+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Office Software Thread, sharepoint workfow in Technical; Hi, I am running sharepoint 2010. I am currently building some stuff in it. I have a ribbon button in ...
    Thank Post

sharepoint workfow

Hi,

I am running sharepoint 2010. I am currently building some stuff in it. I have a ribbon button in the list item ribbon that starts a workflow.

when you click it, it brings up the "workflow initialization form". (Click start to start the workflow)

but there is no data to be entered. and its not like the worflow launches all the nukes pointed at Russia so I don't really need this level of confirmation.

is there a way to stop the form from displaying?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What do you want to do? Remove the workflow completely from that section?

Thank Post
    no i want the button to run the workflow which it does. but i don't want to be prompted to start the workflow, i've already clicked on the button!! anyways from what i've heard elsewhere you can't get rid of the workflow prompt.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That was mostly going to be my next point. What is the workflow attached to? A list or library?

Thank Post
    a list.

its a helpdesk issue thingy. I didn't use the built in issue tracker i used a generic list and customized it.

Thank Post
    This is logged in as a user

This is logged in as a tech

as you might be able to see if the user logs their own call, they can't assign it.

so when i tech sees it in unassigned calls i want him (or her) to be able to select it and click assign to me. and not have to click confirm or go through several dialogs. I'm probably being a little fussy!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    And you want to manually start a workflow, as opposed to starting one automatically when an item is put into the list?

Thank Post
    i have some workflows that run when the list item is added to the list. that emails the user and does some other stuff.

this workflow i runs when the tech clicks "assign to me". it sets the assigned field to {WorkflowContext:CurrentUser}, the workflow works. i just don't like the confirmation dialog.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, last post posted before I saw your screenshots. I understand what you mean, I'll have a think for you.

Thank Post
    thanks mate. I'm bored of sharepoint for the day anyways! i think the other problem is even if you accept that you got to have a confirmation dialog, it then redirects you to the actual page for the list (which I've gone to great lengths to hide) rather than the screen i posted, which has the web parts for the list.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think you are somewhat limited without code development as to what you can do with the built in features such as workflows and their redirection. I'll still have a look but I think if you want to go that way when it would be development.

Thank Post
    ok developments fine, i'm fluent in c, c#, c++ and pascal. (and I love c#, compared to keeping track of pointers in c ) but I'm new to sharepoint. like literally yesterday!!!!!!

what would I do??
    implement a custom web part for the list view?

or is there a simpler way.? the ribbon buttons are all removed using a small user control. I'm just trying to keep things as simple as possible, just because I don't want to dive in and write a whole web part and then find, I could have just ticked box a on the properties of the built in ones.!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Now you have reached the limits of my expertise, and delved into the 'well this should be what happens'!

A custom web part could be a good way to go. If you have Visio 2010 you can build the webpart in Visio and import it into SharePoint (via designer), that may make things simpler.

A question: If all you car doing it setting a field to change who the task is assigned to, do you need a workflow at all? I guess it is because you are using the built in helpdesk list that this is already set, but I am wondering if you can bypass the need for a workflow?

Thank Post
    if you look on the screenshot i have an "assign" button. that shows a form and the tech selects someone to assign it to via a people picker.

i think i may remove the assign to me button aand make them use the assign button, i was just trying to make one less step for them as I think key to make sure every call gets logged is making the UI as simple and easy as possible.

another options is to make the "assign to me" button to trigger the assign form, which is basically an aspx page but designed in sharepoint designer and make it fill in the form and submit it for the user, but i can't quite work out the best way of coding these types of forms.

btw its not the builtin helpdesk list, its a generic list. the assigned to isn't already set, so were not changing it, we're setting it.

my sharepoint books will be here soon which is a plus, i'm sure they will help a lot
    Last edited by oxide54; 20th November 2010 at 12:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cool. There is a built in helpdesk list available in 2010 btw

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast