+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 63
Office Software Thread, Its Here!! in Technical; Originally Posted by FN-GM Not another Microsoft product requiring activation Yep, it even needs its own KMS Host Server!! If ...
  1. #16

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,689
    Thank Post
    861
    Thanked 661 Times in 434 Posts
    Rep Power
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Not another Microsoft product requiring activation
    Yep, it even needs its own KMS Host Server!! If they keep this up we'll need a dedicated server just to run KMS Servers!

  2. #17


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by napsburypark View Post
    Can anyone tell me how much a site licence for Office 2010 will cost for a secondary school 300 machines & 1500 users?

    Thank you.
    It's likely to be around £30 per license - so 9 grand ish without schools agreement.
    We pretty much ditched MSOffice now, we still have legacy installations of 2003 but all new equipment has only Google Docs and OpenOffice. Saves us over 20k every 3-4 yrs.

  3. #18

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,090
    Thank Post
    891
    Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,501 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Yep, it even needs its own KMS Host Server!! If they keep this up we'll need a dedicated server just to run KMS Servers!
    Its getting annoying. The Pirates can get round the activation. Pretty easy as well to be honest.

  4. #19

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,689
    Thank Post
    861
    Thanked 661 Times in 434 Posts
    Rep Power
    500
    What they should do is release KMS in an MMC with the option to add "modules" for the likes of Windows Vista/2008, 7/2008 R2, Office 2010, etc so that its easier to manage KMS without the need for that bloody slmgr.vbs script

    VAMT is better, but still clunky...

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    76
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It's likely to be around £30 per license - so 9 grand ish without schools agreement.
    We pretty much ditched MSOffice now, we still have legacy installations of 2003 but all new equipment has only Google Docs and OpenOffice. Saves us over 20k every 3-4 yrs.
    Really, was that a decision forced upon you by SMT or something that the IT department at your place suggested? It just seems with the vast majority of industry using a version of MS Office as there office package, to remove the avialability of that from students seems a little short sighted.

    Im not knocking your idea, just wandering how you came to it?
    Mike

  6. #21

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    Thank Post
    698
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    What they should do is release KMS in an MMC with the option to add "modules" for the likes of Windows Vista/2008, 7/2008 R2, Office 2010, etc so that its easier to manage KMS without the need for that bloody slmgr.vbs script

    VAMT is better, but still clunky...
    This will help: Microsoft Office 2010 KMS Host License Pack

    This download contains an executable file that will extract and install KMS host license files. These license files are required for the KMS host service to recognize Office 2010 KMS host keys. It will also prompt you to enter your Office 2010 KMS host key and activate that key.
    No need to use slmgr.vbs for Office unless you have some special configuration to do.

    Furthermore, Office 2010 doesn't need "its own KMS Host server", it is quite happy using the same server you use for Windows KMS activation. KMS is hardly a heavyweight service; you'd be hard pushed to find any Windows server in your school without the resources to run it.

  7. #22

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,090
    Thank Post
    891
    Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,501 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    455
    would you need a minimum 30 installs of office to have this working like with windows?

  8. #23

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    Thank Post
    698
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    395
    There is a minimum, but it's a much more sensible 5 (yes, five).

    Microsoft Office 2010 Engineering : Volume Activation
    Office KMS clients are activated when five or more computers with Office attempt activation with the KMS host.

    (FYI the same page says it's 25 for Windows, rather than 30, which is what I'd understood it to be. I still wish it was the same as Office as I've only got 19 Windows 7 machines here right now!)

  9. #24

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,640
    Thank Post
    925
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 819 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    (FYI the same page says it's 25 for Windows, rather than 30, which is what I'd understood it to be. I still wish it was the same as Office as I've only got 19 Windows 7 machines here right now!)
    Wipe one and reactive and you should be good to go. Also you do know if you switch any 2008/2008R2 servers to KMS they count as well so you could just switch a server.

  10. #25


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by mbedford View Post
    Really, was that a decision forced upon you by SMT or something that the IT department at your place suggested? It just seems with the vast majority of industry using a version of MS Office as there office package, to remove the avialability of that from students seems a little short sighted.

    Im not knocking your idea, just wandering how you came to it?
    Mike
    A bit of each really, after a few discussions with SMT the school has decided to focus on what is the best long term solutions for the school and the students, rather than that of industry. Spending tens of thousands of pounds on a package that has several viable and cheaper alternatives didn't seem to be in the long term interests of the school. The ICT (teaching department) agreed that they could use OpenOffice and google for teaching, and that they were to focus on teaching the concepts and not teaching specific functions of particular applications. The financial decision was obviously a big part - compounded the fact that we do not have licenses for enough copies of MSOffice to deploy site-wide. We'll still install MSOffice (2003) upon request, if an identifiable business need can be proven.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Medway, Kent
    Posts
    196
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    has it showed up on anyones volume site yet?

  12. #27
    AIT
    AIT is offline
    AIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    369
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    not for me yet

  13. #28

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,640
    Thank Post
    925
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 819 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    448
    It will probably only pop up at about 4-5pm on Thursday tbh. Thursday is the launch for VL and Redmond seems to put it live around 4-5pm our time.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Medway, Kent
    Posts
    196
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    thats no fun. never thought i'd be excited about new office!

  15. #30

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    Thank Post
    698
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    395
    Just spotted that the final version of the VAMT 2.0 tool went up on the Microsoft Downloads site yesterday:

    Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT) 2.0

    Irritatingly, it throws an error when trying to import my list of computers from VAMT 1.2
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 27th April 2010 at 12:47 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •