+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, .docx in Technical; I was quite pleased recently when I realised that OpenOffice can now open ".docx" files, although I expect I'm a ...
    Thank Post

.docx

I was quite pleased recently when I realised that OpenOffice can now open ".docx" files, although I expect I'm a little behind the times. I've never been completely sure of the value of using the new ".docx" format, I'm sure there must be some reason for it... but anyway, I'm finding that unless the document is just text, that OpenOffice 3 can still open it but really messes up the formatting. It all seems a bit pointless. Some files I open show as blank pages it's that bad!

But my friend from work informs me that "docx" is meant to be open source. Not sure I quite believe it, has anyone else heard this, and if it's true why do you think open office handles the files so badly? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,277 Posts
    You may find this description useful. As for opening .docx files incorrectly, I'm not so sure there's much you can do about it.

There are the same/similar problems opening Office 2007 files in Office 2003 with the Compatibility Pack installed. Some work fine, but some don't. It's all very complicated for Network Managers. Some have decided to deploy Office 2007 everywhere and some both Office 2003 and Office 2007 on the same machines.

As a general recommendation, sticking to the same version (whichever application you use) across a whole site minimises problems. If (for example), you had 100 machines and could only afford 50 Office 2007 licenses, I would exercise downgrade rights and use Office 2003 everywhere until a further 50 licenses could be purchased and Office 2007 deployed everywhere.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    It's because MSOffice doesn't correctly support the docx file formats:
    Microsoft Office 2007 fails OOXML conformance test - ZDNet.co.uk

The industry standard in education for word processed documents is actually Open Document format (ODF).* OpenDocument formats are supported after service pack 2 of MSOffice2007 or with a plugin for earlier versions. Most other office suites support ODF natively. MS Office Open XML (OOXML) format is essentially a copy of the Open Document Format; embrace, extend, extinguish...

* http://industry.becta.org.uk/downloa...on_d_final.pdf

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=CyberNerd;311635]It's because MSOffice doesn't correctly support the docx file formats[/url]

I think that Microsoft should use a new strapline... "there's always one idiot that spoils it for everybody else"!

Either that or "we are the law".

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread