+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Office Software Thread, Setting default file formats in OO3.1 in Technical; Howdy all , Been trying to find an easy way to set the default save formats in OO3.1 as MSOffice ...
  1. #1
    Jake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    954
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    21

    Setting default file formats in OO3.1

    Howdy all ,

    Been trying to find an easy way to set the default save formats in OO3.1 as MSOffice filetypes for all users. Found several ways of doing it on earlier versions of OO but cant seem to find anyone who has a solution for OO3.1. Anyone know of a way? Want to rollout OO3.1 this summer to run alongside MSO, but hesitant to do so without setting the default save formats.

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Opendocument format is the better format, stick with it.
    MSOffice2007 (SP2) opens them by default, and older versions of MSoffice will open ODF with a plugin. .doc is legacy.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    60
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    What we do is subscribe to OpenOffice Enterprise - it costs us around 200 a year but slots into AD and allows easy upgrading, configuration etc. through AD policies. Well worth it. Have a look at Open Office Technology | Group Policy and registry-based management for OpenOffice

  4. #4
    Jake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    954
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Opendocument format is the better format, stick with it.
    MSOffice2007 (SP2) opens them by default, and older versions of MSoffice will open ODF with a plugin. .doc is legacy.
    The problem comes when a member of staff makes an ODF here and takes it home to their PC and cant open it at home because they dont have the plugin. Dont really want to try and ensure that 480 members of staff have a plugin on their home machines. Would simply be easier to ensure that OO saves by default in a format which all can open regardless of any extras.

  5. #5
    Jake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    954
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by scgf View Post
    What we do is subscribe to OpenOffice Enterprise - it costs us around 200 a year but slots into AD and allows easy upgrading, configuration etc. through AD policies. Well worth it. Have a look at Open Office Technology | Group Policy and registry-based management for OpenOffice
    Thanks, I'll pass it on

  6. #6
    ChrisP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    norfolk
    Posts
    150
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by scgf View Post
    What we do is subscribe to OpenOffice Enterprise - it costs us around 200 a year but slots into AD and allows easy upgrading, configuration etc. through AD policies. Well worth it. Have a look at Open Office Technology | Group Policy and registry-based management for OpenOffice


    Pricing is $400 per year for 100 users, and $2 per year for each additional user.


    OUCH!

  7. #7


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Dont really want to try and ensure that 480 members of staff have a plugin on their home machines. Would simply be easier to ensure that OO saves by default in a format which all can open regardless of any extras.
    You should make all 480 members of staff aware of where they can get OpenOffice for free

    As for default formats, you could set the defaults on one user (yours) then copy the profile to your uses, either as a mandatory profile or direct to their user areas. it lives somewhere in c:\doc+settings\user\application data IIRC.

  8. #8


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Pricing is $400 per year for 100 users, and $2 per year for each additional user.


    OUCH!
    not so bad. Our MSoffice cost 30 per user. BigOUCH

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Problem setting default printers
    By Kyle in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th April 2008, 10:49 AM
  2. Default Profiles - setting user directories
    By speckytecky in forum Windows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd June 2007, 07:52 PM
  3. setting a default printer for all users
    By wellwillthisnamedothen in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 8th June 2007, 03:34 PM
  4. Change network printer default setting
    By speckytecky in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31st May 2006, 06:44 PM
  5. Setting a permanent default printer.
    By ninjabeaver in forum Windows
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 23rd August 2005, 05:55 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •