+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Office Software Thread, Office 2000 or Office XP? in Technical; @Russ: Download them both and install them. I did this yesturday and (other than the splash screens) there is no ...

Thank Post

Re: Office 2000 or Office XP?

@Russ: Download them both and install them. I did this yesturday and (other than the splash screens) there is no discernable difference between OpenOffice 2 and StarOffice 8.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

StarOffice is officially suported by SUN, if that counts for anything!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Gotta correct a statement I made.

Just checking the wikipedia - Microsoft isn't actually adopting the Open Document standard at all - but it's own standard that will open the format but save it in a way that other programs won't be able to open - is my understanding. M$ were invited to the process but failed to attend, check the wikipedia fo the sordid details

I think this thread needs splitting mods

Thank Post

@Mark: I knew that - I think people want to know the functional differences though.

I don't think we need to split it for another couple of pages - It's all related to choosing which office productivity software to run.

Thank Post

I disliked O2000 and OXP personally. Too damned bloated, and felt/acted flaky.

O2003 is much better, but I use OO 2.0 at home.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

hmmm - MSOffice is so damned expensive, and OpenOffice not familiar enough to use by teaching staff [i'm thinking databases here]....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Have you acutally tried introducing them to OO.org Base? I suspect they'll figure it out.

Don't forget there's plenty of documentation, howto's and samples you can get for them too.

http://documentation.openoffice.org/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks, i'll pass that on Geoff. They don't even want to move from 2K to 2K+3 because access 'looks different'. I'll let the Head and the Resource committee know tho' that huge savings could be made. £40 per copy of MSOfficePro times 250 = £10k ...wow!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries

As was pointed out ot the confernace by the Cutter Project people. Will M$ Office 2k still be around when you new year 7's hit the workplace? You have to upgrade sometime, and now is as good a time as any, especially as Star Office is nice and free. Show them this picture to allow them to compare the difference.

Thank Post

thats a good point...! Hah. "Welcome to Office 2012", bloatware edition...hmm..

Thank Post

Office 2006 isn't even going to use the traditional toolbar interface that every other program in the history of Windows does. Instead it will use the Microsoft Ribbon which will adapt, depending upon what you are doing, so that there are less icons dotted around the screen.

Since Office 2006 is suposedly going to be so different, it may be worth considering using OpenOffice or StarOffice between now and its release - you won't lose out financially and you wont be tied into an upgrade path.

Of course, all this is only really relevant if you don't have limitless pots of cash and you don't have enough 2003 licenses.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I like that point Ric_

Thank Post

i'm gonna play devils advocate now and say...

But are we teaching them to be able to use and work with MS Office products because thats what you'll run into outside of school? Every buisness around here uses MS Office or Works that I've seen [whether they are legal or not isnt for me to say - I know *I* didnt put it on there hehe] and thats what they are being taught for?

Ideally myself, I would like to see a computer suite here with A Open-Source based office like you guys are refering to Open Office for one would be one of the candicates.

You could schedule teaching of IT in the one room with MS Office and then they just have open office provided for them to do work on other subjects etc....

I guess that would at least cater for both - but until open source is much more widestream - its not really practical up here at the moment.

Regards
    Nath

Thank Post

@tarquel: Your point is understood but just think about it for a second (this point was raised at the conference)...

A year 7 kid who leaves school at 16 has 5 years before hitting an office, a year 7 kid that leaves school at 18 has 7 years and a year 7 kid who graduates uni has AT LEAST 10 YEARS before entering the world of work!!!

Who's to say that MS Office will be the predominate software in 5 years time, never mind 10?

The skills being taught should be transferable skills - typing in Writer and typing in Word is fundamentally the same after all.

As for widespread usage - give each child in your school a copy of OpenOffice and (assuming half of them use it) you will have increased the usage of OpenOffice by somewhere in the region of 500 users!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Open Office is being deployed in Powys by the County Council Tarq - and they are the largest employer in our area. For any employer surely it makes good economical sense to move to Open Office, or Star Office if they need support, as well as the ability to write in a universally recognised format.

We've been deploying Open Office and Star Office to all our machines for 2 years - it's free, and it gives an alternative. The two [OO+MSO] work seamlessly together. Why not just do it? We also give it out to kids free on a CD. Our area is not economically affluent - this way we're not forcing people into piracy or supporting a company with immorral business practices.

It's up to schools to be at the forefront of technology, and OO at the moment seems to be that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12