+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Office Software Thread, Outlook 2010, a sensible decision in Technical; You're all missing the most important thing about 2010... you can make it black! Microsoft really are delivering with their ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    You're all missing the most important thing about 2010... you can make it black!
    Microsoft really are delivering with their features, or are they? I hope you can't make it all black otherwise that would be silly

then won't this automatically go to the net on redirected My Docs?
    Yes in theory. I can't see how else it would work.

Thank Post
    won't this automatically go to the net on redirected My Docs?
    ..which might be (by default) offline cached, but IIRC PSTs are excluded from that default caching(?)

This sounds like fun.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Even when you assume there's an Exchange, you still really need the archiving to a PST bit to get around lots of people's inability to spring clean their mailboxes.
    What about Archive Mailboxes in Exchange 2010?

4. Thanks to Arthur from:

PiqueABoo (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    You're all missing the most important thing about 2010... you can make it black!
    Wonder if MS had been having a Rolling Stones moment and been looking at Red Doors and wanting to paint them black for a colour change and went BING idea lets paint Outlook black!!!

Thank Post
    @Dos Box -- Glad you're enjoying some of the new Outlook features. I'm sure the Outlook folks would love to hear your feedback. You can all share your thoughts at the Outlook page on Facebook.

Join them by searching "Microsoft Outlook" at Facebook. It's a great way to help improve Outlook prior to its official release later this year!

Thanks!
    Kim
    Microsoft Office Outreach

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Overall, I think the new Outlook version is a huge improvement over older versions.

Simple things such as conversation threads, being able to quickly and easily create single click action buttons, having a easy to see mailbox quota status display etc... All will make admin a lot easier.

My only hope is that its reliability increases a little. It regularly crashes for me at the moment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I have done it, pointing to H:\ for example which is mapped and the PST files were about 120MB and it worked with no slowdown. Any more than a few users and you'd be better off setting up Exchange anyway!
    You can run across the M6 with traffic flowing but I wouldn't recommend it :-)

it's one of the many things which you can do on a small network but which will bring a bigger one grinding to a miserable halt - believe me, I've seen it :-(

It's possible that MS have completely rewritten the PST code (the problem was something to with the way Outlook wrote to PST files so it's possible to fix it but the problem's been around a long time so I would have thought they would have fixed it before now if it was trivial)

I'll have to stick Outlook 2010 on a machine with redirected my docs and see what it does - I do hope they've got clever code which recognises "network my docs" and puts the PST somewhere local.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah one thing that i find extremely annoying at the moment is the fact that everytime i go to create a "rule" it crashes!! x64 Version

I am sure that will be fixed upon release

James.

Thank Post
    What about Archive Mailboxes in Exchange 2010?
    Didn't know that existed.. 2010 is still on the to-do list i.e. when everyone else has finished finding the initial bugs.

But, the problem is I really want the people who can't manage their mailboxes to get their mountains of old crap out of Exchange - the idea of it being a second mailbox, especially another one that they'll also end up searching (which always used to be and probably still is just a bit of a performance hit) isn't that appealing. MS might want you to keep adding extra Exchange boxes to handle this, but budgets can have other ideas.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    The first service pack for Exchange 2010 should enable you to split off the archive mailboxes into a separate DAG so you could use cheaper/larger SATA disks specifically for less frequently accessed e-mail.

You're right about staff needing to clear out their inboxes. They are terrible at doing that at my school. Some of them want to keep every e-mail they have ever been sent. 1GB+ PSTs are an absolute pain to deal with (especially over wireless networks).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If staff are keeping every email and you're only up to 1Gb then you should count yourself lucky :-)

We have people with 4Gb in their Exchange mailbox and goodness knows what in PST files, mbox files and other random mail stores.

We are starting to implement Symantec Enterprise Vault - this basically extracts messages older than a defined limit and stores them on a file server. It replaces them with a stub in Exchange; if you use Outlook, Entourage or OWA in Internet Explorer then there's a button on each archived message to allow you to retrieve the message. On the whole it works well (as long as you don't use Firefox, Thunderbird, Pine or any of the other mail clients which are common in Universities) but the huge stumbling block is that email older than (say) 10 years will be deleted. This just isn't going to happen - we have people threatening to take us to court if we delete their email. Some of this is just bluster but some is genuine; some people really do need email pretty much forever. The trouble is, they don't sort the "meet you for lunch in 10" emails from the critical stuff!!

I love email; I don't know how we ever managed without it but sometimes I wish we could just make it all go away ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love the fact it shows you your calendar around any timeslot selected, in the meeting request - simple but effective.

Also the presence integration with OCS is much better

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    If staff are keeping every email and you're only up to 1Gb then you should count yourself lucky :-)

We have people with 4Gb in their Exchange mailbox and goodness knows what in PST files, mbox files and other random mail stores.

We are starting to implement Symantec Enterprise Vault - this basically extracts messages older than a defined limit and stores them on a file server. It replaces them with a stub in Exchange; if you use Outlook, Entourage or OWA in Internet Explorer then there's a button on each archived message to allow you to retrieve the message. On the whole it works well (as long as you don't use Firefox, Thunderbird, Pine or any of the other mail clients which are common in Universities) but the huge stumbling block is that email older than (say) 10 years will be deleted. This just isn't going to happen - we have people threatening to take us to court if we delete their email. Some of this is just bluster but some is genuine; some people really do need email pretty much forever. The trouble is, they don't sort the "meet you for lunch in 10" emails from the critical stuff!!

I love email; I don't know how we ever managed without it but sometimes I wish we could just make it all go away ...
    wouldn't a live@edu service sort of make it go away, from an administrative burden angle that is

Thank Post
    I have been running Office 2010 beta for a bit. I have Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 with redirected documents (Test environment) and the pst files (I have 3?) are in Documents and running over the network. Never noticed till now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12