+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Office Software Thread, Disabling spell checker in Word?????? in Technical; Proofing Tools, like the spell checker and grammar checker, are stored in a Registry key called "Proofing Tools" and also ...
    Thank Post

Re: Disabling spell checker in Word??????

Proofing Tools, like the spell checker and grammar checker, are stored in a Registry key called "Proofing Tools" and also in a Microsoft Shared folder on your hard drive called "Proof" You could have a look here and see if you can do 'adjusting'.

Best of luck.

Thank Post
    Hi,

What you'll need to do is import something like the below into the registry on logon:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override\en-US]
    "dll"="c:\\temp\\dud.dll"
    "lex"="c:\\temp\\dud.lex"

Assuming that you are using bespoke exam accounts then you'll not need to do anything further.

3. 2 Thanks to tonysharps:

AngryTechnician (3rd November 2010), Oxcidius (8th December 2010)

Thank Post
    TonySharpes you are a genius, that has ended an afternoon's worth of searching for the answer!

As an extra, if you want to turn the thesaurus/grammar check off, rename
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF
    to :
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOFOLD
    Change permissions on C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared to Writeeny (to stop it recreating the folder)

Many thanks again!

5. Thanks to brewster from:

ShorehamGeek (10th November 2010)

Thank Post
    This is exactly what I'm needing to for some Controlled Assessment users for whom WordPad is unsuitable.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I gave the 'exam' group deny read permission to the msspell3.dll
    Can I ask how you did this, CyberNerd?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tonysharps View Post
    Hi,

What you'll need to do is import something like the below into the registry on logon:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override\en-US]
    "dll"="c:\\temp\\dud.dll"
    "lex"="c:\\temp\\dud.lex"

Assuming that you are using bespoke exam accounts then you'll not need to do anything further.
    I couldn't get that to work when I tried it just now. I thought at first it was because I had a UK English dictionary set, not US English, but even when I changed it to US, I was still able to spell check. Am I missing something?

Thank Post
    Okay, here's what I've done.

I copied C:Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF\msspell3.dll from my PC to the network and then changed the permissions on it so that the exam users have "deny" permissions on it. Then I copied the file to all the curriculum PCs using the batch file Xcopy msspell3.dll "\\[computer name]\c$\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF" /O /Y. This will obviously need repeating any time I re-image the PCs.

The first time a user tries to run the spell check, they get told that it isn't available for their language; any subsequent attempts to spell check simply come back saying "spell check complete". Changing the language doesn't make any difference, since all languages use the same DLL file.

Happy days.

Thank Post
    What an excellent selection of posts. Just the ticket for me in these days of increased controlled assessment. I've taken a combined approach. Set the permissions using GPO:
    Progs\Common Files\Microsoft Shared -> deny write to the exams group (to stop anything being installed)
    Progs\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof -> deny read to the exams group (to stop the use of spelling, grammar, thesaurus etc)
    Add students to exams group and all is well with the world (as long as there is enough notice for the domain controllers to sync)!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    The first time a user tries to run the spell check, they get told that it isn't available for their language; any subsequent attempts to spell check simply come back saying "spell check complete". Changing the language doesn't make any difference, since all languages use the same DLL file.

Happy days.
    Glad that worked as I did overhear our ICT dept talking about having to do controlled assements, so that was what set me thinking about how to do it.
    They haven't actually asked if it's possible yet though, which I guess is par for the course
    Last edited by glensc; 10th November 2010 at 05:20 PM.

11. Thanks to glensc from:

enjay (11th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glensc View Post
    They haven't actually asked if it's possible yet though, which I guess is par for the course
    We specifically asked staff about their CA requirements, as we knew the potential minefield and headache it would be, so wanted as long as possible to work on it.

BTW, are you the same Glen that gave me this solution over on RM Communities?

Thank Post
    We had no problems with disabling Word 2003 spellchecking last year, but this year we have upgraded to Word 2007 and, to start, there is no msspell3.dll in the Microsoft Shared folder anymore!
    I tried renaming PROOF folder and deny access for the exam user to this folder but still it recreated itself and even though the exam user has full deny on the PROOF folder, we were STILL able to spellcheck!
    Has anyone managed to disable it properly in Word 2007?
    Also, anyone know how to disable F7 too?
    Cheers guys!

Thank Post
    We specifically asked staff about their CA requirements, as we knew the potential minefield and headache it would be, so wanted as long as possible to work on it.

BTW, are you the same Glen that gave me this solution over on RM Communities?
    I'm the same Glen.

I finally got some information out of them today, apparently out ICT dept are saying, for their version, that they are allowed acess to spell check, as well as the internet.

Thank Post
    I'm the same Glen.
    In which case I'll "thank" you here, since there isn't that feature on Communities :-)

I finally got some information out of them today, apparently out ICT dept are saying, for their version, that they are allowed acess to spell check, as well as the internet.
    Yes, sadly the requirements differ for each department.

Thank Post
    Hi Oxcidius,

The method I've outlined above will disable spell checker in Office 2007. The box has to have all Office 2k7 components installed though. If anything 2003 is still installed, including supplementary applications such as Project and Visio then it won't get nobbled.

Thanks,

Tony.

Thank Post
    Okay, here's what I've done.

I copied C:Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF\msspell3.dll from my PC to the network and then changed the permissions on it so that the exam users have "deny" permissions on it. Then I copied the file to all the curriculum PCs using the batch file Xcopy msspell3.dll "\\[computer name]\c$\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF" /O /Y. This will obviously need repeating any time I re-image the PCs.

Happy days.
    Problem - turns out this doesn't work after all. It does successfully block the spell checker, but only for a limited time. When a new user logs in to the computer and opens Office, it runs the little first run configuration thing - unfortunately, that over-writes my modified msspell3.dll with a clean one.

Any suggestions how I can stop this, other than repeatedly running the script, of course?

Thank Post
    You should be able to use GPO settings to apply the correct security to the DLL file. Otherwise use your logon (NOT startup) script to change security

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast