at home. But seen i'm here to try and aid their learning i listened to them not the usual anti-microsoft witch hunt.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We currently cannot afford to upgrade our Office 2k licenses to Office 2k7.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast