+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Labels in Microsoft Word, HELP!! in Technical; Hi There, We have a problem with a HP Officejet 6000 printing labels. The layout on the screen looks fine, ...
    Thank Post

Labels in Microsoft Word, HELP!!

Hi There,

We have a problem with a HP Officejet 6000 printing labels. The layout on the screen looks fine, the settings for the label sizes are fine. When the print comes out containing a page of address labels; the address is more and more further up the page each time which leaves the top two rows of labels fitting fine, but as they go further and further down the page, there is less of a gap between the above address each time.

Sorry I couldn't be more straight forward and to the point with the issue, but has anybody seen this before that could help with the issue??

Thanks
    Oliver.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Double check that your are using the right label template. It sounds like you might be using one on a Letter size page rather than A4

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Also check page setup options to ensure the correct paper size / orientation is being used and the same for the printer settings ( on the printer driver - both default settings and normal settings )

Printers & faxes --> right click on said printer --> properties --> under general tab is the normal printer settings and under the advanced tab you should have the printer default settings button for the default settings

Make sure both sets of settings match up with ref to paper size, orientation, paper type etc, if the printer is one that is added from a print server then I would for the sake of printing labels re add the printer locally on the said persons computer using a standard tcp/ip port type printing direct to the printer or copier in question and double check all the above mentioned settings to ensure it all tallies up.

If its still an issue as a last resort I would delete any default templates under the said user profile ( normally a normal.dot file type ) and when re launching word it should re create the standard default template.

Thank Post
    have seen this when pick up rollers on printer tray are worn and sheet slips slightly before it picks up.

can you print to another printer to test this ??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imiddleton25 View Post
    have seen this when pick up rollers on printer tray are worn and sheet slips slightly before it picks up.

can you print to another printer to test this ??
    If that was the case wouldn't this happen all the time regardless of the type of document(s) they were trying to print as apposed to just labels ??

If my above assumption is correct then

@ Oliver - does the printer do this all the time regardless of document type or is it just labels ?

Also I presume they are the correct labels for said printer and the said printer supports the type of labels they are ( as per the service guide lines or spec sheet / manual )

If it is the rollers ( check with the manufacturer to ensure that it will not invalidate the warranty and also that this will work or be ok ) but you might be able to use WD40 on the rollers, wipe the rollers with a lint free cloth which should bring the rollers back as a temp work around )

If not then might need an engineer to attend to fix the issue assuming it doesnt cost too much and is in warranty, otherwise might require a new printer.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 10th January 2011 at 06:09 PM.

Thank Post
    We kinda had the same problem with avery labels for our custom PAT labels. The top ones were fine but as you got further down the page the labels were out of line. There was nothing wrong with the printer, infact it was on a heavy duty konica machine, so i had to resort to creating my own template.. which was a right pane but at least i know its right.

Thank Post
    I've had a lot of experience with mail-merge labels - this is definitly due to a template with incorrect measurments being used. If it was due to mis-alignment or another printer related error the whole page of labels would be printing out of alignment rather than it getting worse the further down each page you got

If you've opted to create your own template by measuring the label sizes yourself this is probably where things gave gone wrong - the measurements have to be incredibly precise - often a better way is to look up what Avery label your lables are meant to be an equivalent to and select this from the list of installed templates instead.

If you can't find an equivalent, select to create a new document from the template you created then highlight all the cells and set the gridlines to black. Printing this off will give you a visual reference to compare to a sheet of labels and should help you to judge where the measurements may be going wrong

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread