+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Office 2010 failing to install! in Technical; Afternoon all! I've recently rolled out Office 2010 across the school, but seem to have a problem with just 5 ...
    Thank Post

Office 2010 failing to install!

Afternoon all!

I've recently rolled out Office 2010 across the school, but seem to have a problem with just 5 PC's that refuse to take Office 2010...

Originally, I used a script that removed Office 2003 and installed Office 2010, which seems to have worked with all of the PC's in the school, bar 5.
    When I attended to check these 5 PC's, Office 2003 was removed, but either 2010 was not installed, or it was installed but came up with the following error message when I tried to open Word/Excel:

"This action is only valid for the products that are currently installed"

I've checked the Event Log and it shows Office has finished installing, so I've cancelled the script, and tried to uninstall it and reinstall it from the Network.

As I ran Setup, it would begin installing right up to the last minute, and it would just come up with a message that just said "Has encountered an error and could not complete".

I'v tried re-installing it a few times, but I've still had no joy. But oddly, when I go to program files/microsoft office/office14 - I can run Word/Excel etc from there, with no errors or problems... I've tried linking the Program File shortcuts to this folder (Just for giggles) but no joy either.

I've pretty much come against a brick wall here - has anyone come up against this type of problem before? Anyone managed to solve it?

Thank Post
    The only way I can think of is too create a transform with the office customise tool thingy that does nothing but recreate the shortcuts in the locations you want. Then run a repair with this file. I think the command will be something like setup.exe /repair /adminfile "custom setup file"

3. Thanks to cromertech from:

happymeal (8th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Cheers for that - I've given that a try and it worked on 2 of them. But it turns out the other 3 are not working because of some dodgy software stuck on the PC's (Turns out someone without admin permissions as tried and somehow suceeded to install a dodgy copy of Photoshop...).
    Flatten the final 3, popped the image back onto the PC and re-installed Office 2010 with no dramas - cheers anyway!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread