+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Activation for VLK - need admin permission? in Technical; Hi All Right, I've put Office 2010 into my main machine image given that you can't install via GPO anymore, ...
    Thank Post

Activation for VLK - need admin permission?

Hi All

Right, I've put Office 2010 into my main machine image given that you can't install via GPO anymore, and besides, we have more than enough licenses for all the machines now, so I don't have to be picky!

The only problem I have is that when office eventually decides it needs to activate itself, it needs an administrators credentials to do so. This is really annoying as I'm obviously not omnipresent (not mastered that one yet) so I'm not there when it needs doing and I'm finding now that staff are starting to log "Word has a big red bar at the top and I don't know what I've done", so although I'm finding out where the machines that need activating are, I don't want to have to do this for every single machine.

Is there a way to get around this?

Cheers all
    Andy

TheLibrarian
    Install a KMS server, the server registers an srv entry in DNS that the clients will look for and authorise themselves.

Also use the VAMT 2.x gui to manage the licenses.

Thank Post
    I tried to install a KMS Host for Office, but it said the key was invalid .. I'll try again ..

TheLibrarian
    Did you install the update to allow the KMS server to authenticate Office 2010?

If not that's your issue right there, because KMS out of the box will report the key as invalid if you haven't installed the update.

Now, unfortunately I can't remember where I got the update, I can't find it here (I personally didn't download it so it's not where it should be) and I can't remember the name of it - but at least you could be on the right path now.

5. Thanks to TheLibrarian from:

soveryapt (8th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    Did you install the update to allow the KMS server to authenticate Office 2010?

If not that's your issue right there, because KMS out of the box will report the key as invalid if you haven't installed the update.

Now, unfortunately I can't remember where I got the update, I can't find it here (I personally didn't download it so it's not where it should be) and I can't remember the name of it - but at least you could be on the right path now.
    I'll go and check it out ..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread