View Poll Results: Whats your Office Suite Strategy?

Voters
58. This poll is closed
  • Mixed M$ Office suites as licences allow

7 12.07%
  • Pre Office 2003 and not changing

1 1.72%
  • Stopping at Office 2003 on all machines

22 37.93%
  • Upgrading to Office 2007 on all machines

22 37.93%
  • Latest M$ as licences allow, Open Office on the rest

1 1.72%
  • Pre Office 2003 and migrating to Open Office

0 0%
  • Office 2003 (or above) and migrating to Open Office

2 3.45%
  • Mixed M$ Office and migrating to Open Office

2 3.45%
  • We only use Open Office/Star Office

1 1.72%
  • We use another office suite not related to M$ or Open Office

0 0%
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Office Software Thread, Whats the current state of play? in Technical; Originally Posted by FABEnterprises A lot of businesses we deal with have only moved recently or are in the process ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FABEnterprises View Post
    A lot of businesses we deal with have only moved recently or are in the process of moving to 2007, schools should really be teaching Office 2007 to stay with current trends.
    I think you will find that the curriculum states that the principles of word processing etc are to be taught, not that they should be taught how to use MS Office specifically. (And that is a whole topic on it's own )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    If you need MSOffice to open files made with a free program, it does rather beg the question as to why not just use the free program - they must do the same things.
    You mean like how I 'need' Photoshop to open .png files made in Tux Paint - which by your reasoning must mean Tux Paint does the same things as Photoshop?

Thank Post
    We run office 2003 on a majority of our workstations, but I will be putting open office onto some of the lesser used ones this year to avoid having to buy more Microsoft licenses for office. There are a lot of areas of the school that just do basic wordprocessing and net browsing that really don't need the office suite.

We have a new director of learning of ICT starting who seems very much on the same wavelength as me, so I'm hoping he'll be open to the idea of using open office on all the curriculum machines, time will tell.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks to everyone whose voted so far. The results are already quiet interesting. Office 2007 is proving more popular than I imagined. I was expecting more Office 2003 as a stopping point. Also I was expecting a few more Office 2003/Open Office mixes. A few more M$ as licenses allow and OO.o on the rest.

Certainly need a few more votes to get a clear picture of what UK schools are doing in the Office stakes. But some trends are already starting to appear.

I'm beginning to wonder if I can make OO.o work or if I'm going to have to back track and make cuts in the HW budget to pay for M$.

What do other schools do? How are you all funding your Office 07 installs? New licenses with each new suite? Splashed out on new licenses for the whole school in one go? or relying on subscriptions or software assurance?

As I have posted before my problem is having licenses for Office 2000/XP and the cost of new 2003/7 licenses is the same as a new computer suite...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    in Office 2007 SP2 you can work on OpenOffice documents without the bother of converting them, so there's one benefit for starters.
    I just seen this article, linked from slashdot. It's written by the ODF alliance and is a factsheet about ODF, acording to them (the people who designed ODF) Microsofts implementation in Office 2007 is "practically worthless"
    http://www.odfalliance.org/resources...DF-support.pdf

Slashdot | ODF Alliance Warns Governments About Office 2007 ODF Support

Thank Post
    current office 2003, with 2007 on our stations

planning on upgrading to 2007 on rest when budget allows, was planned for this year but now moved to fiscal 10-11

Thank Post
    How do people feel about the future for OO.o now that Oracle has bought Sun. I've read articles that think there will be no change and articles suggest that Oracle might drop OO.o as the purchase goes through?

I know that the community will still exist but development will be slow without Sun's financial/technical input (?)...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiendishlyclever View Post
    How do people feel about the future for OO.o now that Oracle has bought Sun. I've read articles that think there will be no change and articles suggest that Oracle might drop OO.o as the purchase goes through?

I know that the community will still exist but development will be slow without Sun's financial/technical input (?)...
    I hope they don't drop it! I have it on all my PC's! What does this mean for virtual box and suns other projects?

Thank Post
    We are currently on Office 2003 but upgrading to 2007 over the summer. We have schools agreement with SA but have only decided now to move to 2007.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TronXP View Post
    We are currently on Office 2003 but upgrading to 2007 over the summer. We have schools agreement with SA but have only decided now to move to 2007.
    Same here. Rolled 2007 to a few admin staff to make sure it works with their systems and they seem very happy with it. ICT wants to teach it from next year anyway, and I have to say I think it is a more useable product than OO and is what the kids and staff are used to.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiendishlyclever View Post

I hope they don't drop it! I have it on all my PC's! What does this mean for virtual box and suns other projects?
    Funny, I hope they do drop it! Just recently discovered the spin off Your Office Suite who basically include all the features and bug fixes that Sun don't want included !?!? It appears Sun are holding development back.

Also Go-oo is based on builds and features developed by Novell.

Then of course you have IBM has the other key player who are investing programmers time to develop OO.o.

In short OpenOffice will continue to grow, develop and improve with or without Sun.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post

Then of course you have IBM has the other key player who are investing programmers time to develop OO.o.
    IBM develop Lotus symphony, a free spinoff of OpenOffice

IBM Lotus Symphony

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12