+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Schools Agreement/Home in Technical; With a Schools Agreement, are staff permitted to install Microsoft Office on their home computers? I'm sure I was told ...

Thank Post

Schools Agreement/Home

With a Schools Agreement, are staff permitted to install Microsoft Office on their home computers? I'm sure I was told by our supplier they could but I want to check this.

Thank Post
    Work at Home rights came with ours, yes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In some of the quotes we are currently getting it is licences on a 1 to 1 basis.

300 machines in school - 300 staff at home.

GJE

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    With a Schools Agreement, are staff permitted to install Microsoft Office on their home computers? I'm sure I was told by our supplier they could but I want to check this.
    work at home is a bit of a saw issue. yes you can install it for them but you cannot give them your disks (we've read from MS) to take with them for them to install it. nither may you give them the codes.

under WAH rights they may only legally use the software for school purposes. microsoft have documents on schools agreements stating what you can and cant do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    This page spells out all the details quite nicely: Work at Home licenses for Academic Volume License Customers

Personally, I have opted to inform staff of the Home Use Program instead of Work At Home. While not free to staff, it is a bargain at 8.95 for Office Enterprise, and has the advantage that a) they are permitted to use it for personal use as well as work, and b) there is practically zero administration for the school; you just circulate a website address and promo code to staff (ours is on the staff-only section of our intranet), and the entire purchase and install process is managed by the fulfilment company.

6. 3 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

Edu-IT (26th September 2009), Heebeejeebee (25th September 2009), sahmeepee (25th September 2009)

Thank Post
    The trouble with the Home use programme is that it only applies to Office 2007, and we've yet to upgrade, so we don't want lots of people getting an office that isn't quite compatible. We might skip 2007 anyway, at which point we can point them in the direction of the Office 2010 version.

Currently I show them the OpenOffice, but this confuses them too,,, "wait a free version of office 2003 ? How does that work ? Blah blah".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    This page spells out all the details quite nicely: Work at Home licenses for Academic Volume License Customers

Personally, I have opted to inform staff of the Home Use Program instead of Work At Home. While not free to staff, it is a bargain at 8.95 for Office Enterprise, and has the advantage that a) they are permitted to use it for personal use as well as work, and b) there is practically zero administration for the school; you just circulate a website address and promo code to staff (ours is on the staff-only section of our intranet), and the entire purchase and install process is managed by the fulfilment company.
    That sounds perfect, thanks!

Thank Post
    What a load of poo.

'Have users bring-in their computers for manual installation by you at a central location that you control utilizing volume licensing media. '

Where is the trust?

They'll be wanting us to visit each home and remove it manually next.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    What a load of poo.

'Have users bring-in their computers for manual installation by you at a central location that you control utilizing volume licensing media. '

Where is the trust?

They'll be wanting us to visit each home and remove it manually next.
    I agree that is pretty stupid. If it's to protect the product key used during install, then anyone with half a brain can just use keyfinders to extract it from the registry. There is no reason for them to insist on this.

Thank Post
    Is it me or have Microsoft made the information easier to find? The page linked to above, although the information is similar, is for US/CA.

For UK try: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/educatio...s.aspx#story-1

I noticed:
    Work at Home licences for Campus Agreement and School Agreement customers are available for all application, system, and CAL products that you license at no extra cost. You can order Work at Home licences free of charge when completing your annual software order.
    So I assume that if the order has gone through already, we're too late to request these licenses?

yes you can install it for them but you cannot give them your disks
    You can buy additional discs which they can have though, it seems?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread