+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Office 2010 default save location in Technical; Hello, I have a problem with office 2010 with our student account. when students click save or save as they ...
    Thank Post

Office 2010 default save location

Hello,

I have a problem with office 2010 with our student account. when students click save or save as they get an error saying this task has been disabled buy an administrator. after looking into it a bit more i have found the default save location for all of the office applications is on C:\ where my students don't have access. so this needs to be changed to there my documents

i have done some gogleing and found the .adm templates for office 2010 but i can only find the place to set the default save location for word, we need to set this for all the office applications.

thanks for any advice.

Thank Post
    Is this something for a GPO and preferences perhaps?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that the strange thing here is that it is set to c:\ in the first place as it should by default point to the users documents area. I think that there may be some other setting somewhere that has messed with this to result in this issue. Do you have your documents folders mapped anywhere that it may be misinterpreting.

Thank Post
    There must be something in the ADM/ADMX templates for Office 2010 - can download them from the Microsoft website (at least you could with 2007).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I think that the strange thing here is that it is set to c:\ in the first place as it should by default point to the users documents area. I think that there may be some other setting somewhere that has messed with this to result in this issue. Do you have your documents folders mapped anywhere that it may be misinterpreting.
    Sorry i ment to say there documents on the c drive but i have redirected there my docs to a mapped network drive I also thought it strange that it had not picked this up and redirected to there redirected documents

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    There must be something in the ADM/ADMX templates for Office 2010 - can download them from the Microsoft website (at least you could with 2007).
    I have the AMD files (there on the 2010 CD) i have only found the option to change the save location of power point. the option is only under power point and nothing else :S

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried mapping the My Documents folder to a UNC share \\server\docs$\user instead of a drive letter and seing if it like this any better?

Thank Post
    i know its on my home system but mine defaults to my my docs (which is on d drive) just goes to Libraries\Documents might be a redirect issue?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Did you find a solution to this, we're getting the same thing.

Users My Docs are redirected to their home drive which is a UNC Path, but if they try to save a document (for example an attachment from Outlook 2010) they get a message:

Restrictions: The operation has been cancelled due to restricts in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

You press ok, then it just goes to the redirected location anyway and you can then save it.

Most annoying.

Pete

Thank Post
    Hi Pete,

We did find what it was. users need read permissions down then entire folder path

for example
    \\server\student\year group\%username%

If the student only has read wright access to the %username% folder we received the error

If we add the students group to the student + year group folders to give read only access and have read wright access to the %user name% folder it was not stroppy and dident throw an error

hope I make sense

Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    Did you find a solution to this, we're getting the same thing.

Users My Docs are redirected to their home drive which is a UNC Path, but if they try to save a document (for example an attachment from Outlook 2010) they get a message:

Restrictions: The operation has been cancelled due to restricts in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

You press ok, then it just goes to the redirected location anyway and you can then save it.

Most annoying.

Pete

10. Thanks to ravenadsl from:

FragglePete (15th October 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread