+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Office Software Thread, office 2007 vs openoffice in Technical; @shefflad: Given that most major organisations are only now upgrading to Office 2003, what is the liklihood that Office 2007 ...

Thank Post

Re: office 2007 vs openoffice

@shefflad: Given that most major organisations are only now upgrading to Office 2003, what is the liklihood that Office 2007 will be being used?

Can you justify spending over a fifth of your annual budget upgrading to a product that MAY be used by an employer when the kids leave school. Existing pupils will already have had exposure to MS Office 2003 and within the next 5 years another version of MS Office will have been released and a decision about adopting that can be made then.

Thank Post

We have MS Office and Open Office, noone even loads Open Office.
    90% of people use Windows Media Player instead of Winamp or VLC.

We don't even have an alternative to Adobe Reader or Apple Quicktime Playerbut that's ok because they're not MS products...

Anyway, I love Office 2007 and wish we could afford to roll it out throughout, I just love the new interface, and although one person did complain constantly withina week they too were discovering things previously unknown. Sure the features were there but where!

Thank Post

All PCs in the school have either Office 2003 or Office XP on them, frankly I'm not upgrading them to 2007 and will only start installing it after we've adopted Vista - which won't be this year.

Thank Post

All this talk of costs, what about the amount of space saved by converting all documents to 2007 versions? It's a massive difference and when backups are so expensive..

Thank Post

There'd be uproar here if we removed MS Office and gave them Open Office; not because of Word or Excel, but because of Outlook. Coupled with Exchange it's hard to beat. Plus, PARS (attendance software that we've just got) loads Calendar information from Outlook at startup and isn't happy if it's not there.

Thank Post

I would go with Office 2007 for the interface alone, its so good. Puts Office 2003 to shame when you've used it for a half an hour.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by altecsole
    There'd be uproar here if we removed MS Office and gave them Open Office; not because of Word or Excel, but because of Outlook. Coupled with Exchange it's hard to beat. Plus, PARS (attendance software that we've just got) loads Calendar information from Outlook at startup and isn't happy if it's not there.
    Can you not just give them Exchange Web Access?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    Can you not just give them Exchange Web Access?
    We give student OWA, but staff use Outlook. Some staff could probably get by with OWA, but others find Outlook works better for them. In particular, cached mode is useful for staff laptops.

Thank Post

There is another thing to consider when comparing Office products that is not only how good they are or whether they will be used in industry. That is the willingness of the staff to learn the new software. We have had staff turn software down without trying it because it is a cheaper version (therefore must be an inferior product).

Those staff with no knowledge of IT have also been the ones with no problems with using alternative software - many use Open Office to view presentations with no fuss whatsoever.

With any new software there is always a learning curve, including new versions of the same software. Teaching kids to learn knowledge of how to do things rather than how to do it with MS applications is a must. The argument of teach them to use MS because that is what is used in business is a nonsense. That would be like saying you can only apply for jobs which are exactly the same as you would not be able to adapt to the new software/procedures etc unless they were the same. The idea is you teach them the theory and they can apply this to any software used today.

We currently have Open Office and MS Office installed on our machines here after recently upgrading from Ability Office (which could not meet all the GCSE requirments.) And our pupils did not have any trouble in moving over from one application to another.

Thank Post

There needs to be a larger push from the government to impliment change in this area. Some of my blue skies thinking led me to a point where I thought it would be a great idea if the government had it's own open source developers for education. It would save the education system fortunes in licence fees, Teachers would get the prducts they need to teach the curriculum. I doubt this will happen as we seem to want to privatise everything.

Thank Post

@mrforgetful: How big is a .odt?

@altescole: Your Exchange CALs allow you to run Outlook on the clients (hence why your media kit comes with a copy). Outlook is a member of the office 'family' not just the office 'suite'.

@pallen: I totally agree with your argument that you MUST have transferable skills. I'm sure that most employers require general IT skills and having never used MS Word doesn't mean that you don't know how to word process a letter. The only times that particular products are specified are skilled jobs and the advanced features required in these instances are not taught in school anyway.

Thank Post

Quick note about Exchange and Outlook. You can easily get Evolution to connect under Linux and it's a great interaction with the server just as outlook provides, i couldnt flaw it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    @mrforgetful: How big is a .odt?
    Holy Terror! Ric_ they're smaller than docx and .ods is smaller than xlsx!

But they have x's in the same and that's cool?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    @altescole: Your Exchange CALs allow you to run Outlook on the clients (hence why your media kit comes with a copy).
    Thanks for the heads up on that. Now I'm told that SIMS will only work with MS Word! Can anyone confirm that SIMS will work with Open Office?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by altecsole
    [Now I'm told that SIMS will only work with MS Word! Can anyone confirm that SIMS will work with Open Office?
    I believe that is the case but it SIMS isn't yet approved for use with Office 2007 either. I also believe that they are working on the problem and that it is possible to use the free MS Office viewer tools.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast