+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Powerpoint in Technical; A guest speaker has emailed her presentation and it has been passed to me because nobody knows what to do ...

Thank Post

Powerpoint

A guest speaker has emailed her presentation and it has been passed to me because nobody knows what to do with it. That now includes me. The attachment file has a .pptx extension but when it is downloaded it is a zip file full of XML files. Can someone point me in the right direction please? I'm just off swimming for the morning ad#nd she's coming in this afternoon!!!

Thank Post
    The PPTX file "is" a zip filled with XML files. It should be the zip as such that's the PPTX file.

Steve

3. Thanks to Steve21 from:

laserblazer (16th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Use the file open option in PowerPoint and see if this resolves it.

5. Thanks to smadison from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 2,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like you have somehow mapped the .pptx extension to be opened by your zip program instead of Powerpoint.

Which version of Powerpoint do you have? If it is 2003, do you have the 2007/2010 compatibility pack installed?

7. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some dodgey webmail stuff does attempt to run the Office 2007-2010 files as zip files as their content types are in fact zip files with the constiuents in them. If you try to download it directly rather than opening it from the site you may have better results and if you are still with the older Office 2003 you will need to download and install the Office Compatibility pack to open it with the basic features intact. If they have used any of the extencive fancy improvements then these will be lost when opening on the old system though.

It may be better to just install the 60 day trial of PowerPoint from http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/try/ and then it will be able to open it in its full 'glory' or horror depending on the presenters skills or lack of with PowerPoint
    Last edited by SYNACK; 16th June 2011 at 09:48 AM.

9. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,367 Times in 1,742 Posts
    As said earlier, if you have Office 2003 (or even XP) make sure the Compatibility Pack is installed
    Download details: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats

and all should be well. It's not a big install. If necessary do a right click and "Open with" to force opening with your PowerPoint if necessary.

11. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    Thanks guys and gals. I opened it in Outlook and it was fine. You've saved me a heap of time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Some dodgey webmail stuff does attempt to run the Office 2007-2010 files as zip files as their content types are in fact zip files with the constiuents in them. If you try to download it directly rather than opening it from the site you may have better results and if you are still with the older Office 2003 you will need to download and install the Office Compatibility pack to open it with the basic features intact. If they have used any of the extencive fancy improvements then these will be lost when opening on the old system though.

It may be better to just install the 60 day trial of PowerPoint from Try Office 2010 - Office.com and then it will be able to open it in its full 'glory' or horror depending on the presenters skills or lack of with PowerPoint
    That was it thanks. I never knew that about webmail. We still run 2003 because all of the work modules are based around it and it would mean a whole new set of books. They do all have the compatibility pack installed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread