+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Office Software Thread, Microsoft Live@Edu Mail in Technical; I have setup my Live@Edu account, configured my domain for Live@Edu and can access my test eMail account using OWA ...
    Thank Post

Microsoft Live@Edu Mail

I have setup my Live@Edu account, configured my domain for Live@Edu and can access my test eMail account using OWA without issue.....

The problem comes when I try to setup an Outlook 2007 client within our school.

Having worked through all of the information provided by Microsoft and setup the autodiscover record - my Outlook 2007 client will not connect

At first I am informed that an encrypted connection is not possible and i will try an unencrypted connection....then
    big tick next to Establish network connection

and

big cross next to Search for myemailaddress server settings (unencrypted)

"epic fail, game over"

Is there anyway I can test if the autodiscover is actually working, is it possible to manually specify the Live@Edu Exchange server settings?

Thank you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    I think you can set up the settings manually, but you may need to check the right ports are allowed out through your school firewall / proxy.

I think that connecting via outlook straight to exchange will be using rpc over http.

There was a thread from yesterday looking at ports and had a link for how to test your connection. Try a quick search.

Thank Post
    Can't you browse the the autodiscover address and see what it resolves to?

Thank Post
    Hi thanks for this,

an nslookup seems to resolve as expected:

Name: autodiscover.outlook.com
    Address: 213.199.174.107
    Aliases: autodiscover.wilmslowhigh.com

I will take a look and see if it is our smoothwall box blocking the ports

Thank Post
    Here's the link to the other thread i mentioned:
    Exchange / Outlook 2010 Autodiscover / Outlook Anywhere [Solved]

Also, if you didn't know, in addition to a number of smoothwall staff as members, we have a dedicated Smoothwall support forum. They should be able to sort out your issue, or at least rule out a firewall config problem.

Edit: Just click the direct support tab at the top.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 27th January 2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: addition

Thank Post
    Is the account you're attempting to connect with GALDisabled? If it is you need to manually enabled MAPI connections through PowerShell otherwise this won't work.

If it's not GALDisabled... hmmm, would need to know more.

Thank Post
    I think you can set up the settings manually
    I've done that - getting hold of the right names to type in is a pain e.g. they're not explicitly in the settings you get from the OWA help->about.

--

A good place to start troubleshooting this kind of thing is the Microsoft Exchange Remote Connectivity Analyzer. If it works there, then it's very likely something to do with what happens to HTTPS & HTTP between the school workstation and the net.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 27th January 2011 at 05:16 PM.

Thank Post
    I am, rather ignorantly, struggling with what parameters I am meant to pass the Exchange Remote Connectivity tool. As the Live@Edu service is hosted by microsoft. I only have the MX server address from Microsoft, my login and the autodiscover address. I seem to be banging my head against a brick wall with this one. I may well have to give in and make a support call to Microsoft

Thank Post
    Can you try it on a laptop from home or somewhere else, external to the school. As it's hosted by Microsoft, you should be able to connect your client from anywhere you have an internet connection. This will rule out multiple issues that could be present in the school.

These links probably aren't much help:
    Autodiscover with a Shared Address? - Outlook Live Answers
    Why can't i connect to my Live@edu account with Microsoft Outlook 2007 - Outlook Live Answers
    Test your Outlook Live Connectivity with the Exchange Server Remote Connectivity Analyzer « Live@edu

but a more thorough search may pay dividends, though james' blog came high up on the search too, and we've got him here!

I've had to use M$ support before and after half a dozen emails clarifying the problem and telling me they were going to help me (really annoying), my call got escalated and resolved really quickly.

Thank Post
    thank you vikpaw, i will try on my PC from home to double check it isn't a problem with the school filtering.
    also thank you for the heads up on the links and MS support. i will read through the links today and try and avoid the MS support as much as possible!!!
    thanks again
    colin.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I've had to use M$ support before and after half a dozen emails clarifying the problem and telling me they were going to help me (really annoying), my call got escalated and resolved really quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWorry View Post
    i will read through the links today and try and avoid the MS support as much as possible!!!
    Insider tip: rather than logging your calls by email, phone them through the first instance. If it's a high priority issue for you, it's a high priority for the support teams but you need to tell them that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Insider tip: rather than logging your calls by email, phone them through the first instance. If it's a high priority issue for you, it's a high priority for the support teams but you need to tell them that.
    thanks, but it wasn't so much back and forth clarifying, more along the lines of a monologue and repeated emails from the assigned support person e.g. :

- i have received your issue 'unable to manage additional domain' and will try to help you.
    - i understand that your problem is 'unable to manage additional domain', we will assist you in every way we can.
    - the scope has been laid out for your case, the problem: 'unable to manage additional domain', our plan: to fix your issue as stated under problem section.
    - we are now investigating your issue 'unable to manage additional domain', if this outline does not cover your problem, please log a case.

This was over a couple of days, and really didn't see the point. maybe on a large complicated issue, it is needed, but i still can't see the point. i have a problem, you've written it down, now just start fixing it. It wasn't a priority, just needed doing.

Luckily, each email has the analyst, and their boss' contact details, and numbers. In the end after a lack of feedback, i just wrote to them both and said what the heck is going on?

I was then given the update they couldn't sort the problem and it needed escalating. When the escalation bod finally got in touch with me, i had a fix almost immediately, and he even waited a few days while i was on vacation over xmas, before closing the case, so i could properly test.

But we are digressing a little. Don't worry Mr Worry ( ), if you need to log a case do it, just do it now rather than wait. They are there to help us.

Thank Post
    I just logged a call, and after the usual time wasting emails, somebody just called me to give me a rapid response. woohoo, power of the internet (or maybe just EG.)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I just logged a call, and after the usual time wasting emails, somebody just called me to give me a rapid response. woohoo, power of the internet (or maybe just EG.)
    Can you let me know what they said was the problem?

We have what I think is the same issue.

We have tested this with outlook 2007 and it was working fine until Friday afternoon. It now only works on Outlook 2010, it won't connect to outlook 2007 whether on site or off site. If a client had already connected on outlook 2007 before friday, then it works, but if they create a new profile it just doesn't connect. It tries encrypted then changes to unencrypted but then fails.

I know a solution would be upgrade to office 2010, but that is not really an option on doing this halfway through an academic year and on over 2000 computers.

We have logged a call with Microsoft and they have given us some things to try and we have also given them a login and pasword so they can test it. Just would like to know what to say to them so they can move it up the priority list.

Thank Post
    Microsoft did an update on Friday which caused the issue with outlook 2007 for us. They have now resolved it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast