+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Open Office "Document in Use" in Technical; First of all... I know i know, Open Office Yuk!! Recently we upgraded all machines from Open Office 2.0 to ...

Thank Post

Open Office "Document in Use"

First of all... I know i know, Open Office Yuk!!

Recently we upgraded all machines from Open Office 2.0 to Open Office 3.0.

We have a shared folder which is mapped to S drive. In this shared folder there are lots of open office documents, ods files.

Before, when a user already has a shared file open, for example test.ods, the second user tring to access the file would get a "Document in Use" error and it would say "Document test.ods is locked for editing by: <user name>" then they would have the option to open a read only copy.

The Open Office Documents have now lost this "Document in Use". Now when a user opens a second copy of the file and saves it, it wipes all previous versions.

I am not sure if upgrading to Open Office 3 caused this problem because we have users in another branch, on another domain, using open office 2 and they seem to be having the same problem. (again, this has only happened recently)

I have tried enabling and disabling the Sharing under Tools > Share Document which is described here but it hasn't helped. All users have read write and modify permissions.

Oh, The shared drive is on a Bufflow Linkstation but I do not think this is the source of the problem as the other branch's shared folder are shared by server 2003.

Thanks
    Fraser
    Last edited by Fraser-09; 2nd March 2009 at 07:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First of all... I know i know, Open Office Yuk!!
    Noting wrong with it. I love it, its nice simple and free! An excellent OpenSource project.

Is this happening on one server?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Noting wrong with it. I love it, its nice simple and free! An excellent OpenSource project.

Is this happening on one server?
    lol, I don't like open office. I've used MS office all my life! Our users are often complaining to us, "Can we have microsoft Office?"

No, we have a server for each branch with their own domains. All branches are connected with VPN's, but network shares do not go through the VPNs as each branch has it's own shared drive.

I dont think the problems are related, I think its just coincidence that it's happened almost at the same time.

We did have a virus let loose in our network which be have now controlled and remove it. The worm happened about the same time but again, i dont think they are related.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moved... Enjoy (good to see more Scottish )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe that the problem is that someone may have turned off the settings which allow documents to be opened and edited by 1 person, and only viewed by another. Has anyone other than you had access to the server recently?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I believe that the problem is that someone may have turned off the settings which allow documents to be opened and edited by 1 person, and only viewed by another. Has anyone other than you had access to the server recently?
    Yes, My bosses (2 of them), a software developer, and the company's own it staff (2 of them) have access to the server, in total 6 people
    (I work for a IT company and we have contracts with lots of other businesses to manage their networks/machines)

Where is this setting so i can check? Is this setting in Open Office?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread