+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Access Guru in Technical; I am teaching myself something new and that is Access, I can do the basics but I want to create ...

Thank Post

Access Guru

I am teaching myself something new and that is Access, I can do the basics but I want to create a complex database. I have penned it all on paper and know what I want to achieve so slowly working on it.

Now to cut to the chase is there anyone who knows access well on here, if so let me know if you would be able to help out when I get stuck.

It is comprising on address data, incident data and assets as such to keep it in IT terms but its a personal project for home.

Eventually I want to create a user login page with privileges etc and look to move it to SQL but that is later.

For the time been I just want to create it in access and play so I can learn.

I also have a reporting section using queries which I can do. Just need to work on my designs for them and I am no good at that.

So any help would be appreciated.

Thank Post
    You say you are looking to move it to SQL eventually - will this still be using an Access front end?

I used to write a lot of systems in Access but eventually outgrew it and now do everything using VB / ASP for the front end. The Access skills are still invaluable in terms of database structure, but looking back I would have been much better not wasting time getting to grips with the quirks of Access forms and reports.

Before you get started it might be worth thinking about learning a scripting language instead for the front end.

Thank Post
    Hi Limbo,

At the moment I would prefer to keep it all within access, I am not a keen scripter so do not want to have to learn something else unless I really have to.

Thank Post
    Happy to help where I can, but it has been a while since I created a front end in Access.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure what you're asking for - do you just want help making the reports look right? (You've said you can do the queries for the reports but you want help with the design???)

If so, some samples of what you're trying to achieve would be useful (just a mock up in Word or something)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread