Will send some homebaked cookies to anyone who helps resolve this as it's very frustrating!
I voluntarily support a smal primary school remotely, approx 20 PC's. On 2 of them 1 laptop, 1 desktop no-one can send any emails from MS Outlook 2003. info:
1. All users set up with roaming profiles & POP3 external mailboxes
2. All users can send on other machines
3. Admin / local user makes no difference
4. All other connectivity & settings identical to other machines as far as Outlook & email.
5. Error message received is: 0x800CCC0F The connection to the server was interrupted.
6. Sonicwall filtering in use
7. AVG Network Edition in use (incoming mail scan only, although outgoing also working on all other machines)
8. XP in all cases
9. SMTP requires authentication
Things I have tried so far:
1. removing AVG
2. bypassing sonicwall
3. checking all outlook & email settings
4. recreating a user profile
5. setting server timeout to max (10mins)
6. checking for old install of Norton (none)
Google has failed me so far and other instances of the issue seem to usually relate to Norton scanning of outgoing mail, incorrect server settings & filtering.
Any ideas would be most appreciated, in 2 weeks I'll be doing a site visit and will format & start from scratch if I've not resolved it yet ... but I hate being beaten by a machine ... so as I said before ... homebaked cookies in a box, 1st Class to anyone who can help me fix it remotely.
ps: cookie will NOT be baked by me as I wouldn't wish that on anyone, rather my talented Fiancee
Check that you haven't required authentication but not ticked the appropriate box on your clients. If they fail to authenticate, or they're not talking SSL to an SSL port or vice versa, you'll get that connection interrupted message.
It sounds like a configuration issue to do with the mail client. I take it that that the mail boxes are hosted by a third party and if that is the case I would check with them to see if you need to enable authentication to connect to their SMTP server.
Thanks for all the replies, so far! to clear things up:
- It's Pop3 mailboxes hosted with 123-reg
- All the emails work with the same settings on all the other machines
1. James - I have tried recreating the profile with no joy
2. powdarrmonkey - The same outlook settings work on another machine, and auth is required by mail host, but will confirm in case I'm being very thick
3. EduTech - that article has indeed been followed with just re-installing outlook left to try.
4. FN-GM -Machine is fully up to date with xp sp3, ie8, office sp3 & relevant security updates.
5. richard_s - had to enable authentication to get the email to work in the first place. Settings checked and recreated, settings carry with roaming profile to another machine where it all works perfect.
- Bizzarely enough the email that is sent & received while testing the account settings when setting the account up passes through perfectly even on the affected machine ... so what might be different ... have tried sending to multiple accounts and replying also.
- They have changed from local to roaming accounts and this is the first time trying on these 2 machines but have ruled out any profile errors by testing multiple profiles & leaving set locally & no issues anywhere else.
Thank you for the help so far ... will try things tomorrow night.
ps: Cat (fiancee in question) has now agreed to bake said promised cookies