+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Office Software Thread, Office 2007 in Technical; I'm hoping the Office 2k7 rollout won't happen in my lifetime at this job... Certain staff have already seen it, ...
    Thank Post

Re: Office 2007

I'm hoping the Office 2k7 rollout won't happen in my lifetime at this job...

Certain staff have already seen it, and the reaction is abject horror. I'm getting to know it. Outlook is good and fine. Word is taking a little longer to get used to. I'm taking the plunge and installing Vista on a workstation to try and use 'Live', now I have the workspace (I found a desk under my junk today). See how it goes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    wtf?
    Teachers are happy using what they have -because it enables them to teach, you want to force an upgrade that is likely to have a negligible effect on teaching and learning, is known to have backwards compatibility problems (with other schools, LEA, exam boards etc) and the government are currently advising schools NOT to deploy it. sounds masochistic. Dish out OOo and wait a year.
    Ah, but you have to realise that I am expected to keep things up to date - I get questioned as to why we are using an old version of a piece of software if we are paying to keep things up to date. Teachers are not happy with what they have. Office 2003 is clunky and slow and inefficient - they are just used to it now. From my look at 2007 so far, it is much more efficient and much more intuitive to an efficient working environment. If we use the 'teachers are happy using what they have' argument then we would be stuck with people using blackboards, chalk and large sticks.

I will of course wait until we are ready to deploy it, but we have to be brutal at some point and tell our staff that we are going ahead with it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    If we use the 'teachers are happy using what they have' argument then we would be stuck with people using blackboards, chalk and large sticks.

I will of course wait until we are ready to deploy it, but we have to be brutal at some point and tell our staff that we are going ahead with it.
    @localzuk: It's chalkboard, be carefully otherwise you'll have the politically correct brigade afteryou! :P I like the idea of the large stick though. Although i think upgrading to "cattle-prod 2.0" would be recommended. The front-end is shocking but manages to produce results. :twisted:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Haha, ok. I'm just remembering what it was called when I was at school and we don't use them here so I didn't know that it had been PCified.

I am guessing that if I ordered a cattle prod there would be calls from all over school for them - a useful teaching aid! (And then there is the parents who will then want in on it!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I'm not against technological progress, on the contrary.
    I do believe the research of Becta and their advise is valuable, particularly in light of 'noises' from the EU about OpenDocument format, that Office2007 will 'enhance the digital divide', and the massive cost (nationally) on testing, buying and deploying 2007 - just the thought of sending every teacher in the school for training on the new interface for Word,Excell,Outlook makes me shudder. You forget that there are a considerable number of schools and businesses still running office97/2k - it suits their needs. I just don't think its a good idea to jump on the latest bandwagon, when there is so much advice to the contrary. Seems like you've adopted a 'change for changes sake' policy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Nope, it has been put on me by the fact that we pay for a schools license and get the latest versions of software through it and therefore the school wants new things - to be at the forefront of technology.

Also, as I said - I won't be rolling it out until our LEA advises us to really (which will probably be later this year).

I am but a pawn in this game of chess.

Personally, I hate the fact that we pay a yearly license to use office when there are perfectly good free options out there but it isn't really upto me.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    I'm not against technological progress, on the contrary.
    I do believe the research of Becta and their advise is valuable, particularly in light of 'noises' from the EU about OpenDocument format, that Office2007 will 'enhance the digital divide', and the massive cost (nationally) on testing, buying and deploying 2007 - just the thought of sending every teacher in the school for training on the new interface for Word,Excell,Outlook makes me shudder. You forget that there are a considerable number of schools and businesses still running office97/2k - it suits their needs. I just don't think its a good idea to jump on the latest bandwagon, when there is so much advice to the contrary. Seems like you've adopted a 'change for changes sake' policy.
    Opendocument format, digital divide, cost of testing and deploying..they are all fairly good arguments against adopting the latest and greatest Office suite from MS. We still run Office 2000 and despite my protestations that 2003 is much better, probably won't be moving over to even that version this year. Eventually though schools will have to either invest time and resources into a new OS and Office suite, or look for alternatives that can maintain the way things have been done to date (i.e. OpenOffice 2x).

Even so I have started training myself on Office 2007 in a serious way so that when staff come in with it or want training and advice on it I can give some answers to them. The same with Vista. You see the product doesn't cost that much in education, and the main problem is document format (cured by using the MS Compatibility tool) and training. There's where we as technicians can give additional value and work at helping staff and students adapt to new technology and tools by offering training and classroom support where needed. It isn't ever easy, but if we are preparing students for work where IT rarely stays static, then it shouldn't be that much of a deal. Perhaps a year or so down the road, but not a big deal.

Might be pie-in-the-sky thinking, but it's where I'm headed right now.

Paul

Thank Post

Oh yeah... my other reason for not wanting to move to Office 2007 yet is that fact it would cost approx. £8500 in licenses :?

Thank Post

I have already rolled Office 2007 out across the entire college...

I started with just one IT suite and 1 Staffroom PC with it on, leaving Office 2003 installed so they could use either. Within a week i had 75% of the staff and pupils wanting to know when it would be around the rest of the college as they liked it that much.

So i did as they asked, rolled it out to all pc's including the Admin Office, some didn't like it for a couple of weeks but now they have no worries about it. Yes we have some problems with backward compatiblity but that is just education. Staff are allowed to have copies at home so they have no complaints about it not working at home either....

All in all been a good result from putting it out around the college.

Thank Post

Rolling Office 2007 to all Pupil PCs over summer
    Slowly introducing it to Staff - New PC's get it by default - existing PC's will get it if staff member requests it- or when the PC is rebuilt

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12