+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Office Software Thread, Adobe reader 9.2 out in Technical; The next major release of Adobe Reader/Acrobat is v10.0 which should be out at the same time or slightly before ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 1,988 Posts
    The next major release of Adobe Reader/Acrobat is v10.0 which should be out at the same time or slightly before CS5 is released (April 2010?).

Apart from the security vulnerabilities (28 is way too many!), the latest version of Adobe Reader isn't that bad. v9.1 loads really quickly and renders all PDFs properly (unlike FoxIt).

Thank Post
    v9.1 loads really quickly and renders all PDFs properly (unlike FoxIt).
    As far as i'm aware Foxit loads quickly and seems to display pdfs fine. I can deal minor niggles if I don't have to put up with the buggy beast that is Adobe Reader.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 1,988 Posts
    True, but there's the odd PDF I've come across which doesn't display properly in FoxIt (but is fine in Adobe Reader). v9.0 is a definitely a huge improvement over versions 6.0-8.0 which were terrible.

Thank Post
    I've only just pushed out 9.1! (Yes.. I know, slow coach!)

Thank Post
    v9.0 is a definitely a huge improvement
    Unless you're running a perfectly reasonably Windows config with roaming profiles and perhaps a touch of Folder Redirection, when it's a complete crock. How can any vendor/developer with a shred of self-respect participate in making an alleged Windows version of a product that doesn't support roaming profiles?!?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Unless you're running a perfectly reasonably Windows config with roaming profiles and perhaps a touch of Folder Redirection, when it's a complete crock. How can any vendor/developer with a shred of self-respect participate in making an alleged Windows version of a product that doesn't support roaming profiles?!?

we use ver 9.1 with roaming profiles and no issues knwon to date.... what issues do people have???

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    The issue isn't with roaming profiles, it's to do with redirecting Application Data. If you don't do this, then you won't have a problem running Adobe Reader 9.x.

Thank Post
    The issue isn't with roaming profiles, it's to do with redirecting Application Data. If you don't do this, then you won't have a problem running Adobe Reader 9.x.
    We use folder redirection for appdata here so it's probebly a good thing that we don't use AR any more, what was the issue did it just insist on creating an appdata folder on C: anyway?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    what was the issue did it just insist on creating an appdata folder on C: anyway?
    I'm not actually 100% sure as I don't redirect Application Data, but I guess because AR likes Application Data in its default location that it probably throws up various error messages annoying both the users and the poor people managing the network.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'm not actually 100% sure as I don't redirect Application Data, but I guess because AR likes Application Data in its default location that it probably throws up various error messages annoying both the users and the poor people managing the network.
    We use App Data inside our roaming profiles. I think the problem was something to do with UNC paths?
    But 9.0 and 9.1 wouldn't work for us. And I'm hoping someone has tried 9.2 and can let us know if it suffers from the same problem or if they've fixed it...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I do mean the web based version from renlearn.

It will not work on a PC without adobe reader installed. Apparently, if Renaissance Learning get enough complaints about it, they MAY look into getting it to work with Foxit.
    Hi,

I work in Tech support for Renaissance Learning and i thought I should explain a little regarding the Foxit/Adobe Reader problem.

It is not that Renaissance Place does not work with Foxit as such, it is able to view reports and other aspects of the site with no issue however, there is a check that occurs at the begging of any AR quiz. This essentially is there to stop pupils going through a quiz and not being able to view their results as that would be a larger issue for teacher than we currently face now.

The solution we have currently is to have the site check for the active-x component that runs in IE before any quiz is taken to ensure the ability to view the reports exists. We are fully aware of the problems with users using open source PDF viewers and we are keen to get the issue resolved however the final decision lies with our R&D department in the US.

If any of you guys are able to give us any information on why installing Adobe reader is a problem for a school's network then this might help us make a more pressing case for the problem to be resolved and it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if any of you have any thoughts on a way to use Foxit while having the Adobe Reader Active X running this would also fix the issue.

Oli

Thank Post
    If any of you guys are able to give us any information on why installing Adobe reader is a problem for a school's network then this might help us make a more pressing case for the problem to be resolved and it would be greatly appreciated.
    As some have stated Adobe Reader has improved of late BUT, it's big 35Mb (Foxit is about 2Mb) it's buggy and frequently targeted by virus writers so you have to stay on top of the frequent security patches some of which require a reboot. It's also slow compared to Foxit in my opinion.
    Foxit in comparison rolls out very quickly takes mins to prepare the msi (whereas Adobe takes some faffing with mst files and so on) and doesn't require frequent security updates.

Thank Post
    it's to do with redirecting Application Data.
    Yes that was the exact problem I hit and had to swiftly reverse out of around a year ago.

I included roaming profiles in my whinge not because I hit a problem (I'd already given up because of the FR issue), but simply because Adobe say use with roaming profiles is not supported.

To clarify: Use with RPs might work now, but next month's patch may break it at which point Adobe could easily turn round and say "Well we did warn you in the release note...".
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 16th October 2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: To clarify

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post

same here too, in fact we had problems deploying adobe 9 from 7, kept comings when starting, no such problems with foxit reader

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had plenty of problem with Reader when it was deployed too. It magicially repaired itself after first use, breaking File associations and would then no longer open up in an IE window. Via a shortcut it always repaired itself (which took 2 or 3 mins).

After coming across the adobe support forums where other people had the same problems (that were not being answered) I gave up, now I'd recommend FoxIt to anyone for the reasons above, especially deployment.

EDIT: I also use redirection on Appdata, and to be honest Adobe should be supporting this in an enterprise environment

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast