+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Office Software Thread, Office 2007 in Technical; I have today received our office 2007 enterprise dvd and am trying it out on my laptop before deploying it ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,922 Posts
    Blog Entries

Office 2007

I have today received our office 2007 enterprise dvd and am trying it out on my laptop before deploying it widely. Has anyone else used it yet? What are people's thoughts? or more importantly - what does it break? SIMS.net?

Cheers
    Tony

Thank Post

Re: Office 2007

Been using Office 2007 for a while now. I like it. One major gotcha is backward compatibility. You have to save as office 2k3 format for older versions to read. There is a plug in available for download from the Microsoft Office site for Office 2003 to allow it to read Office 2k7 files and I would strongly recommend you deploy that AND make students aware of it before going ahead.

Unfortunately it needs latest service packs etc. to install.

Love the self setup feature of outlook. Also like the online collaboration with Windows Live Messenger.

As for SIMS - well if you breath it breaks it so no surprise there.

Thank Post

I've used it my self a bit, and i hated going back to Office 2003. I cannot wait until we have money to buy it. Its the interface i like most, everything is always where you need it, one click away. Not tried it on an Admin machine yet to see how Sims likes it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'm using the trial edition at the moment. It hasn't done anything untoward to SIMS but then I'm not a heavy SIMS user so if it did I probably wouldn't notice it.

It's nice, it doesn't seem any slower than Office 2003 but the ribbon thing takes some getting used to.

Thank Post

Also like office 2007, at first very disorientating but when you get used to it it's great. I uninstalled the beta for a week before installing the full version. 2003 seemed really ugly and difficult to use.
    I've not experienced any issues yet with it destroying other apps.

Thank Post

Hey

me and a colleague have got it installed on our systems and i like it, espec the new outlook. Its just a lot easier to use, plus the new ribbon makes light work of things. But the other guys are a bit reluctant to try it out at the mo, but ive noticed that you have to change the default save format to .doc other wise it the doc wont be backwards compatible.
    And whats this new program called, groove i think, whats that all about??
    Was asked about sims from our admin lot and i said i aint tried yet, but am sure that there will be a post on here to say that it dont work.

Thank Post

Office 2007 is very nice.

I want it :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,922 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, it does look nice. But I am going to assume that our teachers won't like it because it looks different. How soon should I force it upon them anyway?

Thank Post

thats the question that we have got too. Trouble is teachers dont like change at all. It means learning something new

Thank Post

One major gotcha is backward compatibility. You have to save as office 2k3 format for older versions to read. There is a plug in available for download from the Microsoft Office site for Office 2003 to allow it to read Office 2k7 files and I would strongly recommend you deploy that AND make students aware of it before going ahead.

Unfortunately it needs latest service packs etc. to install.
    We'll be looking to do this in the summer term, trouble is i doubt if we can afford to do all 800 clients. We at the moment have 680 clients with 2003 and the rest with 2000. Is there any issues or downloads for 2000 office?

Has any one else got more details on 2007 and compatibility with other office versions?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Well, it does look nice. But I am going to assume that our teachers won't like it because it looks different. How soon should I force it upon them anyway? Very Happy

thats the question that we have got too. Trouble is teachers dont like change at all. It means learning something new
    wtf?
    Teachers are happy using what they have -because it enables them to teach, you want to force an upgrade that is likely to have a negligible effect on teaching and learning, is known to have backwards compatibility problems (with other schools, LEA, exam boards etc) and the government are currently advising schools NOT to deploy it. sounds masochistic. Dish out OOo and wait a year.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

My phased intro of Office 2007 is to set the default save options via GPO to the "old" .doc, .xls etc which is possible. Put the 2007 file update thingy on all our 2003 machines (Is there an GP deloyable version of this yet as I couldn't find one the other month?) and then put Office 2007 on all the Staff PCs so they can learn and play, then in a few months time let rip with it.

Thank Post

I'm still dubious as to how well received Office 2007 will be. The new interface will require re-writes of instructional material (and that is after the teachers have learnt to use the software too).

I've said it before but now is looking like an idela time to tempt people towards OOo... especially if you don't have a Schools' Agreement.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    I'm still dubious as to how well received Office 2007 will be. The new interface will require re-writes of instructional material (and that is after the teachers have learnt to use the software too).

I've said it before but now is looking like an idela time to tempt people towards OOo... especially if you don't have a Schools' Agreement.
    This re-write issue is exactly the reason why our pupils are still using office 2000. Our ICT coordinator refuses to pay for new books.

I used 2007 for a while but went back as I was the only person using it and it seemed a waste of time. Took me a while to get used to the ribbon (undo took me ages to find), I imagine it will take the teachers a great deal longer.

Didn't like ACCESS, although I never had. like the way that it previews the colours and border when you select them, like the way it opens up a faded toolbar when you highlight something.

I'm sure theres loads of clever stuff with sharepoint but we will never use it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    Well, it does look nice. But I am going to assume that our teachers won't like it because it looks different. How soon should I force it upon them anyway? Very Happy

wtf?
    Teachers are happy using what they have -because it enables them to teach, you want to force an upgrade that is likely to have a negligible effect on teaching and learning, is known to have backwards compatibility problems (with other schools, LEA, exam boards etc) and the government are currently advising schools NOT to deploy it. sounds masochistic. Dish out OOo and wait a year.
    Couldn't agree more. Teachers have enough to do without us forcing something on them just because it is new and shiney.

Better to generate the need by working with the few technical evangelists that always exist in a school to iron out all the kinks and answer those compatibility issues.

After all it is going to take a good 18 months before (substitute you well known PC superstore here) has flogged enough cut price PC's with Office 2k7 to the general public for transition to become a major issue.

In the short term I would initiate a pilot - say between now and the summer.

Ensure that staff have had time to redevelop their material to cater for the new Office interface and test their resources (nothing more frustrating than standing in front of a group of students with PC's not doing what they are supposed to do), then gradually introduce.

The GPO set to backward compatibility is a must - certainly for the medium term.

Best guess is that you are looking at next year for most schools before staff will be ready. Of course there are some that are more up for the challenge than most but - much as this stuff is way cool - it has to work in the classroom (and at home) or there is no point.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast