+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Export Contacts / Messages from OWA in Technical; I know this isnt the right place to post this but seeing as i don't run the exchange server i ...
    Thank Post

Export Contacts / Messages from OWA

I know this isnt the right place to post this but seeing as i don't run the exchange server i couldnt see anywhere to put it.

One of my schools is closing, as a result all the staff are going to other places and will no longer have thier school email accounts. For some this is okay as they never used them and had everything go through thier hotmail. But there are a few that used it as thier only email account and now have alot of emails saved in OWA, that have been sorted etc... They also have alot of contacts that they want to copy across to a hotmail account.

I can't see anyway of exporting the contacts. As for the messages I suggested that they forward them to thier new account. If they have ALOT and want to keep them all i'm going to suggest they use IMAP to copy the emails and structre down to thier home PC, but id rather they try to keep e-mails stored and accessed in the ether.

Thank Post
    The best way I can think of if it's not too many people is to add the Exchange Account to Outlook, let it Synchronise and then export a PST file containing all the E-Mails, this can be then imported into a new exchange account or any other mail system you may be planning to use, you can also then export the contacts from here into various formats including WAB and CSV.

D

3. Thanks to danrhodes from:

Arcath (25th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    I'd say pst from outlook or outlook express too.
    i'm moving this to the office software forum, as that is your client app.
    you may get other different responses.

Thank Post
    You can do it en mass by using exmerge on the exchange server. You can export all email users to PST.

6. Thanks to jsnetman from:

danrhodes (25th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    I know this isnt the right place to post this but seeing as i don't run the exchange server i couldnt see anywhere to put it.

One of my schools is closing, as a result all the staff are going to other places and will no longer have thier school email accounts. For some this is okay as they never used them and had everything go through thier hotmail. But there are a few that used it as thier only email account and now have alot of emails saved in OWA, that have been sorted etc... They also have alot of contacts that they want to copy across to a hotmail account.

I can't see anyway of exporting the contacts. As for the messages I suggested that they forward them to thier new account. If they have ALOT and want to keep them all i'm going to suggest they use IMAP to copy the emails and structre down to thier home PC, but id rather they try to keep e-mails stored and accessed in the ether.
    This is not an elegant solution but it can be done this way:In OWA, start a new email, so that your auto complete contacts appear in a list. SELECT ALL of the contacts, click 'To' to plug all the contacts you selected into an email header. From within the email header, copy the list of contacts, then paste the list into Word (to clean up).

Use Word's Find/Replace to clean up the contact list, using macros, if possible. Once you have the contacts in list form, you can massage the data to be imported into some email client, such as Outlook, which is the one I use.
    Outlook 2010 can import Excel data and turn it into Contacts data using the "File/Open/Import/ Import from another program or file" commands.
    The contacts data must be saved in Excel 2003-2007 file format, and the data columns must be Range Names for the import to work in Outlook. Outlook will allow you to map each Range Name in the spreadsheet to a field name in the Outlook Suggested Contacts data file. The email addresses will now be automatically filled in as the user types one of the imported contacts when creating new email with Outlook 2010.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread