+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Office Software Thread, Adobe reader 9.2 out in Technical; The redirection bug happens specifically when the AppData folder is redirected to a UNC path (though not always, curiously). I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    The redirection bug happens specifically when the AppData folder is redirected to a UNC path (though not always, curiously). I know this problem quite intimately because we had a site licence for Adobe Acrobat in my last school and had therefore paid for support from Adobe. We were one of the first organisations to raise a support case with Adobe, certainly in the UK; when I called it had not even been confirmed as a known issue as far as the UK helpdesk was concerned. 6 months went by before they finally admitted they couldn't fix the problem, and they dropped support for folder redirection. The most galling part was that they did officially support it until then, and had promised a proper fix in 9.1.

The problem is rooted in some dodgy code in Reader that expects the path to AppData to start with a drive letter and not a \. If you redirect to a mapped drive, it works fine (though doing redirection in that way has it's own pitfalls). Latest version of Premiere Elements has the same bug, FYI.

Thank Post
    It seems that Linguascope Online requires AR too, I am currently using Foxit, have put on AR6 for Accelerated Reading, but now we have two resources that require it, I am considering putting on 9.2, has anyone found out if the prob is fixed or do we still have to wait until 2010.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by knightnets View Post
    It seems that Linguascope Online requires AR too, I am currently using Foxit, have put on AR6 for Accelerated Reading, but now we have two resources that require it, I am considering putting on 9.2, has anyone found out if the prob is fixed or do we still have to wait until 2010.

Our languages dept use linguascope and linguastars and they've never reported issues and we use Foxit. What exactly doesn't work?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    We changed Adobe Reader for Foxit I'm just sick of the updates being so large and frequent.
    That makes 2 of us. Switched a while back, so easy to deploy and keep up to date, and (most importantly) IT WORKS!! lol ..

Adobe do their paid software really well, just a shame their free bits like reader leave a little to be desired at times!

Thank Post
    Adobe reader will crash on Vista if you are using mandatory/roaming profiles and do not have an Appdata\Locallow folder

To stop it creating an Organizer90 file on the desktop you also need a AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0 folder.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Adobe reader will crash on Vista if you are using mandatory/roaming profiles and do not have an Appdata\Locallow folder

To stop it creating an Organizer90 file on the desktop you also need a AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0 folder.

So is this a Vista and above issue then? I never noticed a problem when we used Adobe Reader and we've used redirected profiles for a while now. Actually we stopped at 8.1.2 so we might not of encountered the issue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    So is this a Vista and above issue then? I never noticed a problem when we used Adobe Reader and we've used redirected profiles for a while now. Actually we stopped at 8.1.2 so we might not of encountered the issue.
    Vista bug, possibly 7. A locallow folder is not created by windows when the user logs in.

Acrobat handles this by crashing in the same manner as the previous redirection bug, along with crashing IE when visiting a pdf.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Vista bug, possibly 7. A locallow folder is not created by windows when the user logs in.

Acrobat handles this by crashing in the same manner as the previous redirection bug, along with crashing IE when visiting a pdf.

How graceful

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123