+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Outlook 2003 and mandatory profiles in Technical; HI Seen a few posts but nothing that regards what i need I have Exchange 2007 and using outlook 2003 ...

Thank Post

Outlook 2003 and mandatory profiles

HI

Seen a few posts but nothing that regards what i need

I have Exchange 2007 and using outlook 2003

Whent installing a Local copy of outlook on a fat client and using mandatory profiles the user settings is not set up for email

I read about PRF files

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...402581033.aspx

but does that help when using exchange and the emails are stored in the mail boxes on exchange??

are there anyways to help or idea or advice

Tar

Feebs

Thank Post
    If you create a custom 'transform' using the Office 2003 Custom Installation Wizard (part of the Office 2003 resource kit), it's possible to have Outlook automatically connect to Exchange. It's a while since I've done this though. Perhaps someone who has done this recently could advise...

Thank Post
    PRFs definitely can be used to configure Outlook to connect to an Exchange mailbox (and a lot more).

With normal user profiles you do X, Y and Z, the exchange config is triggered the first time a user runs it and that connection info is saved back to HKCU for next time. But with Mandatory profiles I can't see how this would work unless you're happy for it to repeatedly run the PRF setup the first time they start Outlook 2003 in a given Windows logon session.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    PRFs definitely can be used to configure Outlook to connect to an Exchange mailbox (and a lot more).

With normal user profiles you do X, Y and Z, the exchange config is triggered the first time a user runs it and that connection info is saved back to HKCU for next time. But with Mandatory profiles I can't see how this would work unless you're happy for it to repeatedly run the PRF setup the first time they start Outlook 2003 in a given Windows logon session.
    You can write to HKCU while logged in it just isn't written back to the profile logout so it only needs to be run once each session, using the registry key the user really can't tell and it only takes a few extra seconds to open all but the largest mailboxes.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 904 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would also like to get this to work: Is the method to achieve it documented somewhere?

My starting point:

Mandatory profiles
    Office 2007 Enterprise [Standard install from the DVD] [Slight difference there from the original poster: Sorry: I don't mean to hijack your thread]
    Exchange 2007
    Windows XP Pro: SP3

I would like to get our staff away from the need to use OWA while in school.

I would also like to enable Outlook Anywhere so that we are not dependant OWA while away from school: Apparently Outlook Anywhere is enabled at the [Exchange] server but try as I might I can't get it to work. However I will work on the solution which helps us while on-site first.

Many thanks.

Thank Post
    Uh huh.. maybe I didn't explain that last sentence well enough.

Are you advocating using a PRF e.g. adding just an ImportPrf reg value at logon or something else?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Uh huh.. maybe I didn't explain that last sentence well enough.

Are you advocating using a PRF e.g. adding just an ImportPrf reg value at logon or something else?
    Importprf reg.

Also missed the "first time" when reading your post, but seem to see the repeatedly bit

Logon script etc is ok, but anything that runs outlook to apply it is a bit intrusive.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread