+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Excel being silly in Technical; Hi all, For some reason Excel doesn't seem to connect to the currently installed printer, therefore won't give options to ...

Thank Post

Excel being silly

Hi all,

For some reason Excel doesn't seem to connect to the currently installed printer, therefore won't give options to change paper size etc.
    Not sure if this is adding to the problem, but even though there is a printer installed, it's not always set as default ... in fact, no printer is set as default despite there being printers installed.
    I would assume as there is no default, then Excel can't display/change the page settings ... but no other Office application does this, even without a default printer set, Word etc just grab a printer from the installed printer list.

I've had a Google, but can't find an answer to why there's no default printer or why Excel's workings differ from Word etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not seen this before. Can you go through the normal 'find a printer' rountine and do it? Not suggesting as a solution, but might help diagose.

Thank Post
    If I go to the 'print' box in Excel, it makes the connection to a printer ... but until that point Excel assumes there's no printer installed.

Sometimes if I go to the 'page setup' dialog, it says there's no printers installed, but then gives a pop-up box with the currently installed printers from which I can choose.

Thank Post
    I seem to remember this happening in a previous office version when the registry was corrupted, but I cannot remember any of the details on how to correct it.

I have just looked back through my notes and it is something to do with HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows key being missing. Try creating it.

If there is no "Windows" folder listed under WINDOWSNT a default printer cannot be set, causing the issues with Excel not being able to print. Create one "Windows". You do not have to add any subkeys under it.
    Last edited by SneakyBeaky; 31st December 2010 at 11:01 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread