+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50
Office Software Thread, office 2007 vs openoffice in Technical; @shefflad: Given that most major organisations are only now upgrading to Office 2003, what is the liklihood that Office 2007 ...
  1. #16

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    7,601
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 771 Times in 599 Posts
    Rep Power
    183

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    @shefflad: Given that most major organisations are only now upgrading to Office 2003, what is the liklihood that Office 2007 will be being used?

    Can you justify spending over a fifth of your annual budget upgrading to a product that MAY be used by an employer when the kids leave school. Existing pupils will already have had exposure to MS Office 2003 and within the next 5 years another version of MS Office will have been released and a decision about adopting that can be made then.

  2. #17
    mrforgetful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,639
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    We have MS Office and Open Office, noone even loads Open Office.
    90% of people use Windows Media Player instead of Winamp or VLC.

    We don't even have an alternative to Adobe Reader or Apple Quicktime Playerbut that's ok because they're not MS products...

    Anyway, I love Office 2007 and wish we could afford to roll it out throughout, I just love the new interface, and although one person did complain constantly withina week they too were discovering things previously unknown. Sure the features were there but where!

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    829
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    All PCs in the school have either Office 2003 or Office XP on them, frankly I'm not upgrading them to 2007 and will only start installing it after we've adopted Vista - which won't be this year.

  4. #19
    mrforgetful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,639
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    All this talk of costs, what about the amount of space saved by converting all documents to 2007 versions? It's a massive difference and when backups are so expensive..

  5. #20
    altecsole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Whittington, Lancashire
    Posts
    286
    Thank Post
    40
    Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    There'd be uproar here if we removed MS Office and gave them Open Office; not because of Word or Excel, but because of Outlook. Coupled with Exchange it's hard to beat. Plus, PARS (attendance software that we've just got) loads Calendar information from Outlook at startup and isn't happy if it's not there.

  6. #21
    Quackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,450
    Thank Post
    45
    Thanked 160 Times in 135 Posts
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    I would go with Office 2007 for the interface alone, its so good. Puts Office 2003 to shame when you've used it for a half an hour.

  7. #22
    mrforgetful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,639
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    Quote Originally Posted by altecsole
    There'd be uproar here if we removed MS Office and gave them Open Office; not because of Word or Excel, but because of Outlook. Coupled with Exchange it's hard to beat. Plus, PARS (attendance software that we've just got) loads Calendar information from Outlook at startup and isn't happy if it's not there.
    Can you not just give them Exchange Web Access?

  8. #23
    altecsole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Whittington, Lancashire
    Posts
    286
    Thank Post
    40
    Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    Can you not just give them Exchange Web Access?
    We give student OWA, but staff use Outlook. Some staff could probably get by with OWA, but others find Outlook works better for them. In particular, cached mode is useful for staff laptops.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    307
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    There is another thing to consider when comparing Office products that is not only how good they are or whether they will be used in industry. That is the willingness of the staff to learn the new software. We have had staff turn software down without trying it because it is a cheaper version (therefore must be an inferior product).

    Those staff with no knowledge of IT have also been the ones with no problems with using alternative software - many use Open Office to view presentations with no fuss whatsoever.

    With any new software there is always a learning curve, including new versions of the same software. Teaching kids to learn knowledge of how to do things rather than how to do it with MS applications is a must. The argument of teach them to use MS because that is what is used in business is a nonsense. That would be like saying you can only apply for jobs which are exactly the same as you would not be able to adapt to the new software/procedures etc unless they were the same. The idea is you teach them the theory and they can apply this to any software used today.

    We currently have Open Office and MS Office installed on our machines here after recently upgrading from Ability Office (which could not meet all the GCSE requirments.) And our pupils did not have any trouble in moving over from one application to another.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Clog Land
    Posts
    178
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    There needs to be a larger push from the government to impliment change in this area. Some of my blue skies thinking led me to a point where I thought it would be a great idea if the government had it's own open source developers for education. It would save the education system fortunes in licence fees, Teachers would get the prducts they need to teach the curriculum. I doubt this will happen as we seem to want to privatise everything.

  11. #26

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    7,601
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 771 Times in 599 Posts
    Rep Power
    183

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    @mrforgetful: How big is a .odt?

    @altescole: Your Exchange CALs allow you to run Outlook on the clients (hence why your media kit comes with a copy). Outlook is a member of the office 'family' not just the office 'suite'.

    @pallen: I totally agree with your argument that you MUST have transferable skills. I'm sure that most employers require general IT skills and having never used MS Word doesn't mean that you don't know how to word process a letter. The only times that particular products are specified are skilled jobs and the advanced features required in these instances are not taught in school anyway.

  12. #27
    Joedetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    1,316
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    Quick note about Exchange and Outlook. You can easily get Evolution to connect under Linux and it's a great interaction with the server just as outlook provides, i couldnt flaw it.

  13. #28
    mrforgetful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,639
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    @mrforgetful: How big is a .odt?
    Holy Terror! Ric_ they're smaller than docx and .ods is smaller than xlsx!

    But they have x's in the same and that's cool?

  14. #29
    altecsole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Whittington, Lancashire
    Posts
    286
    Thank Post
    40
    Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    @altescole: Your Exchange CALs allow you to run Outlook on the clients (hence why your media kit comes with a copy).
    Thanks for the heads up on that. Now I'm told that SIMS will only work with MS Word! Can anyone confirm that SIMS will work with Open Office?

  15. #30

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    7,601
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 771 Times in 599 Posts
    Rep Power
    183

    Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

    Quote Originally Posted by altecsole
    [Now I'm told that SIMS will only work with MS Word! Can anyone confirm that SIMS will work with Open Office?
    I believe that is the case but it SIMS isn't yet approved for use with Office 2007 either. I also believe that they are working on the problem and that it is possible to use the free MS Office viewer tools.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14th August 2009, 02:58 AM
  2. Running Office 2003 and Office 2007
    By mrforgetful in forum Office Software
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12th June 2008, 02:11 PM
  3. Office 2007
    By srochford in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27th June 2007, 08:35 AM
  4. Office 2007
    By localzuk in forum Office Software
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10th April 2007, 05:33 PM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 22nd February 2007, 04:06 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •