+ Post New Thread
Office Software Thread, Command button in Excel in Technical; I am starting to document my Primary school network. I have created a spreadsheet displaying the switches. Data shows: Row ...
    Thank Post

Command button in Excel

I am starting to document my Primary school network. I have created a spreadsheet displaying the switches.
    Data shows:
    Row 1: Switch name:Port number,
    Row 2: Patch Panel name:Port number,
    Row 3: Device name:keeper
    Row 4: Location:Socket number.

Each of those blocks is repeated across the row just as they are on each switch i.e. 1 to 12, five rows down 13 to 24 etc.

What I would like to do is have a Command button on the next Sheet to collect data from the Switch sheet to display in rows. This is to enable an inventory report to be produced, possibly with additional information for each device, and to enable sorting into Rooms or alphabetical on device names.

I know that I can copy from one sheet and transpose paste into the next sheet, but I think it would be better to be able to do it automatically. However, I have little idea how that can be achieved.

Is it possible? Does anyone have something similar? Or is there another way to do it?

Many thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know this is prpbably not the answer that you want to hear but have you looked into Microsoft Access, this kind of thing is trivial in that enviroment and you will have full use of your data.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I know this is prpbably not the answer that you want to hear but have you looked into Microsoft Access, this kind of thing is trivial in that enviroment and you will have full use of your data.
    Good point, I started in Excel because I know how to use it, if I was to begin in Access I would have to learn a whole heap more things (been a long time since I designed a database). I am possibly not thinking the whole thing through enough, however one thing leads to another and the thought process isn't always "joined up". Thanks for the suggestion though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread