+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Office Software Thread, Its Here!! in Technical; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en ADMX files (posted 7th May so should be newer than above)...
    Thank Post
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

ADMX files (posted 7th May so should be newer than above)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1875 View Post
    Download details: Office 2010 Administrative Templates and OCT

ADMX files (posted 7th May so should be newer than above)
    I have just checked the x86 ones and the admx files are the same (base + en-us) including modification date fyi all. Not check adm files.

Thank Post
    Howdy all,

We missed out on deploying Office 2007 so we're going straight from 2003 to 2010, and I wondered how everyone here is planning to deploy it? I didn't realise that 2007 didn't properly support MSI deployment and that 2010 is the same.

If you're a large site and don't have a SCCM server, how do you plan to push Office 2010 out to users? The officially supported options from Microsoft are:

Run from a network share - No good as we have 800 PCs and staff don't have install rights
    GP Startup Scripts - A step backwards from proper MIS/GPOs (more on this in a sec)
    MS SCCM Server - We don't have one!
    App Virtualisation - Don't have the infrastructure set up to do this and not really what we want

The startup scripts are closest to what we're used to doing, but it just seems such an awkward way of doing things compared to an MSI. If I properly package and deploy the software as an MSI then it will be a 'managed' install I can easily add through Group Policies, when a PC falls out of scope of that policy or if I want to remove the software it'll cleanly uninstall automatically, and I can easily configure the MSI with MST Transform files. Startup scripts will require more work to implement, I'll need to run checks to see if the software is already installed, the MSP package will have to be deployed after Office is installed, and I'll need a whole new script to uninstall everything.

Microsoft's reasoning behind removing MSI deployment support is that you can't schedule the installs and that lots of computers pulling down MSIs could hammer the network - how the heck is that any different from a startup script?!

Hoping I'm missing something here...
    Chris

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information