+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Office Software Thread, Free Office Software in Technical; http://portableapps.com/news/2009-02...portable_3.0.1 they have a memory stick version of open office...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts

portable apps ?

http://portableapps.com/news/2009-02...portable_3.0.1 they have a memory stick version of open office

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Cake and eat it comes to mind mate. - Save yourself the hassle and write a nice little simple tutorial for them to do this.

I find that hand holding too much will only lead to poorer initiative later in life; well that's my excuse
    Thats what I originally said lol - maybe im a simplistic way but I still did and on that note LOL

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    The NM doesn't want OpenOffice on the clients
    Seems like installing OOo would be the easiest option... any reason why your boss objects to installing OOo?

You could also install the ODF plugin for Office so OOo would work in Office.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Seems like installing OOo would be the easiest option... any reason why your boss objects to installing OOo?

You could also install the ODF plugin for Office so OOo would work in Office.
    I have no idea but its a no go.

Thank Post
    I'd be approaching him to investigate why, especially if you're then going to lay on a version for them to download, consistency++.

Thank Post
    If your NM doesn't want to install OO then I would suggest that he deals with the problems that not having on the Network creates. Seriously, if your going to suggest to pupils that they should download OO from your VLE but not having the software installed in your school seems a little short sighted to me. If he doesn't want to support the software, or a full installation then why not just install it on 1 or 2 machines. If pupils forget to save their work in MS format they still have machines available to do it themselves.

I agree with the people who are saying its an education thing, teach them how to change the format they save in and they can always do it. Otherwise your always going to get pupils who have it in OO format and need you to convert it for them. Seems to me like your creating an awfull lot of work for a solution that could be easy.

Edit: I realise that's not very helpfull to you, but I think asking you to solve a problem created by the NM is a bit unfair.

Thank Post
    The NM just wants one prog/doc format on the network for WP type work- nothing wrong in that

They'd like pupils to be able to WP at home and using OO seems like a good idea.

MS Office doesn't read OO format so they'd like to be able to distribute OO with MS Office as default file save

Its a reasonable request

The NM is not destroying education/open source movement

I'll bet that many here have comparable restrictive practices implemented for good reasons

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    I've actually gone to the effort of finding the link... Sun ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    The NM just wants one prog/doc format on the network for WP type work- nothing wrong in that
    It does rather limit choice, teachers and students find that they may prefer to use certain tools for certain jobs. OOo is quite simple to install and update with group policies, and it adds extra functionality that MSOffice does not provide. Adding OOo increases flexibility and compatibility.

They'd like pupils to be able to WP at home and using OO seems like a good idea.
    Agreed, but in that case it makes sense to provide the OOo on the school computers. It's always difficult to swap between using different packages when working on the same file, even if there is a good level of interoperability. - even Becta have recommended that service providers should install at least one opensource office suite on school systems to cover this eventuality.

MS Office doesn't read OO format so they'd like to be able to distribute OO with MS Office as default file save
    It does, version SP2 of 2007 or ric's Sun patch both allow MSOffice to save in OpenDocument Format. OOo can even open the newer Docx files giving a good level of interoperability with schools that have migrated to v2007.

It took me a while to convince my NM that OOo was a good idea. At first he was completely hostile, but now he's seen sense - we have had OOo installed alongside MSOffice for years now and staff/students can use either. not sure if we'll ever upgrade MSOffice now though.

Thank Post
    OOo is quite simple to install and update with group policies,
    I might not be uptodate but isn't OO a pain to use with user profiles - doesn't it need configuring for each user/machine combination?

I use OO in all my schools (bar one) so I'm a happy customer .(I only use one logon/machine so I don't have an issues with it)

But I'm sure I've seen many posts saying its not easy to setup/lockdown on a big boys and girls network

But my point is that an NM not wanting to install a secondary program because their happy with the one they've got is not a crime

It could be considered as good management in fact

Should I be pushing Scratch onto you all - its free and your pupils/teachers should be given the widest choice in what software they should be using in teaching/learning ICT (Rhetorical question for those missing my point )

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    I might not be uptodate but isn't OO a pain to use with user profiles - doesn't it need configuring for each user/machine combination?
    It works well with mandatory profiles (1650 students).

Thank Post
    It works well with mandatory profiles
    One ray of sunshine doesn't make a summer

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    to be fair, most large secondaries do still use mandatory profiles for students

Thank Post
    to be fair, most large secondaries do still use mandatory profiles for students
    I apologise

I thought mandatory profiles went out with Windows NT (which was the last time I had much to do with them)

Good to know the old skills might still be useful if I ever have to move "back up" to a secondary.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    But my point is that an NM not wanting to install a secondary program because their happy with the one they've got is not a crime

It could be considered as good management in fact
    No its not a crime, but in my opinion creating work for people to generate a customised office package to distribute to pupils isn't a good solution either. If you are pushing an Office package for home use, then either provide it with a walkthrough of how to save files(because this can be used regardless of what Office package a pupil has at home) or provide them with the facilities to convert the files in school.

It just suprises me that a school would provide an Office package, but not be willing to install it in their own school. There are bound to be pupils who download it at home and dont change the default save option.
    Last edited by penfold; 23rd February 2009 at 02:40 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12